also new

dogmom

Reaction score
Hello all - I am new too. Here to learn and share -

Welcome to AllDeaf, Dog mom. What kind of dog do you have? :wave:

Thanks, Deafdoc!

I have two beloved dogs and my special girl always in my heart who we lost. I have a male Black Lab who is ten years, and a new -to-us < not in terms of age> Rottie girl <Rottweiler> from the breeder of the dog whom we lost. I am involved in rescue <explanation if desired or wanted> and am a positive/Clicker trainer. I have always loved dogs and have done volunteer work in shelters.

I am hearing; husband hoh-oral. I have recently had the opportunity to start to re-learn ASL through the aid and patience of a local Deaf adult who I met through a co-op. I only learned a small portion of the language/other aspects of culture years back when I at one time worked temporarily in a recreational program with Deaf kids and staff was mixed hearing/Deaf. To me I think it is important to learn about the languages and cultures around me; I have come into contact with Deaf people here and want to communicate better.

Chips Ahoy and :welcome: aboard All Deaf Ms Dog Mom, from the right coast.
joewajgiftfrcl10oct05.jpg

thanks, dreamsfloatjoe - curious where you are in relation to Sanibel Isl? My folks went to Fl. a few years back and were on Sanibel.
I've heard parts of the Keys are especially dog-friendly.

Thanks, Deafdoc!

I have two beloved dogs and my special girl always in my heart who we lost. I have a male Black Lab who is ten years, and a new -to-us < not in terms of age> Rottie girl <Rottweiler> from the breeder of the dog whom we lost. I am involved in rescue <explanation if desired or wanted> and am a positive/Clicker trainer. I have always loved dogs and have done volunteer work in shelters.

I am hearing; husband hoh-oral. I have recently had the opportunity to start to re-learn ASL through the aid and patience of a local Deaf adult who I met through a co-op. I only learned a small portion of the language/other aspects of culture years back when I at one time worked temporarily in a recreational program with Deaf kids and staff was mixed hearing/Deaf. To me I think it is important to learn about the languages and cultures around me; I have come into contact with Deaf people here and want to communicate better.

That's great! I have a black lab/golden mix, a service dog. He's the best. Anyone who doesn't have a dog, doesn't know the joy of unconditional love. :D

thanks, dreamsfloatjoe - curious where you are in relation to Sanibel Isl? My folks went to Fl. a few years back and were on Sanibel.
I've heard parts of the Keys are especially dog-friendly.
YVW Ms Dog Mom. I am about 385 miles north and east of Sanibel. Sanibel being on the west coast (the gulf) and a tad north of the keys. I am on the Georgia border (way up north Florida) on the east coast, the Atlantic Ocean side. Our beaches, town, a few restaurants (put out fresh cold drinking water and treats for dogs and cats in bowls) and island is very dog and cat friendly. There is a special park just for dogs. :laugh2: I do not know much about what part of the keys being dog friendly. I do know our three mutts travel with me, if my mutts can't stay, I don't. I never kennel my mutts. My three mutts are all 'rescued', they have been put through enough. Just me. I have a book from AAA travel service, that lists all the lodging, etc that is dog friendly and allows mutts to stay as guests through out the United States.

O Good Grief: we even have Bark Avenue Pet Boutique for dogs and cats, Fernandina Beach, Florida You can get the latest stuff to keep your pet cool and comfortable at the beach! :giggle: (You can order on line) No affiliation, usual disclaimer

Last edited:
Hello there Dog's Mom!
^ pun pun, ignore me if I get a bit ridiculous because I'm probably infamous for that around here.

Welcome to our little yet big community. You'll discover that here in our little villa we consist of some grumpies, many shies, some happies, and some anxious groups of people. But for the most part, we're all pretty active and love to converse and babble amongst ourselves in just anything. We are well versed in politics, world issues, football, financial tips, ASL, medical diagnosises, how deaf people are treated in the world, and dubbya's shoe dodge.

We are anticipating for our community grow larger, and it would be nice to see if you become a part of that expansion. We need another debater or two in our topics for hearty opinions!
33ue4nk.jpg

I've a question though, but I believe it trespasses into the personal realm. If it is out of bounds, I would completely oblige to understand your response. You've mentioned that you have a HH husband -- how did you guys meet up, get along, what do like in him the most?

All the best.

thanks for all the welcome!

we also have several holistic pet supply shops here which I do frequent, mostly to buy raw food and holistic supplements......I don't do clothes for dogs or "cute" -type stuff really. But I like to support the holistic and independent shops too and I like to look!

I have been to many states but not Florida........I love to travel so hopefully someday!

You can ask about where/how I met my husband - no biggie - we both met in college. I was sitting in the hall waiting for my class to begin and he was walking back and forth between his own classes<later I found out he was working on some kinda technical or science project; his major was computer information systems>. So he saw me and we started talking and then it kinda went from there. He was about two years ahead of me in school. We dated all through college - I went for 6 years as is common since I didn't know what I wanted to do and switched around. I also was diagnosed with math-related LD <finally> after failing remedial non-college-credit math for the third time. Hubby has bilateral BTE aids and an undeveloped optic nerve in one eye. His birth mother had German Measles/Rubella.

I have done some volunteer work training service dogs and my guys will close and open certain things for me - am working on that more with my younger dog <the Rottie puppy>. I have a nice pack from Wolfpacks that someday she will be able to carry with weight so that she has more of a job to do when she goes out and about with me, as she is a Working breed. Another thing I hope to do with her is cart; we tried that with my first Rottie but for medical reasons we couldn't do much with that with her. But the Rott was originally a herding and draft<cart> dog in Germany.

Naisho, we get along well I think because in many ways we complement each other - he is extremely logical, detail-oriented and able to do a lot of technical and mathematical stuff that I don't do/have trouble with due to the LD. He is more "type-A" personality and I am more "Type-B". I taught him the "l love you" sign handshape but that is as far as he is comfortable with publicly. He is very outgoing in many ways but in other ways is more self-conscious than me.

oh- what I like in him most? I like how willing he is to accept me for who I am, and that he is very kindhearted and fairly open-minded. He is also very very persistent and we are both alike in that regard!

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around. :wave:

Back