Ahmadinejad Wins Iranian Vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loghead

Reaction score
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was re-elected as Iran's president on Saturday, winning 62.6 per cent of the vote, while his rival Mir Hossein Mousavi denounced the victory as a "dangerous charade."

Mousavi, who was Ahmadinejad's closest rival, took 33.75 per cent of the vote in the contest that appeared to divide urban against rural voters.

Following news of the election win, Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei — who has final say on all state matters — thanked the people for their record 85 per cent participation and warned opposition candidates to avoid what he described as "provocative" behaviour.

"The chosen and respected president is the president of all the Iranian nation," Khamenei said in a statement read on state television, adding that all Iranians "must unanimously support and help him."

Still, Mousavi, who is Iran's former prime minister, was not yet conceding defeat, and claimed voting irregularities.

"I'm warning I will not surrender to this dangerous charade. The result of such performance by some officials will jeopardize the pillars of the Islamic republic and will establish tyranny," Mousavi said in a statement to Reuters.

"There are going to be some pretty difficult days ahead," the CBC's Nahlah Ayed reported from Tehran on Saturday.

"It's a very tense city right now," she said, adding that police were in the streets wearing riot gear.

"Last night and also today there were clashes," Ayed said.

Demonstrators were seen in Tehran wearing Mousavi's trademark green colour and chanting. As well, there were reports that protesters had set fire to tires outside the Interior Ministry in the city.

Witnesses told The Associated Press that a commercial bank elsewhere in the capital had been set on fire.

More than 470 people had sought to join the presidential race, but only Ahmadinejad and three rivals were cleared.

The rowdy campaign reached a crescendo in the past few days with duelling rallies by supporters of Ahmadinejad and Mousavi that drew tens of thousands into the streets of Tehran.

Ahmadinejad maintained broad support among rural and working poor voters, while Mousavi took much of the middle-class and urban vote.

The newly elected president will serve a four-year term.

Tensions mount in Tehran after Ahmadinejad win in presidential vote

All I can say is: Great, four more years of this nutcase. :roll: He's definitely not good for middle-east relations with western hemispheric nations, primarily the United States. He's also a bit mental. :|

More than a bit crazy I think. He's scary.

And watch the consequences of electing a looney bin and how one man can easily ruin/destroy his own country.

that election was rigged

obvious.jpg

Fuck to Ahmadinejad, I hope that both of him and supreme leader will oust by military coup if economy or political has been damage in Iran.

I rather to see Iran to have shah rule, great relation with US in before 1979.

Even if Ahmadinejad won the election, I still believe he should be kicked out.

Democracy is not always right.

Even if Ahmadinejad won the election, I still believe he should be kicked out.

Democracy is not always right.

Especially when it has been forced on a culture totally unprepared to deal with it.

Especially when it has been forced on a culture totally unprepared to deal with it.

Agree. Most countries have different ways of "democracy". The US model don't look like democracy compared to some other countries and vice versa. Forcing a way of rule into another country seems to often just destroy it.

Fuck to Ahmadinejad, I hope that both of him and supreme leader will oust by military coup if economy or political has been damage in Iran.

I rather to see Iran to have shah rule, great relation with US in before 1979.

If the shah rule had continued, it would turn into a extremely brutal Saddam-Iraq environment. Both the Shah rule in Iran and Saddam Hussein in Iraq was dictators put in action by americans. The difference between Iraq and Iran is that Iran got rid of the shah before it became too brutal.

The result is that Iran had to suffer with a brutal shia goverment instead, but it is paying off now with Iran slowly opening up as an indepedent nation, while Iraq is wasted.

It's obvious that it have payed off massively for Iran to say "fuck to america"...

If the shah rule had continued, it would turn into a extremely brutal Saddam-Iraq environment. Both the Shah rule in Iran and Saddam Hussein in Iraq was dictators put in action by americans. The difference between Iraq and Iran is that Iran got rid of the shah before it became too brutal.

The result is that Iran had to suffer with a brutal shia goverment instead, but it is paying off now with Iran slowly opening up as an indepedent nation, while Iraq is wasted.

It's obvious that it have payed off massively for Iran to say "fuck to america"...

No, the current Iranian government, such as supreme leader is far more brutal than shah rule, Iran has always been in authoritarian rule but shah is more loosen on religious law, such as women has choice to wear hijab or not but in after 1979, all women are required to wear hijab as religious law got more tighten.

Iran has less execution in prior to 1979 but after 1979 is alot worse now, gay rights in during shah rule is tolerant but current government is extreme intolerant, it means you can get hanging on public, that how so brutal with current government. Iran was secular state during shah rule too.

I would rather to have life during shah rule over current government, you got more rights (such as wear shorts or not wear hijab, gay lifestyle) and be behave yourself when come with government, Iran has never been freedom country.

US and Iran was great relation during shah rule but Iraq isn't.

Not all Iranians, or Persians are anti-America, just some of them.

I believe that every Iranians are deserves to have full democracy and freedom, similar to US and I would like to rid of supreme leader and give the power to president and parliament with secure election, it shouldn't be cheat or rigged.

I believe that every Iranians are deserves to have full democracy and freedom, similar to US and I would like to rid of supreme leader and give the power to president and parliament with secure election, it shouldn't be cheat or rigged.

And risk getting a guy like Bush as commander? :cool2:

Sorry for trying to compare them. Bush is of course far more worse. He have contributed to 1 million deaths in Iraq since american invasion, and that's just one of many things he have done. Sick man, yeah.

How very ethnocentric of you.

Sorry for trying to compare them. Bush is of course far more worse. He have contributed to 1 million deaths in Iraq since american invasion, and that's just one of many things he have done. Sick man, yeah.

:laugh2:

And risk getting a guy like Bush as commander? :cool2:

Ahmadinejad IS WORST THAN Bush

Now bigger problem He demand that he want raise oil barrel price to $250 that what I heard last year so we see what he do now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back