also new

Welcome to AD!

I have a bull mastiff right now. She's a big lug! We also breed mini Aussies. Well, that was until someone stole our stud right out of our yard!!!

Welcome to AD!

I have a bull mastiff right now. She's a big lug! We also breed mini Aussies. Well, that was until someone stole our stud right out of our yard!!!

That is what made me so mad when that happen. We do have beautiful purebreds like husky or any breed dogs. I had one that got stolen right out of our yard when we are not home. The native community had many good and purebred dogs but also were stolen and we got mad about why they want to steal and make money off them. The thieves do not belong to the dogs we own. This is disgusting why we can not have a purebred dog if we have to end up mixed or ugly dogs so that they were not stolen. It is a shame. :roll:

Thank you for welcomes too! :D

My husband and I love the BM; another breed we are interested in. We searched long and hard for reputable breeders for our beloved first Rottie.

A couple years back there was a period in the area where I live where people were stealing unattended dogs out of their yards in the day - so much so that the local pet supply shops put up warning posters about it. Either I am out with the dogs when they are outside or I am watching through the window. It IS terrible!

Do you say you are First Nations/Native, Bebonang? Am sorry if I missed it - what Nation?

Welcome to AD Dogmom! :wave::D

I am a breeder/trainer of racing Greyhounds, absolutely love them! I have two greyhound bitches inside the house who are my beloved pets, they are 7 and 6 years old (half sisters) called Moira and Tasha. I also have their nephew out in the kennels called Vinnie :giggle: most of the dogs I have here, are all related to each other. I was boarding greyhounds for other people but since I have to move house in a couple of weeks, I had to get my clients to pick up their dogs. So now I just have my own dogs here (some pups too!) all up, about 12 greyhounds. That's not many for me as I used to have up to 40 years ago! (boarding mostly)
Greyhounds make wonderful pets!

So glad to meet another doglover on this site :cool2::D:P

Yes, Greyhounds DO make wonderful pets....I am familiar w/the re-homing programs for them around here, off the track. Are you involved in that as well? What happens to the dogs in your breeding program who aren't fast enough for the track?

I tried lure course w/my Lab several years ago - initially when he found out he couldn't actually kill anything after a few runs, he quit. We placed him back in the van to cool down, securely <We thought> seat-belting him in. We turned our attention back to the dogs still running. Someone yelled out "black Lab on the field" - and yes, there was our Lab, who had gotten out of his car harness, without chewing or ripping anything, and out of the van and run BACK onto the field once he saw that we were still involved with the other dogs! My husband went to get him and picked him up and carried him off the field :D

oh- I was so excited to "talk dogs" but meant to thank you for the Welcome -

Yes, Greyhounds DO make wonderful pets....I am familiar w/the re-homing programs for them around here, off the track. Are you involved in that as well? What happens to the dogs in your breeding program who aren't fast enough for the track?

I tried lure course w/my Lab several years ago - initially when he found out he couldn't actually kill anything after a few runs, he quit. We placed him back in the van to cool down, securely <We thought> seat-belting him in. We turned our attention back to the dogs still running. Someone yelled out "black Lab on the field" - and yes, there was our Lab, who had gotten out of his car harness, without chewing or ripping anything, and out of the van and run BACK onto the field once he saw that we were still involved with the other dogs! My husband went to get him and picked him up and carried him off the field :D

Yep in Australia we are more conscious of the welfare of greyhounds than in USA obviously, I know from watching Utube and hearing the stories that some trainers in USA aren't as caring as to what happens to the "slow dogs".

Because in Australia, many many greyhound owners/trainers, actually have greyhounds as a 'hobby' meaning that they are not in it for the money (winning) they just love to watch their dogs racing and love the 'hands on' aspect of caring for their dogs.

I am one of the hobby trainers, also when I breed a litter, I make sure that a) I am financially able to look after the pups right up to racing age b) if there are going to be slow ones, I make sure that they either can go to good homes as a pet or still keep on racing at 'country' tracks (which are for slow/ordinary dogs) where they still have a chance to race as their ability doesn't really matter, as there are other slow dogs they compete with, meaning they all have a chance to win a race. :D

Where I live, in Victoria, there is a GAP program that rehomes retired greyhounds, we are very focussed on trying to prevent people from overbreeding too.

Hope all this info tells you what it is like for greyhounds in Australia :D

YES, thank you! Very GOOD to know! :D We have ReGAP here too - Retired Greyhounds as Pets -but not every breeder or every state have re-homing programs.

We learned a lot about reputable breeders in general when doing the research for our first Rottie.

Such sweet souls, the Greyhounds.........

oh- meant to ask - is that a Brindle in the photo? Who are the guys in the pic.?

Thank you for welcomes too! :D

My husband and I love the BM; another breed we are interested in. We searched long and hard for reputable breeders for our beloved first Rottie.

A couple years back there was a period in the area where I live where people were stealing unattended dogs out of their yards in the day - so much so that the local pet supply shops put up warning posters about it. Either I am out with the dogs when they are outside or I am watching through the window. It IS terrible!

Do you say you are First Nations/Native, Bebonang? Am sorry if I missed it - what Nation?

Sorry for not responding to your questions. yes, I am Native which I am Cree and my husband is Ojibwe and we live here in M'Chigeeng First Nation here on the island. I agree with you how terrible when people are stealing unattended dogs out of their yard in the daytime and also at night, too. tsk. tsk. :roll:

Back