All about electric cars!

oh my god...... you're still on alternative fuel??????? wow....

Your are missing my point.

Show me evidence that Oil companies actually working on alternative fuel please?
I already did. Post #146 and Post #156

It has to be significant, not just their "side job" to make them look good.
why does it have to be significant right now? are you in a hurry?

There you go, can't convert fuel station overnight, that is where Oil company has huge advantage and play games with us. Here in Rochester NY, we have only one alternative fuel station for 10 years, why not build more by now?

I think you guys misunderstand what I am trying to say.
how many cars are there that can use alternative fuel?

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/fuels/stations_maps.html - btw - NY has total of 466 alternative fuel stations.

Your are missing my point.

Show me evidence that Oil companies actually working on alternative fuel please? It has to be significant, not just their "side job" to make them look good.

There you go, can't convert fuel station overnight, that is where Oil company has huge advantage and play games with us. Here in Rochester NY, we have only one alternative fuel station for 10 years, why not build more by now?

I think you guys misunderstand what I am trying to say.

actually, the number of alternative fuel stations are on the rapid rise and many gas/oil companies are also exploring for minerals, rare earths and shalel gas.

For example, solar panels require many kinds of minerals, i.e.silver and copper, if solar energy industry takes off (and it will because China is heavily undercutting America's prices on solar panels meaning Home Depot may soon be selling made in China solar panels at much more affordable prices) - this means minerals and rare earths will be in heavier demand and oil companies know there is limited supply for some of those minerals which will drive prices up so they are quietly acquiring mineral mining companies. I am actually thinking about investing in copper - it's in very limited supply yet it's in high demand, so much so that while exploring homes for sale in the US, I've gotten into the habit of asking agents if the homes, if uninhabited, had been stripped for copper. Thieves are making a fortune from stolen copper wires.

One oil company Exxon is exploring making fuel from algae. What oil companies tend to do is seek out smaller alternative fuel companies and acquire them just like Bill Gates acquired smaller software companies - he didn't try to beat the competition, he bought them out.

Now you are talking... why do you think Bill Gates bought software companies? Sounded like you meant that Bill gate pretend not to beat the competition, yet found a way to kill competition instead. That is perfect example of business tactic. Microsoft corp didn't lose the anti trust trial few years ago but found guilty in Europe. What does this tell you? I knew it is corrupted right there but Mr. Gate successfully walks away from blind suckers. I know Microsoft have bought several software and killed them. These practices is very common to help keep company profit rolling in.

One oil company Exxon is exploring making fuel from algae. What oil companies tend to do is seek out smaller alternative fuel companies and acquire them just like Bill Gates acquired smaller software companies - he didn't try to beat the competition, he bought them out.

Now you are talking... why do you think Bill Gates bought software companies? Sounded like you meant that Bill gate pretend not to beat the competition, yet found a way to kill competition instead. That is perfect example of business tactic. Microsoft corp didn't lose the anti trust trial few years ago but found guilty in Europe. What does this tell you? I knew it is corrupted right there but Mr. Gate successfully walks away from blind suckers. I know Microsoft have bought several software and killed them. These practices is very common to help keep company profit rolling in.

killed them???? huh? You are actually using the products that Microsoft bought out! It's called.... MS Office. Visio. Skype. and hundreds more.

You are confused. Microsoft did not just buy them out and throw it away. Don't be foolish. They either integrated it into their product or re-badged it.

LOL, there are severals cars that got excellent mileage back in 80's. Yes there was cars with almost 50MPG during 80's. So, really it has not changed much. Of course, the emission has improved but it does affect mileage negative too.

I once owned 1985 car that gets me 60MPG. So, it is STILL not new to me.

Edit: Super Cheap High MPG Cars: 1978-1981 | MPGomatic

Wrong, All of them were too slow for enter the highway due poor acceleration and very danger from high speed semi-truck when you entered the highway from the ramp. Now most newer 40 mpgs are fast than 80's with 40mpg.

Come here and take i80 at Iowa and good luck with 70-80mph from semi-trucks.

The thing is that diesel trains is basically runs a huge diesel generator to feed electricity to the huge 6,000 lb electric motors in each axles...about 4 of them. The trains are about 85% more fuel efficient than back in the 1980's. Trains are more efficient carrying bigger loads of cargo than smaller load of cargos. Semi trucks are better for carrying fewer cargos which is cheaper.

The most old locomotives used V16 diesel engine or more. New most locomotives with big three engines (I6 diesel each not sure what type of engine) That's mean use one engine running at low speed, or 3 engines running when uphill. Yeah three engines are pretty fuel efficient than single bigass engine.

Oh you wanted to be naive, then let it be.

no I'm not naive but I want to know exactly what you are talking about.

does this mean you cannot explain it clearly and concretely to me?

Oh yeah, I know about this. My VW Jetta diesel were like that. Worst on acceleration. About the same rate as 18 wheelers. I often have to floor the pedal, took like 15 or 20 seconds to reach to 60MPH from zero.

I have respect for these 18 wheelers. They have their own limits, and it is called WEIGHT. They can't stop fast like cars can. I have seen idiots who thinks can go right in front of 18 wheelers and slammed on brakes. Real scary for that idiot drivers. Truck drivers hate this so much.

Wrong, All of them were too slow for enter the highway due poor acceleration and very danger from high speed semi-truck when you entered the highway from the ramp. Now most newer 40 mpgs are fast than 80's with 40mpg.

Come here and take i80 at Iowa and good luck with 70-80mph from semi-trucks.

The most old locomotives used V16 diesel engine or more. New most locomotives with big three engines (I6 diesel each not sure what type of engine) That's mean use one engine running at low speed, or 3 engines running when uphill. Yeah three engines are pretty fuel efficient than single bigass engine.

Usually most new locomotives have V10 and V12, I believe. I don't think I have heard of one that have 3 engines in one locomotive. Maybe you meant one for powering the electronics and controls and one for main generator?

Usually most new locomotives have V10 and V12, I believe. I don't think I have heard of one that have 3 engines in one locomotive. Maybe you meant one for powering the electronics and controls and one for main generator?

Something like that. I saw it from tv about it. I can't find anywhere from the internet. Ugh!

I think the V16 engine come from 2- V8 cylinder blocks and one crankshaft.

Why don't you guys to move the diesel story to "DIESEL" thread. Not belong to this thread. Dst

This is about gas and electric....should I start a hybrid thread? :lol:

Anyway, yesterday we went to a deaf event. A christmas party...one of the guys have a Chevy Volt, he lives in Cedar Rapids. He says he commutes to work and doesn't use a drop of gas because he doesn't live far from work. If he wants to go far, he can use some gas if he goes out of electric range of 35-40 miles.

Back