Agression and Isolation

Getting back to the whole point of this thread, I'm ambivalent whether there is any correlation between isolation and aggressiveness. This is coming from a deaf perspective but not exclusive to it. It really depends on the person and their personality. Some people totally withdraw within themselves whereas others become very aggressive. You have a mix of personality types and how they cope with such isolation.

I know for myself growing up especially in my teen years, I withdrew into books which wasn't so bad since I'm a superb reader (even then) and I learned a lot. It "madeup" some what for my lack of social interaction. I wasn't one that needed much interaction anyway so I wasn't "deprived" in my mind. Plus, there was the mitigating factor that I could speak quite well and hear decently with my HA.

Getting back to the whole point of this thread, I'm ambivalent whether there is any correlation between isolation and aggressiveness. This is coming from a deaf perspective but not exclusive to it. It really depends on the person and their personality. Some people totally withdraw within themselves whereas others become very aggressive. You have a mix of personality types and how they cope with such isolation.

I know for myself growing up especially in my teen years, I withdrew into books which wasn't so bad since I'm a superb reader (even then) and I learned a lot. It "madeup" some what for my lack of social interaction. I wasn't one that needed much interaction anyway so I wasn't "deprived" in my mind. Plus, there was the mitigating factor that I could speak quite well and hear decently with my HA.

I agree that personality type has quite a bit of influence on the way one reacts. There are, however, some correlational studies that show a positive correlation between isolation and agressiveness. I've reviewed these studies as they relate to the deaf specifically, and to communication disorders in general. I'll be glad to refer you to some of this research if you'd like.

I agree that personality type has quite a bit of influence on the way one reacts. There are, however, some correlational studies that show a positive correlation between isolation and agressiveness. I've reviewed these studies as they relate to the deaf specifically, and to communication disorders in general. I'll be glad to refer you to some of this research if you'd like.

Please do. A link or whatever will do fine.

Thanks...

Please do. A link or whatever will do fine.

Thanks...

It's unfortunate, but true that the behavioral studies have linked isolation to agression.

It's a simple matter of not being exclusive to any community or group.
It's in hearies, Deafies, MR, autistic and then some.

Even husband and wives argue and the situationis esclated because one side can't properly communicate thier position to the other side.
Lack of communication is a serious issue.
Effective communication is one of the most important things for humanity.

When we communicate, there are few limits as to our abilities.

I used to be a skeptic, until I began working with these kids.

The isolation and rejection become worse in middle school/high school years.

Oh Yes!! The middle schoolers aren't as bad, but once they enter high school it gets even worse.
Then some people treate them as if they're retarded - this only serves to further isolate and frustrate them. Then when you try and stop the progress, they rebel and often times the parents are even more to blame for not assisting in their Deaf development (educationally)

Given the subject line and the tenor of the thread, it sounds like it would be the kids without CIs.

Getting back to the thread...

I think Jillio hit the proverbal nail on the head about these deaf kids of hearing parents being frustrated and thus having problems emotionally and socially. That makes a whole lot of sense to me. Obviously, it is not all situations are like this as there are some hearing families that can handle the communication aspects appropriately.

I don't want anyone to misunderstand me: This isn't only a Deaf problem.
This is a problem for ALL people and kids.

Lack of communication creates problems. Lack of parental involvement created serious problems. This is the problems facing our educational staff these days.
It's like a plague.

I just concentrate on the Deaf side because this is where I'm heaging with my certifications and education.
I see this as a necessity in serious jeopardy. ASL isn't that hard to learn, but too many just pass it off.

I had to correct a few teachers that ASL isn't everywhere, it's AMERICAN.
They weren't aware that most countries have their own sign language.

Fact of the matter is that even deaf-of-deafs who function in the hearing world feel these limitations. It's frustrating.

I recently dropped in for a day in a Calculus II taught in ASL. I have to say I have never felt so included in my entire life. Living in the hearing world is rough. Kudos to all of you who manage day in and day out.

Oh, do send! I can find so much use for them . . .

Fact of the matter is that even deaf-of-deafs who function in the hearing world feel these limitations. It's frustrating.

I recently dropped in for a day in a Calculus II taught in ASL. I have to say I have never felt so included in my entire life. Living in the hearing world is rough. Kudos to all of you who manage day in and day out.

This is one reason I became interested in Deaf education.

I communicate very well. I read body language, I understand facial expressions, and I understand certain uncontrollable things like adams apple fluctuations in people, as a reaction that they can't control but is a direct indicator of certain feelings.
In other words, communications is a key interest for me, and communication relates directly to EVERYTHING in life.
The better we communicate, the more powerful we are to ourselves and those around us.
So, for the Deaf community this has significant impact as it does with mental retarded and autistic children.
When we communicate - we can accomplish more.

One thing I use as an example:

Many years ago I studied communications.
Now keep in mind I'm agnostic - not christian.

We used the King James bible.
In genesis, man built a tower to heaven in order to be closer to God.
God, being angry at what man had done, destroyed the tower and scattered man throughout the lands and changed his toungue.

Stating: Whatsoever man can imagine, man can do.
To me this says COMMUNICATION
If we can imagine something, and communicate effectively to one another we have no bounds.

God took away our ability to communicate.

One thing I use as an example:

Many years ago I studied communications.
Now keep in mind I'm agnostic - not christian.

We used the King James bible.
In genesis, man built a tower to heaven in order to be closer to God.
God, being angry at what man had done, destroyed the tower and scattered man throughout the lands and changed his toungue.

Stating: Whatsoever man can imagine, man can do.
To me this says COMMUNICATION
If we can imagine something, and communicate effectively to one another we have no bounds.

God took away our ability to communicate.

I don't suppose you understand what was God angry about and why he did that...do you? This link is a good starting point...The Tower of Babel Affair

He got point.....That s why God made different of languages.... He dont want us to behind than him.

M-:afro:

It's unfortunate, but true that the behavioral studies have linked isolation to agression.

It's a simple matter of not being exclusive to any community or group.
It's in hearies, Deafies, MR, autistic and then some.

Even husband and wives argue and the situationis esclated because one side can't properly communicate thier position to the other side.
Lack of communication is a serious issue.
Effective communication is one of the most important things for humanity.

When we communicate, there are few limits as to our abilities.

I used to be a skeptic, until I began working with these kids.

I'm glad you are recognizing the correlation. Our school systems need radical change to assist the se kids. Seeing the correlation is the first step.

I saw the same reaction from my son after having been mainstreamed, and the attending a school for the deaf in which all classes were in ASL when taught by a deaf instructor, and PSE when taught by a hearing instructor. It is truly amazing!

I don't suppose you understand what was God angry about and why he did that...do you? This link is a good starting point...The Tower of Babel Affair

I'm not here to discuss religion. Only communication.

The above example is ONLY for that purpose.
I fully comprehend the importance of communication and its role in behavioral sciences.

I also fully comprehend interpretations. The same thing in the bible can be viewed from multiple points of view other than religious points of view and have far greater value than the religious lessons taught. They teach about communication, language, history, poetry, literature, morals and ethics etc.

So, in the event I've not made myself clear - next time I'll use another example. One less powerful as to avoid the religious discussion.
I expected to have the meaning understood without someone trying to lead me to lessons on the bible.

I'm not here to discuss religion. Only communication.

The above example is ONLY for that purpose.
I fully comprehend the importance of communication and its role in behavioral sciences.

I also fully comprehend interpretations. The same thing in the bible can be viewed from multiple points of view other than religious points of view and have far greater value than the religious lessons taught. They teach about communication, language, history, poetry, literature, morals and ethics etc.

So, in the event I've not made myself clear - next time I'll use another example. One less powerful as to avoid the religious discussion.
I expected to have the meaning understood without someone trying to lead me to lessons on the bible.

Excuse me! :roll:

I was just pointing out the reason nothing more nothing less. I had no intention to get into a religious discussion. Do not use an example if you do not understand the background or take things "out of context". You cannot have your cake and eat it too! All I was doing was pointing out that the emperor had no clothes on and it is amazing to me how often this discombobuates a person.

FYI - Your example had nothing to do with communication "per se" but a consequence of disobedience. The fact that the conseqences were extremely powerful and dealt with communication is an interesting issue in of itself (sans the religious context for those so discomforted).

Now, we got that out of the way...carry on with the discussion.

I'm still waiting for some links or whatever to see the correlation between agression and isolation. I can concede that there may be some correlation but I have trouble with it as a "carte blanche" statement. Until the last 100 years or so, man has generally lived in a rural setting which begets either forced or self-imposed isolation. One didn't see mass aggression due to this.

In fact, I believe more and more disfunctional relationships between people is more of a result of societal pressures that exists currently. For example, people in NYC (any large city would serve the same purpose) would rather be inward than outward in relationships because there is too "many" people around. Man is not used to an urban environment and the more live in such a setting is only asking for trouble. I'm from DC (now live in NC) and I remember how one used to know one's neighbors. Well, those days have come and gone and one generally don't know your neighbors. Part of the why is because life is "so busy" but that isn't the main reason. The main reason is that people can be "entertained" at home and it is much easier to live that way than to deal with people (who have opinions and will disagree from time to time...). Man is a creature that needs relationships and the fact society is geared to avoiding them invites real problems. That ties in well with observed issues in agression and isolation. Heck, isolation can happen in the middle of a huge crowd which is truly ironic.

Here's some articles to start with:

American Annals of the Deaf.1990. Oct.; 135(4):316-321. The paly behavior of hearing impaired kindergarten children.

Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education.2005. 10(4):417-425. Violent offenders in a deaf prison population.

American Annals of the Deaf.2006. 151.1: 61-70. Deaf children and bullying.

Excuse me! :roll:

I was just pointing out the reason nothing more nothing less. I had no intention to get into a religious discussion. Do not use an example if you do not understand the background or take things "out of context". You cannot have your cake and eat it too! All I was doing was pointing out that the emperor had no clothes on and it is amazing to me how often this discombobuates a person.

FYI - Your example had nothing to do with communication "per se" but a consequence of disobedience. The fact that the conseqences were extremely powerful and dealt with communication is an interesting issue in of itself (sans the religious context for those so discomforted).

Now, we got that out of the way...carry on with the discussion.

I'm still waiting for some links or whatever to see the correlation between agression and isolation. I can concede that there may be some correlation but I have trouble with it as a "carte blanche" statement. Until the last 100 years or so, man has generally lived in a rural setting which begets either forced or self-imposed isolation. One didn't see mass aggression due to this.

In fact, I believe more and more disfunctional relationships between people is more of a result of societal pressures that exists currently. For example, people in NYC (any large city would serve the same purpose) would rather be inward than outward in relationships because there is too "many" people around. Man is not used to an urban environment and the more live in such a setting is only asking for trouble. I'm from DC (now live in NC) and I remember how one used to know one's neighbors. Well, those days have come and gone and one generally don't know your neighbors. Part of the why is because life is "so busy" but that isn't the main reason. The main reason is that people can be "entertained" at home and it is much easier to live that way than to deal with people (who have opinions and will disagree from time to time...). Man is a creature that needs relationships and the fact society is geared to avoiding them invites real problems. That ties in well with observed issues in agression and isolation. Heck, isolation can happen in the middle of a huge crowd which is truly ironic.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.
However, I think we will agree on the consequences of isolation and how it works.

This is my interest. Trying to promote healthy communications.

Back