America Without Post Office? Postal Office

True true, too many people in management and alot of old employees work more than 40 years but the management can't do anything because of ageism. I was told by my deaf co-worker that one 70 years old woman who lives alone refuses to retire at all, meaning she continues to work until she dies. Oh, well, that's her choice. BTW, it takes one minute to walk from the building exit to the parking lot but it takes her 5 minutes or longer.

As a 38 years of service deaf retire employee, I was on your side until you posted this!
I do remember my first few years of getting to my car as quick as possible and wondering about the "old folks" taking forever. Then, through the years, I realized how the USPS destroyed lives and family through its labor policy. I saw many actually die on the floor. Let me ask you if you know this: those who die on the floor get a double life insurance from USPS? I've actually seen USPS rush an EMS to the hospital to declare the employee was "alive on arrival", fortunately the family, with the help of the Union, won a civil lawsuit. If you were in my shoes, 84 hrs. a week(40+ full O.T.and off-days), 10 pm to 10 am shift, work every Christmas Eve AND Christmas Day, etc., you would know those "old folks" earned their rights of seniority. I do agree with you that many are "taking it easy" on the work floor today and can't be fired for doing so. But how about those, as myself, who work hard, so hard that I had 3 heart surgeries during my last 2 years. Those who would think I'm to blame because of my life style would be correct. It's a lifestyle forced on me by USPS.
As for the future of USPS, you really don't need to be looking at USPS but at CSRS, and not just for postal workers. See the F.B.I.. C.I.A. FCC DOJ etc. all fall into CSRS but guess the only one that brings revenue to the government? Right, USPS. (how?...save it for another post) So the point is if less is contributed to CSRS, by doing away with ALL CSRS employees, all the employees of other agencies suffer. Guess what? I'll bet they all have voted in each past election AND their congressperson knows it!
(note for those unaware....the military is NOT csrs...it has its own)

I have heard about it but I didn't understand it completely until you explained it.

Since USPS is an independent agency under the federal government, it makes money from marketing (services/products), not a cent from taxpayers.

So I wonder why Congress passed the law that requires USPS to pre-fund its retirement/health care system (under CSRS only? What about FERS?). Are you saying that Congress doesn't allow USPS to touch it that was overpaid? Congress controls the fund, even though it's for postal retirees, right?

I remember PMG in video said that he wants to set up its own retirement/health care system for USPS employees and I always thought we had our own system but now I understand why he talked about it.

Remember that Congress can be dirty and they can "milk" funds from Post Office. Post Office don't rely on taxpayer $$. Congress make their final say to PO, not the PostMaster. Because Post Office is part of Consitution which Benjamin Franklin included it. It had been running for 200+ years.

Let's see what Congress figure out how to pay back overpayments to PO. Either that they "milked" fund from PO through overpayment and got caught with pant down or trying to avoid using Taxpayer's $$

:rofl:

Catty

As a 38 years of service deaf retire employee, I was on your side until you posted this!
I do remember my first few years of getting to my car as quick as possible and wondering about the "old folks" taking forever. Then, through the years, I realized how the USPS destroyed lives and family through its labor policy. I saw many actually die on the floor. Let me ask you if you know this: those who die on the floor get a double life insurance from USPS? I've actually seen USPS rush an EMS to the hospital to declare the employee was "alive on arrival", fortunately the family, with the help of the Union, won a civil lawsuit. If you were in my shoes, 84 hrs. a week(40+ full O.T.and off-days), 10 pm to 10 am shift, work every Christmas Eve AND Christmas Day, etc., you would know those "old folks" earned their rights of seniority. I do agree with you that many are "taking it easy" on the work floor today and can't be fired for doing so. But how about those, as myself, who work hard, so hard that I had 3 heart surgeries during my last 2 years. Those who would think I'm to blame because of my life style would be correct. It's a lifestyle forced on me by USPS.

I didn't say the old workers are lazy. They do their job fine, oh yeah. Management has no complaint.

I just thought that it's funny that she walks very slow but I know it's not a nice thing to say. Imagine when she is taking a 15 min break, she would only have 5 min to sit down and rest because it would take a total of 10 min for her to walk from and to the workfloor. My bad.

All of us, young and old always work hard for USPS, however at my plant there are no more overtimes since two years ago.

If I get a health problem that prevents me from working, I would get a disability benefit (SSDI) since I am under FERS. I understand how you feel because you didn't have a disability insurance (DI) under SS since you were a CSRS employee.

My deaf co-worker who is 50 yrs old and is under CSRS for 30 years, too is scared because she has no DI so if when she's going blind (she has a tunnel vision) before retirement, she doesn't know how she will survive without SSDI. I told her that she should have bought a long term DI that the union offers.

I didn't say the old workers are lazy. They do their job fine, oh yeah. Management has no complaint.

I just thought that it's funny that she walks very slow but I know it's not a nice thing to say. Imagine when she is taking a 15 min break, she would only have 5 min to sit down and rest because it would take a total of 10 min for her to walk from and to the workfloor. My bad.

All of us, young and old always work hard for USPS, however at my plant there are no more overtimes since two years ago.

If I get a health problem that prevents me from working, I would get a disability benefit (SSDI) since I am under FERS. I understand how you feel because you didn't have a disability insurance (DI) under SS since you were a CSRS employee.

My deaf co-worker who is 50 yrs old and is under CSRS for 30 years, too is scared because she has no DI so if when she's going blind (she has a tunnel vision) before retirement, she doesn't know how she will survive without SSDI. I told her that she should have bought a long term DI that the union offers.

Yes, I know that CSRS isn't funny tho. My deaf co worker worked 31 years as a City Carrier and he's concerned about retiring. He was thinking about retiring very soon cuz he's getting sick and tired of "Postal Politics". He experimented staying home one week of his Prime Time and imagine if he were retired. He got an idea that he didn't like sitting and watching TV or do nothing if he were retired. I told him that he can volunteer or work part time to keep himself busy and told him also that My parent both are retired and they kept themselves busy that I had hard time reaching them. They're in their late 70's and they're hardly home during the day.

Many of my deafie friends who are retired Postal employees told me that once you retire or quit after 25 to 30 years of service, you'll be getting SSI and SSDI combine and "earning" more than you earn at work (they were serious! cuz I thought they were joking). He warned me that it's better to get out while you're in your 50's and get both SSI and SSDI because if you waited till 65, you'll lose SSDI benefit and keep SSI. Most of them are former CSRS employees just FYI. One of my deaf work partner who is a FERS employee and he got early out (offered early retirement from PO due to restructuring and he's qualified cuz he worked 22 years and he's 52 yr old.) and he told me exactly same thing.

As for me :hmm: !!!

Catty

I'm back on your side :)

BTW while I do get my pension, I really really earned it, I don't allow myself SSI nor SSDI I'm perfectly capable of going out and getting another job, if I needed to or wish to. I think people who are on SSI or SSDI for ONLY being deaf is B.S.

:rofl: you're on wrong history.. Nixon didn't fire all PO employees. Military tried to run PO and they got lost and don't know how to run such complicated system. Eventually they gave in and admit that they can't do it. Nixon got sucked and had to solve problem with employees and have them return to their duty with new Union Contract. Nixon sucked big :rofl:

Catty

of course it sucks if the army was doing it all the army knows how to do is kill peeps

Many of my deafie friends who are retired Postal employees told me that once you retire or quit after 25 to 30 years of service, you'll be getting SSI and SSDI combine and "earning" more than you earn at work (they were serious! cuz I thought they were joking). He warned me that it's better to get out while you're in your 50's and get both SSI and SSDI because if you waited till 65, you'll lose SSDI benefit and keep SSI. Most of them are former CSRS employees just FYI. One of my deaf work partner who is a FERS employee and he got early out (offered early retirement from PO due to restructuring and he's qualified cuz he worked 22 years and he's 52 yr old.) and he told me exactly same thing.

As for me :hmm: !!!

Catty

Before 62, you can apply for SSDI if you work for at least 10 years under SS
(20-40 credits- pay SS taxes) and have a proof of your disability that prevents you from working.

Did you know that once you are eligible, you will receive SSDI until 65-67 (full retirement age) depending on your birthdate and it will be changed to SS retirement benefit automatically but the amount stays the same? That's the way it works. Honest.

SSI is for disabled or 65/over or blind people with LOW or NO income.

CSRS employees don't pay SS taxes, therefore they are not eligibile for SSDI unless they had other jobs before and earned at least 20 credits (paying SS taxes for at least 10 years).

Now you said something that's new to me. Receiving two incomes, SSI and SSDI at the same time. I don't fucking think so. I suspect a fraud but I may be wrong.

If you retire at or after 62 and your retirement income is too LOW, you may be eligible for SSI as long as you are disabled or 65/older or blind.

Last edited:
I'm back on your side :)

BTW while I do get my pension, I really really earned it, I don't allow myself SSI nor SSDI I'm perfectly capable of going out and getting another job, if I needed to or wish to. I think people who are on SSI or SSDI for ONLY being deaf is B.S.

Yeah but the law says deafness is a disability so those people take advantage of it. I know some deaf friends who live on SSDI but their reason is backpain or something like that, not deafness.

Edited: That's your life so you do what you want. About BS, you are entitled to your opinion. I have no complaint.

Before 62, you can apply for SSDI if you work for at least 10 years under SS
(total of 40 credits- pay SS taxes) and have a proof of your disability that prevents you from working.

Did you know that once you are eligible, you will receive SSDI until 62 and it will be changed to SS retirement benefit automatically but the amount stays the same? That's the way it works. Honest.

SSI is for disabled or 65/over or blind people with LOW or NO income.

CSRS employees don't pay SS taxes, therefore they are not eligibile for SSDI unless they had other jobs before and earned 40 credits (paying SS taxes for at least 10 years).

Now you said something that's new to me. Receiving two incomes, SSI and SSDI at the same time. I don't fucking think so. I suspect a fraud but I may be wrong.

If you retire at or after 62 and your retirement income is too LOW, you may be eligible for SSI as long as you are disabled or 65/older or blind.

It won't hurt to ask SS office to find out if you can have both if you're CSRS.. They may have waiver for Deafie, not hearings. Deafie have biggest advantage tho. It could be that your State SS policy may vary. Kansas SS allows that.

Yes, I agree with you totally if retire or past 65, you'll lose SSDI. That's why many deafie told me to grab a chance. I'm too young to retire even I'm on 22nd years of service. If Congress decide to change No Layoff clause and lay me and rest other off, I'd be VERY happy to apply both SS and go to College and complete courses for major in HVAC or other so I can apply new jobs. Though if it's the age discrimination may happen elsewhere. I'm not gonna flip burgers!!

Catty

I hate e-mail greeting cards. When my mother passed away, I got disgusted with some of my freinds who send me e-mail greeting card it means nothing to me. I perfer them to go buy a nice sympathy card and paid 44 cent stamp and send it to me to comfort me. What about the Wedding announcement? Graduation announcement? I got several of them from my family members who live so far away from me and I was glad to send them $ with card and 44 cents than e-mail greeting. I hate banks try to force me to pay online when my husband does not use the computer God forbid something happen to me then he does not know how and will be charge for late fees. I do not trust banks nowday. I tried to order something for my grandkid thru UPS, oh my gosh they was going to charge me 300 bucks to ship this package to my house. What a rip off. PO is cheaper than this. Once in awhile I got heaviest packages, for instance one package has engine in it and it cost customer about 50 bucks for it to shipping to this address. Yes I delivered the packages everyday and Thank you PO for hiring me as a deaf woman with little skilled where UPS and Fedex will not hire any deaf people to work for them. I am so fed up with those who hate us so much....

I never heard of a mail carriers giving presents to people, I know some give cookies to dogs. Marty get some from our mail carrier .
One of other mail carrier had dog cookies in her postal truck then PO inspectors saw this and wrote her up for this. She stopped carry this. Sometime people will bring peaches to PO for us to eat, and other foods once in a while. They are farmers, strange no peaches this year because freeze kill most of their orchards so no peaches and cherries. Bummer.

It won't hurt to ask SS office to find out if you can have both if you're CSRS They may have waiver for Deafie, not hearings.

Catty

Like I said before, if you are under CSRS, that means you don't pay SS taxes. Did you pay SS taxes from your paychecks for at least 10 years? If no, then no SSDI for you. There are plenty of info at The United States Social Security Administration. Best place to look for is FAQ in its website. It may have an answer for your question. And don't forget that Google is your best friend. Just type your question and you may find several links related to it.

The deaf co-worker with a tunnel vision whom I talked about in my previous comment is under CSRS, therefore she doesn't pay SS taxes at all. She told me that. That's why she's disappointed that she can't get SSDI if she becomes blind before retiring.

SSI will be paid to you if you have LOW or NO income. If you have high income, you will not be eligible even though you are deaf.

Ok the difference between CSRS and FERS is that CSRS has higher deduction for your PO retirement fund and no SS taxes ... FERS has SS taxes and lower deduction for my PO retirement fund. Therefore FERS has three kinds of retirement funds- SS retirement, (low) PO pension and TSP...CSRS has two- (high) PO pension and TSP.

Like I said before, if you are under CSRS, that means you don't pay SS taxes. Did you pay SS taxes from your paychecks for at least 10 years? If no, then no SSDI for you. There are plenty of info at The United States Social Security Administration. Best place to look for is FAQ in its website. It may have an answer for your question. And don't forget that Google is your best friend. Just type your question and you may find several links related to it.

The deaf co-worker with a tunnel vision whom I talked about in my previous comment is under CSRS, therefore she doesn't pay SS taxes at all. She told me that. That's why she's disappointed that she can't get SSDI if she becomes blind before retiring.

SSI will be paid to you if you have LOW or NO income. If you have high income, you will not be eligible even though you are deaf.

Ok the difference between CSRS and FERS is that CSRS has higher deduction for your PO retirement fund and no SS taxes ... FERS has SS taxes and lower deduction for my PO retirement fund. Therefore FERS has three kinds of retirement funds- SS retirement, (low) PO pension and TSP...CSRS has two- (high) PO pension and TSP.

I'm FERS so I paid my SS taxes.. I could check through. But my retired Co Workers can help me with that. They have lot experience on that.

Catty

I'm too young to retire even I'm on 22nd years of service.
Catty

Oh 22 years, that means you are under FERS, not CSRS.

CSRS is for those who started working before late 1984. FERS is for those who started working after late 1984.

That also means that you pay SS taxes like me (27 yrs) and you are eligible for SSDI. You will be required to get a medical document from your dr to prove that you can't work any longer because of your disability.

Edited: I didn't see your new comment above, sorry.

It could be that your State SS policy may vary. Kansas SS allows that.

Catty

SSA is under federal government, not state government. But if you talk about the amounts for SSI, yes they vary by state. The amounts for SSDI are determined by SSA which sends you this info by mail yearly.

I think it's such a phoney controversy.

It's a normal routine for USPS to make requests to the government to make changes.

You will STILL have USPS, just that it will have to change its structure to make it run.

I think it's such a phoney controversy.

It's a normal routine for USPS to make requests to the government to make changes.

You will STILL have USPS, just that it will have to change its structure to make it run.

Yup. It's why NALC say "We may be like boy who cried Wolf" So It may not happen big time, It would probably would restructure and changes to stave off shutdown coming ext year. Like what Congress did on National Debt Ceiliing and barely got it deal to raise Debt Ceiling day or two before deadline :eek2: PO probably would do the same in "layman term"..

Catty

Back