Alaska Governor Sarah Palin slashed Deaf School funding

*sigh* Good thing, I don't live America.. Politicians are driving me nuts!

How many times have I said in this forum that a vote for McCain/Palin is a vote against the rights of the deaf and all disabled? I know you've read it several times, Foxrac.

Hmm....... apparently jillio hasn't read any of the follow up posts or checked more reliable sources and instead chooses to blindly follow the lies of the liberal media.

I was just going to ask her to read your post, SM....(post 24)

How many times have I said in this forum that a vote for McCain/Palin is a vote against the rights of the deaf and all disabled? I know you've read it several times, Foxrac.

I have no idea.

I only provide link that some members need proof about Grummer said.

I'll never understand why people jump to believe bullcrap like this. I hate politics and consider myself an Independent voter. I vote on the person, after learning the truths and researching and listening to both sides. I watch FoxNews, CNN, and MSNBC and a couple programs on other channels so that I am informed. Way too many people watch just CNN or some other totally biased program like Oprah or The View and take it for fact.

The fact is, as an independent, I see how blatantly biased towards democrats the huge majority of the media is and way too many people actually believe the lies. This is just another perfect example. The original poster posts some lies and half of you followup posters are believing it and thinking Palin is bad as a result. At least Foxrac tried doing the absolute minimum research by going to a blatantly liberal website and posting a link above. However, Foxrac and everyone else didn't even scroll to the bottom of the article to read the comments and check one or two of the links from posters in the comments section. The Huffington Post article is (as usual) blatant misinformation. Below are a couple links from the comments section of that article to a few much more reliable sources that confirm each other that Palin did in fact increase spending for special needs schooling dramatically (to triple the amount over the next 3 years). Of course I'll still rather see the actual budget documents but I'm really tired and it's way past my bedtime, so it'll have to wait until tomorrow.

That huffingtom post link again (scroll to bottom to read the comments and head closer to the truth):
Adrienne Williams: Palin Slashed "Special Schools" Funding In Alaska

Factcheck.org - Newsweek article:
Factcheck.org: Sliming Palin | Newsweek Politics: Campaign 2008 | Newsweek.com

Education Week article:
Education Week: Alaska Legislators Overhaul Funding

A snippet from the comments and more reliable articles:
A second part of the measure raises spending for students with special needs to $73,840 in fiscal 2011, from the current $26,900 per student in fiscal 2008, according to the Alaska Department of Education and Early Development.

Unlike many other states, Alaska has relatively flush budget coffers, thanks to a rise in oil and gas revenues. Funding for schools will remain fairly level next year, however. Overall per-pupil funding across the state will rise by $100, to $5,480, in fiscal 2009. Total K-12 funding will rise to $1.2 billion from $1.1 billion, when transportation, energy, and other state funds are included, according to estimates from the governor’s Office of Management and Budget.

The state also agreed to add another $216 million to fill in shortfalls in its teacher-retirement system, the budget office said.

The moral of this is don't believe the bullcrap. In this case, at least read the whole article, and the followups/comments to it, and check other articles. Be an educated voter!
:gpost: (from a fellow independent)

Sadly, many people haven't developed their critical reading skills (otherwise known as "the BS detector").

As you have proven, taking passages out of context, or simply ignoring the part of an article that doesn't agree with one's viewpoint, is a common practice. This is especially true every year at Congressional budget time. Many times we read a headline about "slashing" this program and that, only to discover that it is only the amount of the increase that has been reduced but is an INCREASE nonetheless.

Hmm....... apparently jillio hasn't read any of the follow up posts or checked more reliable sources and instead chooses to blindly follow the lies of the liberal media.

Yes, jillio has read the follow up posts, and has given them the credibility they deserve. YOur post is a projected budget for 2011 and forward, and does not negate the fact that there were budget cuts between 2007 and 2008. Likewise, many of these budget proposals are not directed toward special education services, nor services for the deaf student, but are in regards to education in general. Historically, increases in education budgets, unless earmarked specifically for special accommodations for students with disabilites, are not used for such purpose, but for general education.

Actual, you need to know that Alaska population are quite small than Rhode Island. It's small chance there is deaf available in there. I have know some friends in there that told there are hardly seen around
True, but on the other hand the chance that a deafie or a blind kid would be in a nonsuburban middle class setting is VERY high. There are tons of kids who are living in the middle of nowhere and who may have horrible home situtions......need I mention Indian alchyholism?

Some people said won't vote for McCain/Palin

Take this test to see if Barack Obama represents your views. The
wording on this test seems fair and straight-forward. You may be
surprised at the results.
See BarackObamaTest.com ::: Before you vote... take the test

Good luck for your choice right person to be president

We did...

http://www.alldeaf.com/topic-debates/55765-obama-vs-mccain-right-one-you-quiz.html

Edit: I check your link and must say that your link over test is a misleading... I prefer the reliable link, I gave you to look at Puyo's thread.

hm... the same happened with california deaf school. Government Arnold Schwarzenneger did the same thing, no different!
What are u talking about? We stilll have CSDR and CSDF. Our state governor Schwarzenneger slash all kind of education in all schools whether it is hearing or deaf schools.

I believe what Sunshinelady was saying that Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger's proposed $4.4. billion cut to education statewide. Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger wasn't satisfied with approx. $14.5 billion debt, so He asked all departments to cut down such as letting go school teachers, prison guards, prisoners, closing national parks. Several schools in Los Angeles and Orange County were already closed down due to foreclosure housing this summer.
Here's updates: recently, He was planning to raise 'temporary' one-cent state tax to close budget deficit. I believe the one-cent tax increase would remain in effect for 3-4 years or so. So, He had been saying for years that he vows never raising taxes. ;-P

I'll never understand why people jump to believe bullcrap like this. I hate politics and consider myself an Independent voter. I vote on the person, after learning the truths and researching and listening to both sides. I watch FoxNews, CNN, and MSNBC and a couple programs on other channels so that I am informed. Way too many people watch just CNN or some other totally biased program like Oprah or The View and take it for fact.

The fact is, as an independent, I see how blatantly biased towards democrats the huge majority of the media is and way too many people actually believe the lies. This is just another perfect example. The original poster posts some lies and half of you followup posters are believing it and thinking Palin is bad as a result. At least Foxrac tried doing the absolute minimum research by going to a blatantly liberal website and posting a link above. However, Foxrac and everyone else didn't even scroll to the bottom of the article to read the comments and check one or two of the links from posters in the comments section. The Huffington Post article is (as usual) blatant misinformation. Below are a couple links from the comments section of that article to a few much more reliable sources that confirm each other that Palin did in fact increase spending for special needs schooling dramatically (to triple the amount over the next 3 years). Of course I'll still rather see the actual budget documents but I'm really tired and it's way past my bedtime, so it'll have to wait until tomorrow.

That huffingtom post link again (scroll to bottom to read the comments and head closer to the truth):
Adrienne Williams: Palin Slashed "Special Schools" Funding In Alaska

Factcheck.org - Newsweek article:
Factcheck.org: Sliming Palin | Newsweek Politics: Campaign 2008 | Newsweek.com

Education Week article:
Education Week: Alaska Legislators Overhaul Funding

A snippet from the comments and more reliable articles:
A second part of the measure raises spending for students with special needs to $73,840 in fiscal 2011, from the current $26,900 per student in fiscal 2008, according to the Alaska Department of Education and Early Development.

Unlike many other states, Alaska has relatively flush budget coffers, thanks to a rise in oil and gas revenues. Funding for schools will remain fairly level next year, however. Overall per-pupil funding across the state will rise by $100, to $5,480, in fiscal 2009. Total K-12 funding will rise to $1.2 billion from $1.1 billion, when transportation, energy, and other state funds are included, according to estimates from the governor’s Office of Management and Budget.

The state also agreed to add another $216 million to fill in shortfalls in its teacher-retirement system, the budget office said.

The moral of this is don't believe the bullcrap. In this case, at least read the whole article, and the followups/comments to it, and check other articles. Be an educated voter!

I cannot agree with you more. It is unfortunately common for most Deaf people to be naive easily when any Deaf-related issues in politics are affected in negative or positive ways without double and triple checking claims and facts.

I created the FactCheck thread for everybody in the War/Politics subforum because I am getting tired of seeing both sides getting wrong ideas or twisting facts into negative perspectives. The Factcheck.org is very useful to rebuke any claims which are created and twisted by mainstream media, liberal and conservative bloggers and pundits about Obama, McCain, Biden, and/or Palin.

I cannot agree with you more. It is unfortunately common for most Deaf people to be naive easily when any Deaf-related issues in politics are affected in negative or positive ways without double and triple checking claims and facts.

I created the FactCheck thread for everybody in the War/Politics subforum because I am getting tired of seeing both sides getting wrong ideas or twisting facts into negative perspectives. The Factcheck.org is very useful to rebuke any claims which are created and twisted by mainstream media, liberal and conservative bloggers and pundits about Obama, McCain, Biden, and/or Palin.
Yeah, I have noticed this in the deaf community. Do you have direct link to the FactCheck site that you created?

Back