Amish Life

Roadrunner said:
Heck, I wouldn't mind giving up a day or two to live their lifestyle and experience it...but I just might take away their rooster...heh heh, and not have to wake up like 4 am to start the daily rounds of chores! :lol:
Yes me too - I would like to swop our lifestyles for 2 weeks to see which one is better - amish or us? It should be interesting holiday.

I think Amish people don't have money problem, stress free life but not independant like us.

Amish is not only religious that TV/movies are not allowed to watch, others such as Brethren (a cross between amish/normal people, I can tell they are Brethren as they are wearing handscaf, long skirt and long hair to look like a plain jane, but dress fashion like us as long their legs are not shown greatly, and they don't believe in listen car radio, as I know few Deaf Brethren, they are keep to themselves).

Brethren parents will bring up their child until she/he is 16 and asked to chose to follow theirs, if not, they have the right to disown them as God comes first more than their offsprings!

My family and I went to Lancaster County, Pennsylvania every year summer. I never bored with Amish cultural. They are very friendly and anti-technology. They preferred to not watching the T.V,. using the computer or reading the newspaper. They did not want to know about the media. It would influence in their religious to be devastating. They want to raise their children in faithful with God to stay out of trouble.

They wear the black or blue clothes to prevent the lust in the sexually. The men who have their beard, their identify as marriage men! If you see the men who have no beards, they are single! Women do not wear their making-up.

They work very hard on craft by their hand making. The Amish men’s muscles are very stronger on their arms and chest because they dig the dirt at the farms.

I always am fascinating in their Amish cultural. I did ride on Amish Buggies, it was so much fun. I would love it for my wedding. I want something different from our traditional.

I have two books about their society and cultures. I do know Amish Deaf family in Intercourse, PA. They are very friendly and strong Christian people.

That where, we went this festival every year summer. We go to many places in Reading, Allentown, Kutztown, Intercourse and Lancaster, PA

http://www.kutztownfestival.com/

Hershey, PA is very famous chocolate town. My son almost enrolled Milton School last four years ago. They provided a clothes, haircut, academic, tutor, food, etc.. For low-income family. Milton School is very excellent school. My to be father-in-law and his brother graduated there. Both of them are doctorates!

Oh gosh, I miss Pennsylvania !! Hopefully, we will go to Pittsburgh, PA for the holidays to see my fiancé’ relatives. My favorite to drive on the roads to view huge farm. It reminds me of the movie “Sound of Music” all the green land.

I-78w. to Exit 49A, 100s. to 222s. to Kutztown. Route 222 is awesome view !! Damn it !! I miss this year !! :cry:

I respect all the hard work the Amish people puts into their daily life... altho some of their philosophy I might not agree with. :)

Man they would still go on and be fine even if the government broke down and the country has a power blackout permanently... no access to electricity and all. We can learn a lot from them and apply whatever is appriopiate to our daily life! :) It just brings up the idea of how much dependent we are on technology. That's sorta scary to me... b/c I am dependent on the internet and technology for my connection to all the information and people. I'd have to learn all over again and survive off the land and the human interaction on a smaller scale of where civilization is concerned, slowly, reconnecting to other human "tribes"... lol

Yeah, Amish has been a constant source of fascination for the outsiders.
I remember seeing the Amish people and their buggies at St.Jacob's Farmer Market in Ontario, Canada. I think it was near Kitchener or Guelph, I cannot recall.The market itself was fablust.

I also saw For Richer or Poorer, and that flick with Harrison Ford and Lukas Haas.

Did you know that once the Amish child reaches age 18 or something, their parents and the church will release them into the outside world for a year so they can figure out which world they want to live in. Many of them partied alot, and did all the normal things as well, illegal things, frowned upon in the Amish religion. Most of them went back to live a Amish life, though.

Miss-Delectable said:
Did you know that once the Amish child reaches age 18 or something, their parents and the church will release them into the outside world for a year so they can figure out which world they want to live in. Many of them partied alot, and did all the normal things as well, illegal things, frowned upon in the Amish religion. Most of them went back to live a Amish life, though.

Yep it's called "rumspringa" period of their life.

Miss-Delectable said:
Yeah, Amish has been a constant source of fascination for the outsiders.
I remember seeing the Amish people and their buggies at St.Jacob's Farmer Market in Ontario, Canada. I think it was near Kitchener or Guelph, I cannot recall.The market itself was fablust.

I also saw For Richer or Poorer, and that flick with Harrison Ford and Lukas Haas.

Interesting! Didn't know about that -- but I reckon it's a good way for them to sample the world outside their world and see what they really want to do with the rest of their lives. Either stay in the modern world or go back to where they came from. I reckon it must've been quite an eye-opener for them, hey? :)

Yes Miss Delectable,
St Jacobs, Nearby Kitchener, Ontario. One day We'll pay visit in St Jacobs soon. One of my friend used attend there all the time reason lotsa of bargin to sell good reasonable price which isn't same of retail prices. Tasty so good and delcouisly desert *groan* I would love to buy Amish's desert..
Not far away from my home area. Only 1 hr drive to get there.

Yeah, Amish way of life is fascinating cuz they live like the old world, no electricity and all..like living in time warp. There is an Amish community not far from our town so whenever we do that way, we often see them in their horse and buggies, pretty interesting to watch them. I have seen their house up close and there are no modern appliances since they dont use electricity, really simple style of living, they pump their own water. we saw no cars, tractors or nothing! They dress simply, women always wear dresses even though i have seen them wear tennis shoes!..married men have beards, single men dont. We went to the Amish sale, they had all kinds of baked goodies, quilts, crafts all made by them...I have heard some young people have abandoned thier way of life for more modern life and a very few come back to Amish way of life. I would not live Amish way myself cuz dont think i can handle it!..

I agreed with you Defee.. It's nice to look at them, but they can handle, and I know I cannot handle it either.

Octe!

With all the things going on around me, I could use a year sabattical in a simple life of the Amish.

Richard

Seeking info regarding Amish Deaf children/families. Can anyone in this thread suggest resources? Thanks.

Gilder
ASL student, San Antonio (TX) College

Seeking info regarding Amish Deaf children/families. Can anyone in this thread suggest resources? Thanks.

Gilder
ASL student, San Antonio (TX) College

This Amish FAQ website mentions briefly about the deaf Amishs in: Amish Life FAQ's

Perhaps you could ask the webmaster there to put you in touch with someone who might be able to answer your questions.

This Amish FAQ website mentions briefly about the deaf Amishs in: Amish Life FAQ's

Perhaps you could ask the webmaster there to put you in touch with someone who might be able to answer your questions.
Interesting site.

It did include this Q & A:

"Question: When a child is born into the Amish life that has a special need, such as learning disability, speech and/or hearing problem, how are they taught?

Answer: They either go to schools or learning centers where there is a provision for those with learning disabilities. Some go to public schools, where, if they are deaf, they are taught by a teacher specializing in teaching the deaf, and are main streamed into the classroom. There are also Special Education teacher in the local parochial schools. Older adults may go to area "workshops" where they do work on a limited basis. They learn sign language, do speech therapy with a therapist. Family members also learn how to assist in therapy at home. Answer coordinated by THE BUDGET."

My mother reminensced about an Amish boy whose family would insist on picking him up in a buggy - this in a major metropolitan area. I felt sorry for the horse.

If you're looking for resources regarding Deaf Amish folk, you might do well to get in touch with the First Deaf Mennonite Church in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. While the majority of its Deaf membership is mennonite, the minister and/or bishop would be more than happy in introducing you to those who would interact with "the English."

We have a band of Mennonites here in our town. They do have certain modern amenities such as electricity, running water, etc. But their dress is similar to that of the Amish. They have a vegetable stand they sell vegetables out of, and they also routinely have bake sales at the bank - their goods always go fast though.

And suprisingly they do carry cell phones (but with limited function meaning - all features besides voice is locked on the phones, but their parishoner OKd the use of them strictly for work.

they also do drive cars but they are usually older models and are black or a very dark blue so as to not be flashy.

(but however non-flashy they try to be, in todays world they stick out like sore thumbs with their dress)

They do speak a dialect of German that has been 'Americanized' to an extent but also uses a lot of Old German.

They have no TVs and no radios, obviously no cameras. But they do stay current with world events by reading newspapers and magazines.

They have their own parachial school that goes up to the 8th grade in which boys go to work on the farm after completing it and girls go to work to learn how to be wives and mothers.

They usually don't marry until they are in their 20s like most Americans, but their weddings are big deals, in which they use our church facilities to host the ceremonies which take place over about 4-5 days.

They do take part in our world because they have a new testament basis for this: They are to be in the world, but not of the world.

This is only what I know just from conversation and observation.

Yeah, I heard about the pictures thing. They believe that when you take a picture of them... you're stealing their souls.

It is the same with many native tribes, too. They do not want to be taken pictures because the pictures will steal their soul. That was a long time ago. Now we take pictures or home movies and nothing happen to us. That is supersitious. :cool:

I was in Amish County in Ohio last May and bought two dolls for my girls. Each doll had no facial features. Just blank faces. I thought it was interesting because they believe that if you show face on a doll, it will promote vanity.

Again, we have the same for dolls with no face painted, just blank on the cloth face. Most native children play with this dolls with no face. Some of them are pretty much like them only we do it ourselves better than they are, I think. Times changes a lot for us natives. Lucky for the Amish people who will try to stay the same, no change. That is hard to do with everything changing all over the world. :cool2:

Imagine that they don't have computer or TV or nothing? :eek: Sheesh, I have to have a computer, and I have to have a TV and I have to have something that make my life more easier than the Amish people!! Do you think you can survive by living in Amish county with NO computer, TV, etc??

Strictly Amish people aren't usually completely forbidden from using electronics- however, keeping them in their own homes is discouraged, because it takes away from family time and makes one depend on the outside world. So, while one family might not keep a phone in their house, they could walk into town and use a pay phone if they needed it.

There's also the Beachy Amish-Mennonite people, who are still highly traditional but a little more 'modern.' Their children are far more likely to complete education through to highschool. They're allowed to use things like email, in some churches. Women still wear cape dresses and prayer coverings, but men wear more or less regular clothing.

In the realm of Mennonite churches, there's everything from ultra-strict to a lax church only distinguishable from other 'modern' churches by it's baptism practices. Some might not use technology, but many use all forms of technology. Within this group, especially in the more modern churches, there's quite a huge decline in modest dress in general, to say nothing of plain dress.

Back