All Deaf Cheer team!

Ya it was truly amazing. I need to get in contact with the coach first before I want to start any fundraising for the cause just in case it was a one time thing which I hope it isn't and I think they should for sure go to nationals if they can since there is a lot of time til then:) It's in May! I have done numerous fundraisers before I am the fundraiser coordinator as well for my cheer team I am on now:) So I will let you guys know!! Thanks so much! I hope I can make this a better experience for them!

Hmmm.....Good Leadership, gets the ball rolling, Good Heart AND sexy to boot! DJGrace is really really lucky! (That is the correct person right? Your sig. other?) Correct me if I am wrong!

Lol thanks DGirl101:) And yes DJGrace is my gf lol:)

and 15 is the number of people I am not sure there age ranges but I believe they were b/w ages 13-17 or so maybe some of them looked older some younger. In a "special needs" division there isn't an age limit or bracket that they have to be in like other divisions do.

I got in touch with the coach and she said they have been practicing a lot on and off for 2 years and that they will not be attending nationals as it was very hard to get this much done in time for the past comp. But that that are aiming on going to the competition they just competed in AND nationals next year and that she would be more then glad to have my help in getting them uniforms. The ones that some ppl had were borrowed from her all-star team that she used to run (they just so happened to be the same colors as the school colors they have). She said they will continue to have practices here and there but don't want to overwhelm the girls and guys doing the team . She said to stay in touch as well:) Which I will:)

I am a little confused though as to why they went into the "special needs" division...i figured as a team that is very well into the Deaf culture and community they would want to get away from the stigma that Ddeaf ppl are NOT different than hearing ppl. I was a bit disappointed in that aspect and the fact that they were not in a regular competing division but maybe next year they will actually compete...anyway other than that it was great:) can't wait for next years performance and maybe Ill go down and help them with parts of their routine if I can :) i'd love to help them and maybe they could teach my some things too! lol

alicia, if kids look normal to you then wish they didn't use "special" but i dont know the whole story from there. my old school that we couldn't make it into big tournment but thats ok because some of us are not good enough. We already know that but we had blast time being cheered though. its very common for single deaf person with excellent skills who can join with the rest of hearing teams.

anyway, i hope you can meet them. im sure they d like that too when they see your talents to give them some ideas and try to do themselve.

I remember I had one deaf gal who used pure ASL that she taught us how to dance, do skits and so. my god she was sooooo GOOD at it. She did pretty good with the musics that my coach was impressed with.

Ya maybe...but I thought they would just work a bit harder to feel the music and such instead of going into the special need division but maybe it was just for the first time:)

I hope so too...i am sure I can learn a lot from them! I wish I knew ASL or I would have talked to them at the competition lol darn

When I was in a mainstream high school, I had a deaf classmate who was good at sommersault in 1963 or 1964 to 1966. At first she was in the variety cheerleading team (8th or 9th grades) and then later in the pro cheerleading team during the senior years. She was very good with the hearing cheerleaders. I thought wow, she must be the first deaf cheerleader in our high school. Also it must be amazing for her to participate if she had kept her grades up. I don't know. That is really rare. Way to go to my classmate and friend. I found her in facebook. She looks great. I also found some of my classmates too. Not all. I am very happy. :D

This so cool, made my morning to read all this. On a side note, I was ready to sign up for a cheer team for Ad, hahaha. ;)

At my school, only the prettiest and the snobbiest girls were allowed on the cheerleading team. So, I don't really care for this. Sorry. I still remember the snobby girls. They were horrible to me and other students.

well the Sir James Whitney school for the deaf did not care for who was pretty they cared for who ever was interested in joining the team. You didn't have to say that you "don't really care for this" as it has nothing to do with you but has to do with a wonderful group of people who tried something that requires a lot of hearing

At the school that I went to....what mattered was spirit of the cheer.

Any girl that wanted to be in the cheerleading squad got to try out and some of the girls were heavyset but that was fine with the Cheer Coach.

So many girls tried out that the school decided to make a Dance Team, Banner Team, and Ribbon Team

No matter what size, shape, form, short or tall. They still got in.

Now thats what I call a good School.

At my school, only the prettiest and the snobbiest girls were allowed on the cheerleading team. So, I don't really care for this. Sorry. I still remember the snobby girls. They were horrible to me and other students.

I'm sorry that it came to that. I'm sorry that you feel that way because of the few that are brainless twits who are shallow and mean.

However, if you do not care for Cheerleading, or this thread, then the best option you have is to say nothing at all.

This is about a group that is doing something that is hard to do. Cheerleading without the benefit of hearing, and in my book, they get my support not negativity.

That is really cool!
I am the only deaf one out of the few all star gyms i cheer at.
and also the only deaf/legally blind all star cheerleader that i know of.
(if you do not believe me look on you tube :)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0RfLHQWXxA&feature=related]YouTube - Meagan Tanner's Enjoy My Day at Matrix-Director's Cut[/ame] (full of crashes)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5-3ZACTKJ4&feature=related]YouTube - Meagan Tanner's arabian through to dbl and flip stunt[/ame] (on floor)
Enjoy!
(let me know what you think of them)

Have you ever thought about trying out for the Olympics. My best friend who is deaf also grew up doing these kinds of moves for gymnastics and cheer. She wanted to try out for the Olympics but her parents were too overprotective.

sick tumble pass and great double...the first one when u land ur double it looks like ur over rotating it thats why ur legs were comin out from underneath u for the landing but u have great form and obvs u have it on floor now...what allstar team do u cheer for? and how the heck do u get ur CI to stay on while u tumble!? lol

sick tumble pass and great double...the first one when u land ur double it looks like ur over rotating it thats why ur legs were comin out from underneath u for the landing but u have great form and obvs u have it on floor now...what allstar team do u cheer for? and how the heck do u get ur CI to stay on while u tumble!? lol

you take it off lol

LOL, thanks everyone! :)
Cheerleading is not an Olympic sport. (yet) lol
I cheer for several cheer gyms, request to add me as a friend on the cochlear community, and when i get back on the computer sometime this weekend I will tell you. :)
Also request to join the CI cheer and gymnastics group. :)
long story short, snug fit, ribbons, silly puddy, and lots of hair clips. but I am searching for a better way to keep it on as i broke the small band part of the snug fit at nationals last year. (yes the CI stayed on, but just flopped around on my head until I got a break in the routine to fix it real quick.)
I am thinking about velcro for the sung fit to stay on better. :) (someone else mentioned it, and braiding the t coil into hair)
yes i do take it off sometimes :)

Have a nice day everyone!
I will check back soon!

Props to you, cheerleader!! WORD!

keep that up and you'll rise the successful in your resume of the cheerleader experience :]

props to you!

Back