All about electric cars!

Another reason to change as soon as possible is to remove the dependence on foreign oil. Yes, Sequoias, better safe than sorry.

I'm all for reducing our dependence on foreign oil as long as it's economical and efficient. I don't have any problem with being profitable at it either.

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

With nanotechnology, smaller, lighter, more powerful batteries are possible for electric cars. I knew that hydrogen technology isn't feasible for now.

Yes, this is fact but show me new technologies that oil has helped? So far I know none directly from oil companies. Do not mention about car makers, they are entirely separate from oil industries.

See, what I mean? They getting money for research and developed but provided nothing to customers like us. That is because they got so much profit, why bother research and improvements?

As the years go on, government hands out funds for research and passes legislations and companies will continually come out with new technologies.

with new technologies, we're consuming less and less oil. simple as that.

Yes, this is fact but show me new technologies that oil has helped? So far I know none directly from oil companies. Do not mention about car makers, they are entirely separate from oil industries.

See, what I mean? They getting money for research and developed but provided nothing to customers like us. That is because they got so much profit, why bother research and improvements?

Oh, so you want everyone to stop using oil because you are not getting anything in return?

Oil is king because of technology. If they want to stay there they need to seriously invest in R&D. Once other energy sources start to match the energy density of Oil, you will see some serious decline in the use of oil.

Just think about this, if you got an idea for some improvement that would reduce oil. You will be hearing from oil executives offering you money for the invention and trust me, it will be at least 7 figures. Will you take it or turn away? If you turn away 7 figures, they won't have issue raise to 8 or more figures until you take the deal then oil companies will put that invention in file and tucked away. Has it happened? I would bet my ass on it.

They raked in billions of dollars on profits, they stand little to lose anything and it is at their biggest advantage.

Other way to give you better idea. You are getting billions on yearly profits, are you willing to try to find way to help customers save money and stand to lose profits? I don't think anyone would be that willing. It is greedy that is taking over and it very difficult to break the greedy.

Oh, so you want everyone to stop using oil because you are not getting anything in return?

Oil is king because of technology. If they want to stay there they need to seriously invest in R&D. Once other energy sources start to match the energy density of Oil, you will see some serious decline in the use of oil.

seriously? no they did not get rich because we car drivers are always buying oil... no way. trust me - NO WAY. It's because they invested heavily in everything and they got great returns. they are one of key leaders in research and technology.

only oil countries like Saudi Arabia just sit around and do nothing for us. In fact, those oil countries pay a great deal of money to oil companies for technologies.

Top Five Oil Company-Backed Renewable Energy Ventures
Chevron - BrightSource Energy (a solar thermal technology company) and Southwest Windpower

ExxonMobil - partners with Synthetic Genomics for biofuel research & technology

Shell - partners with Brazilian biofuels firm Cosan to form a $12 billion joint venture, Raizen, to be one of the world's largest producers and distributers of sugarcane ethanol.

BP - it has publicized plans to break ground on a 36 million gallon cellulosic biofuels plant--the first fully integrated, commercial-scale US cellulosic production facility--in Highlands County, Florida, early next year. The firm has already begun developing a 20,000-acre farm for feedstock.

and another one -

Top Ten Big Oil Company Green Initiatives in Cleantech | CleanTechies Blog - CleanTechies.com
1) BP Creating Sustainable Biofuels for Transportation. BP has been working on producing biofuels to reduce dependence on oil and provide a number of new jobs for farmers and other individuals. The biofuels being produced by BP are looking to be low cost, reduced carbon emissions, sustainable, and have the ability to offer the global community a new type of fuel to fulfill transportation needs. The BP Biofuels Global Technology Center in California houses all the research and development to commercialize a brand new technology that would turn viable materials into biofuels.

2) Shell and Wind Energy. Currently, Shell Oil company is involved with 11 separate wind projects throughout the North American and European continents. The total sum of generating capacity of this wind projects equals approximately 1,100 megawatts. Roughly 900 megawatts of this total capacity is generated from around 722 wind turbines included in eight wind projects throughout the United States. The largest one is the Mount Storm wind project, located in West Virginia. Established in 2008, this project created 264 megawatts of wind-generated energy. Other large-scale joint-venture wind projects are located in Germany, Spain, and the Netherlands.

3) Joint Collaboration between Shell Gas and Power and Toyota. In 2004, Toyota partnered with Shell Gas and Power to launch a new trial of what is known as Shell Gas to Liquids (GTL) fuel in a new fleet of Toyota Avensis cars, which would also be equipped with D-CAT emission reduction technology. This trial, known as “Driving Tomorrow’s Clean Technology,” is part of a wider research program between the two companies that looks to demonstrate the effectiveness of low emissions GTL fuels in current diesel car engines without the need for investment or conversion. Started in the United Kingdom, David Jamieson, the Transport Minister said, “I am very pleased to see leading players in the oil and motor industries working together like this to find creative ways of reducing the impact of road transport on the environment.”

4) Chevron Energy Solutions. Created by the oil company, Chevron Energy Solutions is a national leader in clean energy innovation and development. Chevron Energy Solutions has created a number of sustainable energy initiatives to increase energy efficiency as well as renewable energy, decrease energy costs, and guarantee high quality and reliable energy for all facilities – including government, business, and education. The goals of all the initiatives are the same, decrease negative environmental impacts, save taxpayers money, improve public buildings, support sustainability goals, improve overall energy security, and increase local economic growth.

5) ConocoPhillips Increases Spending on New Energy Technologies. Houston, Texas based oil company ConocoPhillips has increased their technology budget toward clean energy technology innovations. ConocoPhillips, the first major oil company to become a member of the Unite States Climate Action Project, is starting to reposition itself to be more than “just an oil company.” In 2008, the oil company increased the budget to $500 million toward various areas of technology, including new exploration technology to detect undersea gas and oil deposits without increasing environmental impact, various breakthroughs in the creation of lithium-ion battery technologies, “coal-to-gas” technologies, and carbon storage and capture technologies. According to the senior vice president for technology, Stephen Brand, “With our emphasis on research and development, alternatives like solar, geothermal, clean coal and battery technology are where we put our efforts, in addition to moving forward on renewable like biodiesel and cellulosic ethanol.”

6) ExxonMobil Corporation Explores Use of Algae Biofuels for Alternative Energy. Senior Vice President of ExxonMobil, Andrew Swiger, has said that even though oil, natural gas, and coal are going to represent approximately 80 percent of the global supply of energy through the year 2030, renewable energies are going to play a big role in the increasing demand for energy. Because of this, ExxonMobil is looking for ways to provide for the future energy needs. According to Swiger, “We are testing the hypothesis that algae biofuels could become commercially viable and achieve sufficient scale to make meaningful contribution to the future energy mix.” Algae currently have the potential to create large quantities of oil to be processed in current refineries and will make fuels compatible with all existing transportation infrastructure and technology.

7) Chevron and Solar Power. Chevron is credited with being one of the largest solar photovoltaic developers throughout the state of California. This oil companies is also the top installer of solar projects in various educations institutions. Currently, the oil company has installed over 128,000 solar panels, including rooftop systems. For example, Chevron conducted the largest program for solar power as well as energy efficiency in the San Jose k-12 Unified School District. The Contra Costa Community College District located in Northern California has the largest solar power system out of any higher education institution in the United States. One last example is the Oakland, California United States Postal Service office which has the largest rooftop-based solar energy system for a federal facility.

8 ) ConocoPhillips Joins GE and NRG in 2011 for $300 Million Alternative Energy Alliance. At the start of 2011, oil company ConocoPhillips partnered with NRG and HE to invest $300 million in various emerging technologies for alternative energy. The money was committed to the joint venture known as Energy Technology Ventures and will fund an estimated 30 venture and growth-stage businesses spanned over the next four years. Some of the first investments will include solar photovoltaic and non-food biofuels. Energy Technology Ventures is poised to invest in the companies as well as provide commercial collaboration opportunities for companies in the smart grid, renewable power generation, energy efficiency, emissions control, biofuels, and water sectors throughout North America, Europe, as well as Israel.

9) Chevron Uses a Solar Plant for Steam Generation. Chevron currently employed BrightSource, a solar startup company to build them a solar thermal plant. This solar plant, located in California, is not for electricity, but rather for steam generation to be utilized in getting oil out from beneath the ground. This is to replace natural gas to make it easier and more efficient to extract the oil. Chevron Technology Ventures business developer Sergio Hoyos states that though solar thermal power cannot replace natural gas for steam production, it is a beneficial opportunity for the oil company to save on energy, reduce carbon emissions, and champion a renewable source of energy.

10) BP Green Commuting Initiative. BP China, in 2006, created the Green Commuting Initiative in an effort to reduce the number of cars of the street, increase public transportation, and reduce the total amount of carbon dioxide emissions going into the atmosphere. To increase BP employee involvement, public transportation passes were provided to individuals signing a letter of commitment to utilize public transportation a minimum of two times per month.

do you really think oil companies are stupid? c'mon... they're very smart and they have teams of geniuses. they're not always evil. there is HUGE HUGE HUGE money in green technology so why would oil companies not invest in it?

Just think about this, if you got an idea for some improvement that would reduce oil. You will be hearing from oil executives offering you money for the invention and trust me, it will be at least 7 figures. Will you take it or turn away? If you turn away 7 figures, they won't have issue raise to 8 or more figures until you take the deal then oil companies will put that invention in file and tucked away. Has it happened? I would bet my ass on it.

They raked in billions of dollars on profits, they stand little to lose anything and it is at their biggest advantage.

My father used to say similar things to me when I was growing up. He didn't have any proof back then and I doubt you will find any proof now. Why waste our time arguing something that neither of us can prove either way?

Has it really happened? I have been hearing talks and read news for over 40 years and nothing really make major differences. These talks and news have been BS for long time. I believe the only way to make difference is once oil reserves drying up and no more oil is found. That is when oil companies going into panic mode and open several files of invention and start using it for themselves. I wont be surprise if it happens.

My father used to say similar things to me when I was growing up. He didn't have any proof back then and I doubt you will find any proof now. Why waste our time arguing something that neither of us can prove either way?

Has it really happened? I have been hearing talks and read news for over 40 years and nothing really make major differences. These talks and news have been BS for long time.

I've given you facts in my post above. I cannot believe you didn't know :dunno2:

In tiny tweety percentage, like 1 or 2%? It won't make dent and the sales for these kind of alternative fuel has dropped 1% from last year and what does it tell you? Even if it is 10% it won't make much difference. The only time it will show difference is once hit 25% or higher then I'd believe the talks.

I've given you facts in my post above. I cannot believe you didn't know :dunno2:

Other way to give you better idea. You are getting billions on yearly profits, are you willing to try to find way to help customers save money and stand to lose profits? I don't think anyone would be that willing. It is greedy that is taking over and it very difficult to break the greedy.

incorrect.

see my post above. it is in oil companies' best interest to continue making money by being green-friendly. it is also in their best interest to continue researching and investing for cleaner environment so that more and more public will have good faith in them to not dirty our backyard and water... which means they will gain support and public confidence in its oil drilling expeditions or whatsoever.

improving efficiency that would consume less oil is actually profitable. think about the profit they will get for that patented technology.

In tiny tweety percentage, like 1 or 2%? It won't make dent and the sales for these kind of alternative fuel has dropped 1% from last year and what does it tell you? Even if it is 10% it won't make much difference. The only time it will show difference is once hit 25% or higher then I'd believe the talks.

I have no idea what you're talking about. You're just rambling, man. got any fact or something concrete for whatever you're talking about?

We have been using biofuels for quite a long time. It's profitable. VERY profitable. That's one of the reasons why they're making record-setting profits.

Sure, but it has caused food price to climb. Now we are paying dearly on food prices. Where do you think Bio fuels coming from?

I have no idea what you're talking about. You're just rambling, man. got any fact or something concrete for whatever you're talking about?

We have been using biofuels for quite a long time. It's profitable. VERY profitable. That's one of the reasons why they're making record-setting profits.

Sure, but it has caused food price to climb. Now we are paying dearly on food prices.
It's certainly not of biofuel craze :laugh2:

Where do you think Bio fuels coming from?

did you read what I just wrote?

6) ExxonMobil Corporation Explores Use of Algae Biofuels for Alternative Energy. Senior Vice President of ExxonMobil, Andrew Swiger, has said that even though oil, natural gas, and coal are going to represent approximately 80 percent of the global supply of energy through the year 2030, renewable energies are going to play a big role in the increasing demand for energy. Because of this, ExxonMobil is looking for ways to provide for the future energy needs. According to Swiger, “We are testing the hypothesis that algae biofuels could become commercially viable and achieve sufficient scale to make meaningful contribution to the future energy mix.” Algae currently have the potential to create large quantities of oil to be processed in current refineries and will make fuels compatible with all existing transportation infrastructure and technology.

all initiatives cost money. PC used to be very expensive and now it's dirt cheap. same thing. and we're not going to make biofuel solely from corns.

Big Oil Bets Against America's Energy Future, Congressional Research Service Report Finds | ThinkProgress

Read on, this is exact what I am talking about. Oil companies does not care about anything except green papers with dead US presidents on it.

I have not seen anything in there that supports your claim. It basically proved my point.

This year, first and second quarter Big Oil profits stand at a grand total of $67.4 billion, more than doubling the half-year earnings of both 2009 and 2010. According to the CRS report, each of the top five companies has big plans for ramping up clean energy R&D:

ExxonMobil is partnering with Synthetic Genomics in developing algae biofuels. The research and development program could total $600 million over the life of the project if Congressional Research Service milestones are attained. Shell is part of a joint venture to produce ethanol from sugar cane in Brazil, and is developing technology to process ethanol from straw with Iogen Energy, of Canada. Chevron is a global partner with Cleantech Open in encouraging clean technologies [and] has partnering agreements in solar energy, biofuels, and geothermal energy around the world.

BP announced in 2010 that it plans to invest $8 billion in alternative energy through 2015. ConocoPhillips is developing lithium batteries to improve energy efficiency in transportation and stationary uses. The ConocoPhillips Energy Prize is a joint program with The Pennsylvania State University offering a prize of $300,000 for ideas in alternative energy, energy efficiency, and combating climate change.

The CRS report admits “these investments are not all for R&D” but optimistically notes that “they demonstrate the interest that oil majors have in alternative technologies.”

Like I said - it is in oil companies' best interest to pursue green-friendly technology because it will be profitable.

I have nothing against these oil companies raking in profits as long as they invest in other things such as green technology. why should I have a problem with it? This is a capitalist country. If they're raking in so much $$$$$, then they must be doing something right.

You don't like it? so why are you driving gas-guzzling trucks then? you are making these "greedy oil companies" richer and richer every time you refuel your trucks. don't be a silly hypocrite.

Your missing my point. Now that oil companies "Owns it" and they can decide what to do with it. In their own shoe, they wants one thing... P R O F I T and will they be willing to give up profits? I don't think so, they can pretend they are working on it and not really do anything about it. I know it over years.

We had serious oil crisis during 1970's, have they made change into alternative fuel vehicles? They actually never made it happen, otherwise we will already be seeing but not!

It's certainly not of biofuel craze :laugh2:

did you read what I just wrote?

all initiatives cost money. PC used to be very expensive and now it's dirt cheap. same thing. and we're not going to make biofuel solely from corns.

Your missing my point.
and I'm trying to show you that your point is incorrect and it's full of myths & misconceptions. It's time to learn something new and I'm telling you facts, not old wives' tales.

Now that oil companies "Owns it" and they can decide what to do with it. In their own shoe, they wants one thing... P R O F I T and will they be willing to give up profits? I don't think so, they can pretend they are working on it and not really do anything about it. I know it over years.
again - see above.

We had serious oil crisis during 1970's, have they made change into alternative fuel vehicles? They actually never made it happen, otherwise we will already be seeing but not!

Oil Crisis was because of couple of oil countries witholding their oil supplies to increase the price.

and why are you talking about alternative fuel vehicles? oil companies do not make cars.

stop being stubborn. time to learn new information.

Im not being stubborn. This has to do with what I am seeing and hearing over 40 years. 40 years is long long time to realize. I used to be like you, believing that there will be change. Now I don't believe anymore. The only time I would believe is when I see around with enough alternative fuel suppliers and vehicles. So far I have seen almost ZERO what does it tell me? Here in my home town, there is ONLY one alternative fuel refueling station. It has been like this for over 10 years. If truly improving I would already be seeing more by now but nope.

and I'm trying to show you that your point is incorrect and it's full of myths & misconceptions. It's time to learn something new and I'm telling you facts, not old wives' tales.

again - see above.

Oil Crisis was because of couple of oil countries witholding their oil supplies to increase the price.

and why are you talking about alternative fuel vehicles? oil companies do not make cars.

stop being stubborn. time to learn new information.

Im not being stubborn. This has to do with what I am seeing and hearing over 40 years. 40 years is long long time to realize. I used to be like you, believing that there will be change. Now I don't believe anymore.
40 years hearing from who?

The only time I would believe is when I see around with enough alternative fuel suppliers and vehicles. So far I have seen almost ZERO what does it tell me?
What does it tell you? well I hope it means their idea went kaput and they're going to pursue another idea - something more practical and economical.

Here in my home town, there is ONLY one alternative fuel refueling station. It has been like this for over 10 years. If truly improving I would already be seeing more by now but nope.
nearly all gas stations now have ethanol added to fuel. all new cars have nicely improved gas mileages.

Back