Americans still texting while driving despite bans

Status
Not open for further replies.
because one wants to ban cell phone. why not ban gps, car decoration, map, etc? Why not ban all form of distractions? Like I said - ban all you want but it won't fix the issue.

It isn't a ban on cell phones. It is a ban on texting while driving. Very different concept. As I said before, none of us is so important that sending a message can't wait until you pull off the road.

It isn't a ban on cell phones. It is a ban on texting while driving. Very different concept. As I said before, none of us is so important that sending a message can't wait until you pull off the road.

In case you didn't know - holding cellphone while driving is banned.

Well, since you seem to relying on your 13 years of driving experience, I just rely on my 38 years.
One can be a driver for 38 years and log only 5,000 miles. If I recall correctly - you have a genetic condition so I doubt you logged that much miles.

I read it. People still drive drunk too. That doesn't mean we should abolish the laws against it.
and where did I say that? Please show me where did I say I want to abolish the law.

I spelled it out for you that the approach to ban something is a wrong approach to solving the real issue. They can ban all they want but it won't change people's behavior. That's why I'm pushing for comprehensive driver ed and increased awareness program - a more rigorous training.

Just because I think your stance is absurd doesn't mean my posts aren't constructive.
and what part is absurd? How is pushing for comprehensive driver ed and increased awareness program absurd? See the statistic. Apparently majority of European countries fare better than USA.

but it will help prosecute the dumbasses that kill

Exactly. Consequences. If you choose to behave stupidly, and you create tragedy in the process, you are responsible for facing the consequences for your stupid behavior. Remove consequences from the equation, and the stupid behavior increases.

In case you didn't know - holding cellphone while driving is banned.

No, it isn't. Talking on a cell phone while driving is banned. And I agree with that too. Pull over to talk on the phone.

Exactly. Consequences. If you choose to behave stupidly, and you create tragedy in the process, you are responsible for facing the consequences for your stupid behavior. Remove consequences from the equation, and the stupid behavior increases.

apparently - since DWT law was enacted for a few years, the teen accidents statistic due to DWT is still increasing. I guess the "consequence" isn't working.

so we will keep prosecuting while more people get killed? why not try to lower that? got any better suggestion?
yeah, shoot 'em :smoking:

education and accountability ~ safety courses, more tests and stricter sentences if the laws are broken...

No, it isn't. Talking on a cell phone while driving is banned. And I agree with that too. Pull over to talk on the phone.

are you ok? you're holding the cellphone because you're talking on cellphone... and texting. :roll:

agreed

lost many friends and acquaintances due to idiots.

yeah, shoot 'em :smoking:

education and accountability ~ safety courses, more tests and stricter sentences if the laws are broken...

orson%20clapping.gif

praise the lord! a constructive suggestion! Take a note, Jillio! That is precisely what I would like. This DWT law is merely a slap on the wrist with just $100 fine. Effective? LOL. Enforceable? LOLOLOL

One can be a driver for 38 years and log only 5,000 miles. If I recall correctly - you have a genetic condition so I doubt you logged that much miles.

WTF???? What the heck does vitiligo have to do with how many miles I have driven in my lifetime? You are going to have to explain your logic behind that one. And, given the fact that I have traveled all over this country, I can say without a doubt that I have logged many, many more miles than have you. And, just so you have your information correct, it is not a genetic disorder. It is an auto-immune disorder. :roll:

and where did I say that? Please show me where did I say I want to abolish the law.

Then you think the law should stand?

I spelled it out for you that the approach to ban something is a wrong approach to solving the real issue. They can ban all they want but it won't change people's behavior. That's why I'm pushing for comprehensive driver ed and increased awareness program - a more rigorous training.

Exactly how are you pushing for that? Lobbying at the state house?

and what part is absurd? How is pushing for comprehensive driver ed and increased awareness program absurd? See the statistic. Apparently majority of European countries fare better than USA.

European countries fare better than the U.S. on several counts in several different areas. Including death by gunfire. What's your point? You are a bit contradicted on that front as well.

are you ok? you're holding the cellphone because you're talking on cellphone... and texting. :roll:
her point was the driver gets off the road and safely communicates without the risking an accident

Well, first of all, just because you are holding a cell phone doesn't mean you are talking on a cell phone. And just because you aren't holding doesn't mean you aren't talking on it. Ever hear of hands free?

her point was the driver gets off the road and safely communicates without the risking an accident

Exactly. And banning talking on a cell phone includes the use of hands free set ups. You want to talk on the phone, get off the road.

apparently - since DWT law was enacted for a few years, the teen accidents statistic due to DWT is still increasing. I guess the "consequence" isn't working.

And teen suicides are up, teen accidents while driving while drinking and drugging are up, teen pregnancies are up, teen STDs are up, etc. etc. etc. That is because they are teens, and neither laws nor drumming it into their heads gets it past the "But it won't happen to me" mentality. I'm much more concerned about the adults that continue with their adolescent and irresponsible behavior. There are many more of them on the road.

WTF???? What the heck does vitiligo have to do with how many miles I have driven in my lifetime? You are going to have to explain your logic behind that one. And, given the fact that I have traveled all over this country, I can say without a doubt that I have logged many, many more miles than have you. And, just so you have your information correct, it is not a genetic disorder. It is an auto-immune disorder.
Nope not that one. I'm aware of your skin pigmentation disorder. I cannot remember the name of it but it's something about your joint, muscle, and nerve issue. You've mentioned that you cannot do impact exercise.

Then you think the law should stand?
I've made myself clear on it. Do you think we should push for comprehensive driver ed and increased awareness program?

Exactly how are you pushing for that? Lobbying at the state house?
The same way that people pushed for this DWT ban law.

European countries fare better than the U.S. on several counts in several different areas. Including death by gunfire. What's your point? You are a bit contradicted on that front as well.
Do you have a source that disputed my statement? methinks you're just pulling bs out of your ass just to stay afloat.

and has the law have any success in changing that kind of behavior?

Exactly. And banning talking on a cell phone includes the use of hands free set ups. You want to talk on the phone, get off the road.
But we're talking about DWT

Nope not that one. I'm aware of your skin pigmentation disorder. I cannot remember the name of it but it's something about your joint, muscle, and nerve issue. You've mentioned that you cannot do impact exercise.
Fibromyalgia. That, as well, is not a genetic disorder. It is an auto-immune disorder. It doesn't interfere with my driving at all. I have only been diagnosed with it for the past 5 years, which means, even if it did limit my driving, I'm still more than double the years you have. And the last I checked, driving wasn't a high impact exercise.:lol:

I've made myself clear on it. Do you think we should push for comprehensive driver ed and increased awareness program?
Those programs are already available to people getting a license for the first time. I'm more worried about the people who have been driving for several years and still do stupid things. Driver's ed won't touch them.
The same way that people pushed for this DWT ban law.
And how exactly is that? What specific action have you taken?
Do you have a source that disputed my statement? methinks you're just pulling bs out of your ass just to stay afloat.

There is a lot of BS flying around here, but you might want to look again to see where its coming from.:laugh2:

But we're talking about DWT

You are the one that brought up talking on a cell phone. If you don't want a subject brought into the discussion, stop bringing it up.

I don't expect it to. it is only a beginning and a tool it will help prosecute.

like the seat belt laws. when the laws first starting getting passed they were not as strict. they keep become more strict and loop holes started getting closed. yet the law itself doesn't click the belt in place. it is the driver that makes the choice. we can educate the driver, make a law but we can't click the belt for the driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back