Alcoholism

MoonDrifter

Reaction score
As many of us know, there are many cases of underage drinking in the US. Although it seems harmless, I have seen how bad it can get when young people get very drunk. What shocked me a few years ago is that my cousin from europe told me that their minimum limit is 16 yrs.

With the bar up at 21, do you think it should go higher, lower or leave it the way it is in America?

As many of us know, there are many cases of underage drinking in the US. Although it seems harmless, I have seen how bad it can get when young people get very drunk. What shocked me a few years ago is that my cousin from europe told me that their minimum limit is 16 yrs.

With the bar up at 21, do you think it should go higher, lower or leave it the way it is in America?

Leave it @ 21.

Well it depends, there are some of the states in America that allows the parents to share the alcohol with the children and some don't. The Europe have low age for people to be legal drinking the alcohol compare to America are probably because of their cultures, or maybe because their legal age for driving the cars are higher than the America. Sometimes there are some countries that are too poor for the youngs to have a car and doesn't really bothered if the youngs drink the alcohol. It's all depends.

I like the European's law for the alcohol and driving.

Down here in Australia the legal age to drink is 18, and the age to drive varies on the states, such as my hometown is at 15 and 9 months.

What I find ironic....in the USA, you can drive at 15-16 yrs old....vote when ur 18.....join the military when ur 18....become/be tried as an adult when ur 18.....so many things when you reach "18".....but cannot legally buy or drink until ur "21"....

What I find ironic....in the USA, you can drive at 15-16 yrs old....vote when ur 18.....join the military when ur 18....become/be tried as an adult when ur 18.....so many things when you reach "18".....but cannot legally buy or drink until ur "21"....

Scientist say that the frontal lobe is not fully developed, until the age of 21.

Teenagers can be tried as adults also. 14 years old and up to 17, can be tried as adults. Sometimes younger.

But, I would say keep it at the age of 21.

I think at age 19....if sending a kid to fight our wars at 18...and then saying he can't drink until he's 21...is like saying...."it's OK to get killed at 18....but you can't drink until 21"....

Alcoholicism runs in my family...I grew up in it....not a pretty childhood....and 3 of my siblings became alcoholics too....(out of 6).

I've never had any alcoholic drinks in my home, even no beer, because I have kids. If parents do have alcohol in their homes, I think it's best kept under lock and key, and not drink & party in front of their children.

I would keep it at 21 years old. It didnt hurt me to wait until I was 21 to go to bars and purchase alcohol and I am sure it wont hurt others. I see no harm in it except for teenagers getting arrested for underage drinking but that will happen no matter how much the age limit is lowered.

I don't think any age do drink responsibly, but if I had to voted, I would say drinking age should go up and the maturity level to drink in my view should be at the age of 30, the same I would say about smoking should be at the age of 30 and not at the age of 18 years old. ;)

I don't think any age do drink responsibly, but if I had to voted, I would say drinking age should go up and the maturity level to drink in my view should be at the age of 30, the same I would say about smoking should be at the age of 30 and not at the age of 18 years old. ;)

Even if we do that, there still will be people sneaking around drinking and smoking. I think drinking responsibility really depends on the person. I have seen 60 year olds drink irresponsibility. However, I think the majority do drink responsibility. As for smoking..I dont know how one can smoke responsibility..it doesnt impair judgement but can destroy one's health. Maybe by smoking responsibility would be not smoking around others especially children? Just pondering out loud...:hmm:

I believe it should be left as it is.

If the legal age of obtaining alcoholic beverage lowers down to 16/18, That alone would stem a lot of problems because a lot of times, teenagers will get their hands on the alcoholic beverages through those who are able to get it legally.

It takes a responsible person to know how to balance it out. Of course, It doesn't mean that everyone practices their common sense to say otherwise.

Scientist say that the frontal lobe is not fully developed, until the age of 21.

Teenagers can be tried as adults also. 14 years old and up to 17, can be tried as adults. Sometimes younger.

But, I would say keep it at the age of 21.

I think some people older than 21 frontal lobe is not fully developed! We just just had real bad accident in my city! Nine people were hurt and gas tank rolled over and gas go into our river ! One person was the blame for the whole mess! I think he has no brain!

Even if we do that, there still will be people sneaking around drinking and smoking. I think drinking responsibility really depends on the person. I have seen 60 year olds drink irresponsibility. However, I think the majority do drink responsibility. As for smoking..I dont know how one can smoke responsibility..it doesnt impair judgement but can destroy one's health. Maybe by smoking responsibility would be not smoking around others especially children? Just pondering out loud...:hmm:
What can the police do with these people drinking underage and smoking underage. The police down here doesnt have anything to do with people underage smoking, it is all up to the parents to punish them.. I recall someone saying one of the USA State have legal age of 18 to drink, is this true???

What can the police do with these people drinking underage and smoking underage. The police down here doesnt have anything to do with people underage smoking, it is all up to the parents to punish them.. I recall someone saying one of the USA State have legal age of 18 to drink, is this true???

I would have to check around if there is one state where the drinking age is 18 years old. I wouldnt be surprised though..

I would have to check around if there is one state where the drinking age is 18 years old. I wouldnt be surprised though..
If there was, what's the honest reason for that? :hmm:

Just checked... Read this..

The National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984

The Maryland Underage Drinking Prevention Coalition (MUDPC) summarizes the provisions of the National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984 as follows:

“The legal age for alcohol in the USA is 21 years old.
"The U.S. General Accounting Office (GAO) subsequently identified 19 states which did not specifically prohibit the consumption of alcohol by persons under the age of 21" :hmm: interesting....

I think some people older than 21 frontal lobe is not fully developed! We just just had real bad accident in my city! Nine people were hurt and gas tank rolled over and gas go into our river ! One person was the blame for the whole mess! I think he has no brain!

Since you put it that way! It is defiantly a no brainer! I agree...

Got a kick out of that post!!:lol:

Last edited:
I see anywhere else (except drinks and drug stuff) is over eighteen of the age. I think 18 is old enough, so it should to lower the number of age to eighteen.

Back