Agression and Isolation

eliotj

Reaction score
Ok, I'd like to see people's input to this.

We all know that it's a hearing world. We also know that this causes the Deaf people to have less of an interaction than a hearie.

Deaf kids have less to choose from because they are more limited in their ability to communicate.

I've learned that, socially, this creates some problems. It becomes more and more apparent as the kids get to high school. They become more agressive towards the outside world.
The kids I speak of also have hearing parents that DO NOT sign. (super sad)

Has anyone else noticed these things?
How do you handle them?
What happens to these types when they exit high school and enter the "real" world?

Your experiences? Opinions?

Ok, I'd like to see people's input to this.

We all know that it's a hearing world. We also know that this causes the Deaf people to have less of an interaction than a hearie.

Deaf kids have less to choose from because they are more limited in their ability to communicate.

I've learned that, socially, this creates some problems. It becomes more and more apparent as the kids get to high school. They become more agressive towards the outside world.
The kids I speak of also have hearing parents that DO NOT sign. (super sad)

Has anyone else noticed these things?
How do you handle them?
What happens to these types when they exit high school and enter the "real" world?

Your experiences? Opinions?

Mental health professionals deal with this on a daily basis. Unfortunately, most don't recognize the true cause of the agression, and tend to diagnose it as an inherent part of the "deaf personality". There is no such thing as a "deaf personality" any more than there is a "hearing personality." And of course, not being able to communicate your needs to your family members would cause you to become angry and resentful.

We have noticed a pattern with deaf children of hearing families who do not sign show aggressiveness at the end of the school day before going home especially on Fridays. Perhaps they knew they were going home to be isolated?

We have noticed a pattern with deaf children of hearing families who do not sign show aggressiveness at the end of the school day before going home especially on Fridays. Perhaps they knew they were going home to be isolated?

I have begun working with special kids - autistic, MR and Deaf.
I noticed that they all display the same characteristics when they can't communicate.

The isolation and lack of communicative abilities frustrates them.

Umm, I understand what you aertryinmg to say, but all kids show aggressiveness at the end of the day. The are tired of being cooped up in school and want to go out to play. I deal with it every day in my current assignment.

I noticed that they all display the same characteristics when they can't communicate.

Exactly. Numerous studies have shown that deaf kids of deaf parents do not demonstrate the same type of or degree of aggressiveness that is exhibited by deaf kids of hearing parents. It is a frustration borne from a lack of mutual communication and understanding.

I need to know if anyone can point me to a product:

We have an autistic boy that signs some. He responded to my signs but not my commands, though he can hear fine.

I'd like some flash cards with basic signs. His level is about 4 years old.

I'd like to work with hin using the cards with pictures, the words and the sign. Most importantly is the sign and picture.
I'll be teaching him numbers in sign also.
He knows maybe 15 signs. Things like mom, dad, apple.
He's new to my unit starting next week and I'm not really certain of his level.

If anyone can point me to a place where I can get them I'd appreciate it.

Try signingtime.com they have incredible DVDs that are great. They also have soem flashcard products. Based on teh quality of the dvds, I would bet they have good flash cards.

Thanks.
I've ordered some flash cards.

This young man is autistic. This means he's most likely not going to sit for DVD's and Cd's etc.
Besides, our unit has no DVD player - though I hear one is coming.

Autistic children typically have a short attention span and when they're tired of it - that's it!
I ordered some sign cards for babies. Some basic signs which I think will really help.

Same here :(

I am not a child but have smilar communicatin problems and it makes me sad,depressed and frustrated at the end of the day.

Noticed you wrote "Deaf" with capital "D". These kids should be able to communicate using sign.
Are there deaf children with CI that have the same behaviour pattern?

It is very sad that this happens. My wife was in the same boat too. Her parents don't sign too well and her 2 sisters are just rude. Her brother is just a normal rude teen. Her younger 2 siblings try their best, but her parents try to put her down all the time. I think if a parent is hearing and their kids are deaf or HH, they should have to go through a class along with the kids. I am not deaf, but I have learned and I have forced my own kids to learn sign cause of mother. My wife don't need to be treated like that, and that includes all deaf. Just some parents need to lose their hearing to understand their kids sometimes, and I wish there was a way could do that to the parents for abt a week.

Now with that said, just have to find ways to get the deaf into a good deaf support groups. In some cities, it is hard to do that too. Now, my wife and I want our kids to go to school that teaches them both english and ASL. Since I am in Germany, then it will be German, and GSL.:fingersx:

Noticed you wrote "Deaf" with capital "D". These kids should be able to communicate using sign.
Are there deaf children with CI that have the same behaviour pattern?

Deaf is indicitive of the Deaf community, deaf just means lack of hearing ability.
I typically refer to the Deaf as just that, respectfully and as a group or community, not just a group of individuals that lack the ability to hear noises.

As for CI children, I have found that when a child receives a CI after having been unable to hear, it actually makes them less violent but seperates them from their peers.

The Deaf kids would think themselves inferior at this point and push the CI child away, which in turn would join the hearing kids in most activities.

Keep in mind, these are children in elementary. I have no experience to the same for middle and high schoolers.
The Deaf kids see the newly implanted child as "smarter", but in actuality it's emotional and no more.

Deaf is indicitive of the Deaf community, deaf just means lack of hearing ability.
I typically refer to the Deaf as just that, respectfully and as a group or community, not just a group of individuals that lack the ability to hear noises.

As for CI children, I have found that when a child receives a CI after having been unable to hear, it actually makes them less violent but seperates them from their peers.

The Deaf kids would think themselves inferior at this point and push the CI child away, which in turn would join the hearing kids in most activities.

Keep in mind, these are children in elementary. I have no experience to the same for middle and high schoolers.
The Deaf kids see the newly implanted child as "smarter", but in actuality it's emotional and no more.
I know the difference between d/Deaf. Just wanted to make sure it was not a typo....
But thanks for the info.
Interesting that that separation between Deaf and CI-children happens so soon. After all, a Deaf child that receives CI is still Deaf!!

The isolation and rejection become worse in middle school/high school years.

For whom? The kids without cis, those with cis or both?

Given the subject line and the tenor of the thread, it sounds like it would be the kids without CIs.

Getting back to the thread...

I think Jillio hit the proverbal nail on the head about these deaf kids of hearing parents being frustrated and thus having problems emotionally and socially. That makes a whole lot of sense to me. Obviously, it is not all situations are like this as there are some hearing families that can handle the communication aspects appropriately.

For both.

Ummm, there are very few kids (hearing or otherwise) who don't think they are isolated or rejected. Only those who are well adjusted don't feel that way. The rest fall into this category one way or another. Basically, this mirrors many of the societial issues we are facing today. Kind of a broad statement...not exclusively limited to those deaf with or without a CI.

Ummm, there are very few kids (hearing or otherwise) who don't think they are isolated or rejected. Only those who are well adjusted don't feel that way. The rest fall into this category one way or another. Basically, this mirrors many of the societial issues we are facing today. Kind of a broad statement...not exclusively limited to those deaf with or without a CI.

True, all kids experience this to some degree, especially as teenagers. I think we call it Teenaged anxt.
It is worse for the deaf child, though, as it is an extended period of time, and often lasts, to some degree, for a lifetime. And it does mirror many of the societal issues we face today. But that is true with any group that has faced discrimination and rejection based on a physical characteristic. In the mainstream society, however, the potential for permanent damage is far less.

Back