America Without Post Office? Postal Office

well tbh the post office is kinda obsolete as it is, what with emails and text and all that good crap, thank technology for that *cough cough hint hint* frankly i aint gonna miss it

well tbh the post office is kinda obsolete as it is, what with emails and text and all that good crap, thank technology for that *cough cough hint hint* frankly i aint gonna miss it

how are you going to receive packages? that would mean you'll be forced to use expensive UPS/Fedex/etc. service.

how are you going to receive packages? that would mean you'll be forced to use expensive UPS/Fedex/etc. service.

Yeah I mail my condo fees through the mail, we're not set to pay on line. And I would not want my condo having asses to bank account!!

And... what about those greeting cards?

People would have to send ecards! It would save a lot of trees . It would horrible if the post offices shut down all those people will out of work. I wonder
it people would be able to buy the cars , they would made a nice small camper.

Greeting cards and engraved invitations are important to many people. Letters from home are very meaningful to our military. There's no digital substitute for some things.

Also, not everyone has easy access to the internet.

People would have to send ecards!
Not a good substitute.

It would horrible if the post offices shut down all those people will out of work.
True. That includes many deaf workers, too.

I wonder it people would be able to buy the cars, they would made a nice small camper.
Do you mean the small vehicles with the steering wheel on the right?

Many of the rural carriers use their own cars instead. They really stretch to reach the steering wheel and mailboxes.

Well too many places depends on the post office. Its a way of verifying your home address to the government. Banks, DMV's, IRS depends on the post office. Wedding invitations, junk mailings, spring seed catalogs etc. will throw the Americans into a hissy fit for sure if the post office shuts down completely. There are too many elderly that needs the post office still for the next 10-20 years and cannot adapt to electronic form of info.

On the other hand, if usps DO shut down, I bet the overnight freight companies could step in to take that piece of mailing pie for extra revenue. Wouldnt that be cool? mail a letter for birthday or wedding invite overnight? perfect for couples eloping but still wants a reception or something similar without the expense of months of picking out stationary, the napkins, etc. :D

Not a good substitute.

True. That includes many deaf workers, too.

Do you mean the small vehicles with the steering wheel on the right?

Many of the rural carriers use their own cars instead. They really stretch to reach the steering wheel and mailboxes.

If we no longer had a PO ecards would be the only way or people have hand deliver the cards and that would be impossible to do. Yeah the small vehicles with the steering wheel on the right. They would good for one person that like to camp out. I have a neighbor that camp out a lot and his car it about the same size.

The mail will always be delivered, even if there were no post offices. It is illegal for private citizens to do that, but I can see it happening.

Well too many places depends on the post office. Its a way of verifying your home address to the government. Banks, DMV's, IRS depends on the post office. Wedding invitations, junk mailings, spring seed catalogs etc. will throw the Americans into a hissy fit for sure if the post office shuts down completely. There are too many elderly that needs the post office still for the next 10-20 years and cannot adapt to electronic form of info.

On the other hand, if usps DO shut down, I bet the overnight freight companies could step in to take that piece of mailing pie for extra revenue. Wouldnt that be cool? mail a letter for birthday or wedding invite overnight? perfect for couples eloping but still wants a reception or something similar without the expense of months of picking out stationary, the napkins, etc. :D

I think it could be costly sending out wedding invitations using a freight company. The PO want to stop delivering mail in Saturdays and closes PO that are in small towns to save money. I live in a small city , I would hate to see our PO shut down.

I looked up the history of UPS and FedEx online. UPS got started in 1907 and FedEx in 1973 -- both under different names.

They took over the most profitable part of the mail business and left the low profit margin and unprofitable businesses to the USPS (govt). Then, gradually since the late 1980s, the Internet took over other parts of the profitable business from the USPS. They reduced the personal and junk mail volume, and probably even the delivery of magazines.

Its not realistic to expect the govt to be able to maintain the USPS business under those circumstances.

Probably the fair thing to do is to regulate the nonprofitable parts of the mail business and require UPS, FedEx and anyone else in the premium mail business to also run their share of the nonprofitable parts of the mail business.

Or perhaps just like everyone who uses the telephone system in the more populated parts of the country pays a fee (think its called Universal Service Fund) so that rural America can have a telephone system too -- perhaps users of UPS and FedEx should also pay a fee so that people in rural America can continue to get mail also.

I really don't think anyone wants to see large parts of rural America get cut off from the rest of the country.

Hellooo, I can tell you about that since I am a postal worker for 27 years.

OK, Postmaster General made two announcements in video (w/ CC, of course) at all plants in the past month. He said that he wants to close 300 of 528 plants in the US. He recently made a request to the Congress to eliminate no lay-off clause from the union contract so he can close those plants and lay off about 220,000 workers by 2015 because of deficit. Therefore we will still run the business after that.

PMG stubbornly wants 5-days delivery but the Congress has turned it down many times before.

Many stations will close for good and the clerks/carriers will be transfered to several plants in the near future (maybe next year).

Our parcel service is still in good business.

Nooo! I love my mail man (his name is Terry and he brings me presents and I give him cookies). If the USPS closes, I will cry. I have been increasing my mailings recently to give them more support. I am tempted to write a letter to the local postmaster begging them to not take Terry's job - and everyone else.

Honestly, I think FedEx and UPS are nice, but they just aren't the USPS.

Actually the only thing I do not like about the USPS is that nearly all post offices have signs in the door that say "Seeing Eye Dogs" instead of service dogs. Service dogs is a generic term - like cookie. Seeing Eye is not only a specific kind of cookie, like chocolate chip, but it is a specific "brand" of service dog, like Chips Ahoy. Annoying when you have a SD for a physical problem, not that I've had access issues.

Nooo! I love my mail man (his name is Terry and he brings me presents and I give him cookies). If the USPS closes, I will cry. I have been increasing my mailings recently to give them more support. I am tempted to write a letter to the local postmaster begging them to not take Terry's job - and everyone else.

Honestly, I think FedEx and UPS are nice, but they just aren't the USPS.

Nooo! Your carrier will still be your carrier. If not, then who will deliver the mail to you? Utilities companies such as your local electric, gas and water companies still mail bill statements to us every month. Today alot of customers have switched to electronic payments but alot of other customers like me don't choose to do so anyway.

Nooo! Your carrier will still be your carrier. If not, then who will deliver the mail to you? Utilities companies such as your local electric, gas and water companies still mail bill statements to us every month. Today alot of customers have switched to electronic payments but alot of other customers like me don't choose to do so anyway.

One day..... you will be forced to switch.

And no more TTY for calling in work

One day..... you will be forced to switch.

And no more TTY for calling in work

In your comment in another thread, you said "According to the FCC more than 60% americans have no access to high speed internet" so those who don't have internet can't make electronic payments, huh?

You think USPS will shut down, huh?

Back