Alcoholism

I see anywhere else (except drinks and drug stuff) is over eighteen of the age. I think 18 is old enough, so it should to lower the number of age to eighteen.
Like our law down here. .....

I don't think any age do drink responsibly, but if I had to voted, I would say drinking age should go up and the maturity level to drink in my view should be at the age of 30, the same I would say about smoking should be at the age of 30 and not at the age of 18 years old. ;)

Do you have any idea that the United States of America has the highest legal drinking age in the world than any of the countries?

21 is enough for me, the only thing I would take very seriously is the driving and drinking.

Also about the cigarettes, well there are no serious accident in the cars caused by the cigarettes. People just smoke outside or at their homes and nothing happens, so there are not much of cases that make the cigarette a issue except for the health issue. It's the adult's choice.

"The U.S. General Accounting Office (GAO) subsequently identified 19 states which did not specifically prohibit the consumption of alcohol by persons under the age of 21" :hmm: interesting....

Yes, some of states are varied from between the states laws and the federal laws.

Talking about cigarettes.....here in Jacksonville a few months ago, a friend of mine and her 16 yr. old son went to the grocery store. He stayed outside the store "to smoke a cigarette", while she went inside to buy some food.

A police officer drove by, and asked the boy "where did you get those cigarettes?...He replied "my mother bought them for me"....."She allows me to smoke"......Both the mother and son had to pay a fine, I believe it was 3 hundred and something like that.....

My friend told me..."I can't stop my son from smoking!"....Well, they both learned an expensive lesson! The boy still smokes, but does it at home and if he smokes outside, he hides it.

Talking about cigarettes.....here in Jacksonville a few months ago, a friend of mine and her 16 yr. old son went to the grocery store. He stayed outside the store "to smoke a cigarette", while she went inside to buy some food.

A police officer drove by, and asked the boy "where did you get those cigarettes?...He replied "my mother bought them for me"....."She allows me to smoke"......Both the mother and son had to pay a fine, I believe it was 3 hundred and something like that.....

My friend told me..."I can't stop my son from smoking!"....Well, they both learned an expensive lesson! The boy still smokes, but does it at home and if he smokes outside, he hides it.
Apparently the mom didn't learn anything from that expensive lesson.

Sounds like the boy is so deeply addicted to nicotine and is having trouble quitting?

Sounds like the boy is so deeply addicted to nicotine and is having trouble quitting?

Possible....I don't see her very much. Her son is her only child, so what he wants, he usually gets! She smokes also. And yeah, he is still smoking! He's home-schooled also, got kicked-out of so many public schools for "smoking on the grounds"....so go figure!

Do you have any idea that the United States of America has the highest legal drinking age in the world than any of the countries?

21 is enough for me, the only thing I would take very seriously is the driving and drinking.

Also about the cigarettes, well there are no serious accident in the cars caused by the cigarettes. People just smoke outside or at their homes and nothing happens, so there are not much of cases that make the cigarette a issue except for the health issue. It's the adult's choice.

Yes, some of states are varied from between the states laws and the federal laws.

Speaking of cigarettes, my friend. Down here in some states for instance, in Sydney from 1st July, smoking in cars are now aganist the law if there is kids under the age of 18. If the police sees them they will be heavily fined. This law came in effect from 1st of July -- 2009

And what states that applies with the legal age of 18?

Speaking of cigarettes, my friend. Down here in some states for instance, in Sydney from 1st July, smoking in cars are now aganist the law if there is kids under the age of 18. If the police sees them they will be heavily fined. This law came in effect from 1st of July -- 2009

Yeah, I've heard about this kind of law and I think some of our states does have the same law as well. It's still based on the health issue.

And what states that applies with the legal age of 18?

This map show some of states that allow parents to share the alcohol with the children.

Underage_consumption_map_2007.gif

Actually only the Guam, Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico that allows the age of 18 and up to buy the alcohol, and the rest are at 21. Also the hours of the liquor stores and the purchase of the low alcohol beverages like the wines, beers, etc are varied by states too.

List of alcohol laws of the United States by state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Family execptions sounds like they could let them drink by the time at 18. My brother told me last night, about his girlfriend, my brother's 16 but girlfriend's a year older and was not happy about her drinking underage without him knowing. I wasn't surprised. He was mad. Nice.

As many of us know, there are many cases of underage drinking in the US. Although it seems harmless, I have seen how bad it can get when young people get very drunk. What shocked me a few years ago is that my cousin from europe told me that their minimum limit is 16 yrs.

With the bar up at 21, do you think it should go higher, lower or leave it the way it is in America?
What age do you think they should be raise to? Alcoholism is a disease and many people are dying from it. Age limit will not stop them from drinking to death.

I remember a student exhchange from France spend a year with a family and my son often visited him. I trusted him then found out he smokes and had drinking. He was then 16 and he said it is allright in France. He got kicked out of program and send back to France. Laws here and in France are not same.

Even if we do that, there still will be people sneaking around drinking and smoking. I think drinking responsibility really depends on the person. I have seen 60 year olds drink irresponsibility. However, I think the majority do drink responsibility. As for smoking..I dont know how one can smoke responsibility..it doesnt impair judgement but can destroy one's health. Maybe by smoking responsibility would be not smoking around others especially children? Just pondering out loud...:hmm:

Good luck with increase popularity of black market like happened in 1930's.

Completely ban or increase of drink age to 30 years old wouldn't change any way but rather to make more worse.

When teens are in deep depression, they seek drinks and it led them into heavy drink and do other stuffs alike drugs and what else, who knows. They should seek professional help when they are in deep depress. sad.

I did not ease in to Alcoholism. I drank and was alcoholic from the first drink.
Alaska was drinkers paradise in those days. I was not prepared in any way for what that meant or where it would take me. I blacked out the first time I drank and I blacked out the last time I drank at age 27. I got drunk the first time at age 13. What a mess. Drinking age was 19 at that time. So the bulk of my personal trainwreck happened in an 8 year span of time. What would have protected society from me? Only no alcohol at all. Which of course is not possible. If the drinking age is 21 everything else should be 21. There should also be no alcohol sold in grocery stores. At least now a days there are many avenues for help, A.A. is the way I went and it was perfect for me but I went voluntarily like A.A. was designed for. It still can work for any body if they want it to bad enough. It is not a replacement for getting help for mental illness. I see people struggle and while they face up to their alcoholism often it is linked to other things that also need a lot of attention.

Wow, I'm amazed that you survived it all. How did you manage to control your drinking over the years?

Wow, I'm amazed that you survived it all. How did you manage to control your drinking over the years?

I was very lucky in that when I went to A.A. there were a lot of very caring very real people there in Anchorage Alaska at that time. It was before the time when the court started ordering people to go there. In that window in time a very successfull Young Peoples Group had take hold and the older A.A. members were soo happy to see it happening and helped as well. Once you get into the real mechanics of how alcoholism takes people down it becomes clear in a hurry that if you can get to people as soon as they have consciousness that they are in trouble with alcohol there is a greater evertual success rate. The older members really had to fight like tigers for a long time to build sobriety and often would go for years only to crash hard. They had so much heart for us younger ones. After the court ordered business came in also came people with terrible multiple addictions to drugs and booze this was out of the area that a lot of the older could work with. A.A.
worked for me and I have not had a drink since March 6th 1983. Because I really did the steps of A.A. and got a sponsor and went to nearly 3000 A.A. meeting over about a fourteen year span I lucky enough to have the desire to drink go away. I don't trust myself though still I am vigilant for the desire to get through my many layers of defense. I don't hang out in bars or keep the stuff in the house. It really makes no sense to do that. A.A. and the people in A.A. and a burning desire to never drink again. That is what I did. Alcoholism can take people into a hell that only we really know. Before we are done we really know something about Hell. We are God's bad little children and for some reason it seems to us as we sober up and try and fail and try and succeed that maybe God has some kind of soft spot however that can be- who really knows the mind of God or anything?

I was very lucky in that when I went to A.A. there were a lot of very caring very real people there in Anchorage Alaska at that time. It was before the time when the court started ordering people to go there. In that window in time a very successfull Young Peoples Group had take hold and the older A.A. members were soo happy to see it happening and helped as well. Once you get into the real mechanics of how alcoholism takes people down it becomes clear in a hurry that if you can get to people as soon as they have consciousness that they are in trouble with alcohol there is a greater evertual success rate. The older members really had to fight like tigers for a long time to build sobriety and often would go for years only to crash hard. They had so much heart for us younger ones. After the court ordered business came in also came people with terrible multiple addictions to drugs and booze this was out of the area that a lot of the older could work with. A.A.
worked for me and I have not had a drink since March 6th 1983. Because I really did the steps of A.A. and got a sponsor and went to nearly 3000 A.A. meeting over about a fourteen year span I lucky enough to have the desire to drink go away. I don't trust myself though still I am vigilant for the desire to get through my many layers of defense. I don't hang out in bars or keep the stuff in the house. It really makes no sense to do that. A.A. and the people in A.A. and a burning desire to never drink again. That is what I did. Alcoholism can take people into a hell that only we really know. Before we are done we really know something about Hell. We are God's bad little children and for some reason it seems to us as we sober up and try and fail and try and succeed that maybe God has some kind of soft spot however that can be- who really knows the mind of God or anything?

I applaud you!....A lot of my own family members were "alkies" until they died....I grew up around it, and 3 of my siblings are alkies....but I feel so lucky to have a strong mind towards addiction of any kind.

The AA in Alaska must be much better than the one we have here in Jax (Fla.)!....As my daughter attended many meetings, drunk and sober each time. After several meetings, she stopped and relapsed...then tried and tried again. So far, it's been 3 months for her without a drink....but she confided to me that the AA meetings she attended, were mainly older people looking for (you guessed it) SEX!....Since they didn't drink anymore, they were looking for Sex....OH WELL!!

Alkies cannot ever drink at all. And need to stay away from those that do drink. No alcohol in the home either. And never, ever hook up with an ex-alkie! 2 alkies together will never work! A sponsor would be best!

Hi Rockin', I rarely ever go to a meeting any more. They bore my ass off. It was way way beyond the norm for my life to go to that many meetings of any kind. I did what I knew I had to do. Had to do. It is like chemotherapy you say this is not an experience I would ordinarily choose but I have to live and I will do this. And I will smile whenever I can and I will do whatever it takes and when the bullets stop flying and all the land is silent again I will pinch myself to to know yes I am still alive.
My heart goes out to your daughter. They do have womens meetings just for the reasons you stated. It is not just men though- there are often a few lesbians working the scene as well. It does not matter. If she is firm about no sexual game playing they will go find someone else. It is the real world in there as well. It is what it is and it can work inspite of the knucklehead factor which is everywhere now.

Hi Rockin', I rarely ever go to a meeting any more. They bore my ass off. It was way way beyond the norm for my life to go to that many meetings of any kind. I did what I knew I had to do. Had to do. It is like chemotherapy you say this is not an experience I would ordinarily choose but I have to live and I will do this. And I will smile whenever I can and I will do whatever it takes and when the bullets stop flying and all the land is silent again I will pinch myself to to know yes I am still alive.
My heart goes out to your daughter. They do have womens meetings just for the reasons you stated. It is not just men though- there are often a few lesbians working the scene as well. It does not matter. If she is firm about no sexual game playing they will go find someone else. It is the real world in there as well. It is what it is and it can work inspite of the knucklehead factor which is everywhere now.

Thank you so much! Wonderful post...

Back