America Without Post Office? Postal Office

In your comment in another thread, you said "According to the FCC more than 60% americans have no access to high speed internet" so those who don't have internet can't make electronic payments, huh?

You think USPS will shut down, huh?

FCC is working on making sure all of the Americans have access.

And yes, I want everything to be electronic. It would save trees.
So in a way, yes. One day the USPS will be severely downsized.

When computers first appeared on the scene, they said it would save trees. But ironically, more trees than ever were cut because of them.

FCC cannot force people to buy a computer.

Yes, it will be downsized like I said in my recent comment but it doesn't mean no more USPS, shithead.

Can your internet electronically deliver your parcels/magazines that you subscribe to?

When computers first appeared on the scene, they said it would save trees. But ironically, more trees than ever were cut because of them.

Yeah, blank papers for the printers, however most of them are recycled today.

I actually don't give a shit about saving trees since there are so plenty of them and more trees are growing everywhere. GO GREEN = full of shit

I don't think USPS will close completely, but instead of having stand-alone postal offices, they may have to be moved to smaller kiosks inside of larger businesses such as Walmart or your local drug store. However, this isn't the first time the USPS has downsized. A lot of small rural communities had their own small POs but they were shut down and they were merged into the nearest town, which meant, they use the same zip code as the nearest town. IE - Waveland, AR used to have its own post office. Well, it was decided that it was not needed any more. The USPS closed it down and allowed packages to be sent and received from the local gas station until they were able to set up rural delivery routes for that town. When that was finalized, Waveland AR is a different community but it shares the same postal code as nearby Havana, AR.

Now the USPS is looking at closing out lying post offices and setting up rural delivery routes instead. The smaller communities would be using the same postal zip code as the nearest larger community.

So basically your address goes from 12345 No. 1 Lane, No-name, USA 67890 to
12345 No. 1 Lane, Some-name, USA 98765. Your address itself does not change, just your postal zip code.

I wouldn't be surprised if the USPS allows you to send and receive packages from authorized locations that has just the window functions of the PO. Those with PO boxes may still be allowed to use their current PO boxes for a certain amount of time until they are able to find other means of receiving their mail. (most just set up an inexpensive mailbox next to their driveway if they are on a rural mail route.)

Those living in apartment complexes with mailboxes operated by the USPS won't be affected likely.

It just few Congressman who really want to screw the USPS. Post Office Unions such as APWU, MHU, and NALC are fighting against it. Congress owe Post Office close to 70 to 80 Billions dollars due to PreFund Mandate Law which passed in 2006. The Law require PO to pre-pay CSRS Retirement fund and Health Benefit for Retired employees. Post Office overpaid throughout years until it got caught in bind. In past, Unions and USPS had been fighting Congress to get them to pay back what they owe. It had been rejected repeatly. This Fall would be a critical time for USPS.

IF Congress decide to pay back 70-80 Billion dollars, PO would upgrade, replace and perhap retire all CSRS employees (just to clean up) then it'll will last throughout 50 years.

IF all else fail. I bet American customers everywhere would be very PISSED especially Retired and Rural peoples. They will blame Congress for failure.

What would happen to all employees, Since that they are Federal employees. I sure hope Federal Govt would provide job to excess from USPS.

It would hurt Economy even more if Congress decide to close USPS. Remmy that Postal Employees are the largest workforce. Congress is asking to screw their mortages, loans and retirement benefit for them and it's gonna really suck. Would Congress want that? See where their heart goes to...

So let's see what happened. Like NALC president say "We may be like boy who cried Wolf". Which means that they warn employees about bad news and asking for help. To the end, it may turn out it's really nothing.

Catty

It just few Congressman who really want to screw the USPS. Post Office Unions such as APWU, MHU, and NALC are fighting against it. Congress owe Post Office close to 70 to 80 Billions dollars due to PreFund Mandate Law which passed in 2006. The Law require PO to pre-pay CSRS Retirement fund and Health Benefit for Retired employees. Post Office overpaid throughout years until it got caught in bind. In past, Unions and USPS had been fighting Congress to get them to pay back what they owe. It had been rejected repeatly. This Fall would be a critical time for USPS.

Catty

APWU said that the postal service costs taxpayers nothing. If Congress owes USPS, then the money would come from taxpayers. I see a conflict there.

Hyd3q.jpg

FCC cannot force people to buy a computer.

Yes, it will be downsized like I said in my recent comment but it doesn't mean no more USPS, shithead.

Can your internet electronically deliver your parcels/magazines that you subscribe to?

Ah well, either way I don't care. Have the USPS shut down for all i care.

This is bad news for small business owners who rely heavily on shipping goods via USPS First-Class and Flat Rate Priority mail. Either way, I hope USPS won't shut down and it's a hassle negotiating volume discount rates with UPS/FedEx especially when shipping 300+ orders daily. My customers wouldn't be pleased if they see a hike in shipping costs.

CrazyPaul, please keep up with the good work.

APWU said that the postal service costs taxpayers nothing. If Congress owes USPS, then the money would come from taxpayers. I see a conflict there.

Hyd3q.jpg

Dig deeper. Pre-fund mandate is what Congress require PO to pay. Congresss made mistake passing law which was flawed that calculate prefund excessive. So that money went to CSRS Retirement and Healthcare for Retired will have to refund PO $$$. It's like if you overpaid money at store. You found out you overpaid it, you return to store and ask to refund you an overpayment. Same idea what PO is doing to Congress to get $$$ back.

There's no conflict of interest here tho....

Which is why Unions are encouraging Representative everywhere in States to refund Overpayment. So did PMG agree the same term with Union. This would have save PO from failure BIG time.

What the Post Office needs to do is get into the email business, but the problem is complicated by the, "free" email provided by the private sector. Because of this, the Post Office can't make money from electronic mail. Personally, I think the government should assign official email to people because it would be more protected by laws than private email is today. Ground shipping, however, is up and could, in fact, be the sole future of the Post Office. The major problem is distance where you can't have one worker delivering a small amount of mail over a large area, it is not economical. And, problem is more compounded by the fact that it is political in that saving the post office means hurting the private sector. I believe, once we move to a government supplied ISP (just like the land line phone), the problem would be solved. Unfortunately, we don't have the money for that yet.

what many people fail to realize is that there are many, many bosses that dont do actual work and fewer laborers. There are many workers at usps that are over 65 yrs old and refuse to retire because the salary is too good to pass up esp. in this economy.

I am all for sat delivery to stop, but they didnt. I can tolerate a few post offices closing but we all know its not enough. A drastic move to have 3 day delivery might be needed.
Again- when I say "IF" usps shuts down- overnight companies could/can step in. It doesnt mean we have to pay higher rate like freight prices, but be competitive with letter prices.

There is NO WAY IN HE!! we are going to give up normal mailing completely. Its a way to prevent address fraud with many government offices like i mentioned before. The real problem is they they are too slow to adapt.

If we no longer had a PO ecards would be the only way or people have hand deliver the cards and that would be impossible to do.
You're right; that would be impossible. That's why I say there is no substitute for mailing cards. People in the military, in nursing homes and hospitals, living away from family and friends, live for those cards and letters that they get in the mail.

Yeah the small vehicles with the steering wheel on the right. They would good for one person that like to camp out. I have a neighbor that camp out a lot and his car it about the same size.
I wonder if it's hard to adjust to a steering wheel and pedals on the opposite side?

The mail will always be delivered, even if there were no post offices. It is illegal for private citizens to do that, but I can see it happening.
That may be the solution.

Nooo! I love my mail man (his name is Terry and he brings me presents and I give him cookies).
I know what you mean. My mom always gave small Christmas presents to our mailman. We give presents and tips (unofficially now since the PO frowns upon it) to our mailman (I mean postal carrier).

We had trouble with only one postal carrier, and we had to report him to the Post Master. Either he got fired or transferred because we didn't see him again. He used to misdeliver our mail all the time. We had to search for our mail. When we asked him about that, he got angry and said, "If I had to deliver the mail to the right addresses it would take me all day!" :shock: He behaved in a weird, threatening manner.

The rest have been fine. :)

just referring to walrus because I'm sure he doesn't give a diddly squat about greeting cards :lol:

shut up jiro :giggle: lol no but seriously i use the post office maybe twice a year, it wouldnt affect me either way if it defaults or what not i mean I might not get my dirty magazines any more but....(jk im not like that *cough*) yes I know nwty, but yeah

also if the post office defaults then the army delivers the mail hell it happened before with regan the post office peeps went on strike so reagan fired em all and had the army do it

also if the post office defaults then the army delivers the mail hell it happened before with regan the post office peeps went on strike so reagan fired em all and had the army do it
You're confusing two separate events.

President Nixon sent the Army to the post offices during the strike of 1970. The postal workers weren't fired.

President Reagan fired striking air traffic controllers in 1981. Some of them were replaced by military personnel.

what many people fail to realize is that there are many, many bosses that dont do actual work and fewer laborers. There are many workers at usps that are over 65 yrs old and refuse to retire because the salary is too good to pass up esp. in this economy.

I am all for sat delivery to stop, but they didnt. I can tolerate a few post offices closing but we all know its not enough. A drastic move to have 3 day delivery might be needed.
Again- when I say "IF" usps shuts down- overnight companies could/can step in. It doesnt mean we have to pay higher rate like freight prices, but be competitive with letter prices.

There is NO WAY IN HE!! we are going to give up normal mailing completely. Its a way to prevent address fraud with many government offices like i mentioned before. The real problem is they they are too slow to adapt.

You could get an idea if PO ever shut down nationally. Private sector takes over and run the service. At first, they may promise that customer mail will be secured. Wait 5 years later, You'll find out that company will lay off security just to save $$$ then employees begins to steal $$ and valuable stuff from customer's mail. Customer files complaint or report gone unnoticed.

Compare to current PO, There are alot of security and "catwalk" with hundreds of one way glass. I've seen Postal Inspector jump on employee who were stealing mail. Postal Inspection are very strict and consistent on security. They also watch every employees inside and outside of building and even spying on suspicious employees and arrest them if caught stealing. Postal Inspections also protects PO from threats as well. I admit it's not funny tho. That's what PO have offer for customer's protection. I've seen $1 millon dollar "company to company" check fell out of letter during mailstream. Hand it to supervisor and they'll take care the rest to return to sender. So did many valuable stuff fell out of mail and were discovered and returned. Postal Inspector even drop a roll of $50 or $100 on workfloor or leave wallets on workfloor to see if employees pickup and put in pocket :eek2: . If you see it, DON'T TOUCH IT!!! or you'll end up Postal Inspection pileup on top of you like football. They are testing employee's honesty.

Would Private sector do that? It's doubtful!!!

So which Congress would choose?? Hand over to Private sector and they screwed like Halliburton or Keep PO under Goverment and maintain highest security as possible. If I were a Congress, I would choose the latter because PO move Millions of dollars worth of mail per day nationally.

Lastly, those who work more than 30 years of service. I would agree with Radioman that they need to be retired. I've seen them going lazy, complain alot over little thing that normal employees put up with, dementia on their duty (forget what they were supposed to do) or get angry over new assignment when they asked to. It's really sad that those who worked 40 years in service then retire and died within 6 months! Where's their life beyond retirement??

Catty

Back