AGBell Body Snatchers

Trying to do a transcription here. This is a clip from the most recent hollywood remake of Body Snatchers, with fake subtitles. Actors are movie stars, but don't know their names:

Title is "AGBELL's Body Snatchers". Fadeaway.

Handsome man and woman walk on a street at night, several people, both civilians and military persons, are also walking in different directions.

Man and woman don't seem to be speaking in the beginning when subtitles are put up, so hard to say who is supposed to do the talk in the beginning. Following is what it looks like to me.

Man: Sh*t! More and more Deaf are giving up their souls to AGBELL!

Man: I think it's because of Deaf against Deaf. They were fighting about wether Deaf or ASL is better.

Man: Watch out! She may be one of those AGBELL's Body Snatchers.

They walk for a while.

Man: I hope she's ot one of them. She was our Deaf advocator for the Deaf community.

Camera swift. We see another handsome woman(woman2) appearing in the opposite direction. They all stop, facing each other.

They look at each other for a while. In the backgroun we see military veichiles passing.

Woman 2: Did you forget that you are deaf?

Man: There is no deaf existence here!

Man and woman start to walk, passes woman 2. Woman 2 turns around after man and woman.

Woman 2: Will you keep ASL only and throw away the word, "Deaf"?

Man: Hello no! I keep BOTH Deaf and ASL!

Man and woman continues to walk. Woman 2 stare at them for a while, then point her finger at them and start to scream loudly. Everyone on the street start to chase man and woman.

Fade into black. A cite is put up, staying there until the end of movie:
"We should try ourselves to forget that they are deaf. We should try to teach them to forget that they are deaf."
Alexander Graham Bell, 1884

These people are talking and not signing. Exactly what point is that making??
loml, that is AGB's aim, to obliterate any form of communication but oral and to deny that deafness exists. I thought that was fairly straight forward since the 1800's.

I can't understand the video because there is no sound. Is that the whole point? <confused>
Darn it, sorry again Hear Again, my bad.
and thanks for translation again Flip.

AGBell Body Snatchers!

Really like the sound of its word - just perfect words describing who the AGBad people are!

Deaf Rules!
I thought so too.

These people are talking and not signing. :roll: Exactly what point is that making??:cool2:

AGBad is famous for its views on sign language. Their goal is to eradicate ASL. :roll:

loml, that is AGB's aim, to obliterate any form of communication but oral and to deny that deafness exists. I thought that was fairly straight forward since the 1800's.

ASLGAL - This isn't the 1800's. :) Are you engaged in dialogue with anyone from AGBell to express your concerns/claim that: " AGB's aim, to obliterate any form of communication but oral and to deny that deafness exists."

ASLGAL - This isn't the 1800's. :) Are you engaged in dialogue with anyone from AGBell to express your concerns/claim that: " AGB's aim, to obliterate any form of communication but oral and to deny that deafness exists."

No, this isn't the 1800's. Seems like A.G. Bad would have realized that by now.:roll:

Dialogue with A.G. Bad is not possible. They do not accept input from the signing deaf community. Perhaps you have forgotten their protest of the Superbowl commercial based on nothing more than the fact that the commercial used signing deaf.

Perhaps you have forgotten their protest of the Superbowl commercial based on nothing more than the fact that the commercial used signing deaf.

I didn't know that. I find it ironic and sad how an organization who claims to advocate for those who use oral communication thinks nothing about discriminating against those who sign.

ASLGAL,

It's okay. I know it's easy to post a video and forget to include a description or translation. No worries. :)

I didn't know that. I find it ironic and sad how an organization who claims to advocate for those who use oral communication thinks nothing about discriminating against those who sign.

Now, u understand why the Deaf community have no respect for this organization.

ASLGAL - This isn't the 1800's. Are you engaged in dialogue with anyone from AGBell to express your concerns/claim that: " AGB's aim, to obliterate any form of communication but oral and to deny that deafness exists."
No, it isn't the 1800's but AGB was wrong then and they are still wrong today, they just stubbornly refuse to acknowlege the truth of TC and give up their goal of complete annihilation of D/deaf culture and ASL.

I have attempted to speak to AGB before, as have many others at AD, I'm sure.
The organization is not interested in anything but their own skewed view of what is correct and making people adhere to that view by any means necessary.

jillio stated it well
Dialogue with A.G. Bad is not possible. They do not accept input from the signing deaf community. Perhaps you have forgotten their protest of the Superbowl commercial based on nothing more than the fact that the commercial used signing deaf.

I find it ironic and sad how an organization who claims to advocate for those who use oral communication thinks nothing about discriminating against those who sign.
Yes, me too Hear Again.

Yes, me too Hear Again.

I may have CIs, but I can tell you that I will never join an organization like AGBell. As long as they continue to discriminate against those who sign, I want no part of it.

Now, u understand why the Deaf community have no respect for this organization.

Yes, I'm beginning to see that. I've read Deaf blogs in which people expressed strong feelings about AGBell, but I never understood why. Now I do.

i dont know much about AGBell but are they against deaf people who sign?

ASLGAL,

It's okay. I know it's easy to post a video and forget to include a description or translation. No worries. :)

I think it's unecessary to not put a transcription along with the clip at youtube, in the "info" section. This one have subtitles, and so do the one from DiGiBarb. I tried to transcribe the one from DiGiBarb, as it's just to retype whats in the clip, but ran out of time. Since she already have made a english text, it takes one second to put the same text in the "info" section on youtube.

I really don't have symphaty for deaf people who cringe about subtitles, while they don't make it easy for deafblinds with just one second of work.

Someone should perhaps make a note on deafread/deaftv about this? I don't have vlog/blog space. We have entered a new era of information, and just fighting for private agendas gets no one anywhere, we should fight for universal access to information for every human being. Like the lady in the transcription I made said: not letting people have access to information is a kind of abuse.

Ok, enough preaching :)

I think it's unecessary to not put a transcription along with the clip at youtube, in the "info" section. This one have subtitles, and so do the one from DiGiBarb. I tried to transcribe the one from DiGiBarb, as it's just to retype whats in the clip, but ran out of time. Since she already have made a english text, it takes one second to put the same text in the "info" section on youtube.

I really don't have symphaty for deaf people who cringe about subtitles, while they don't make it easy for deafblinds with just one second of work.

Someone should perhaps make a note on deafread/deaftv about this? I don't have vlog/blog space. We have entered a new era of information, and just fighting for private agendas gets no one anywhere, we should fight for universal access to information for every human being. Like the lady in the transcription I made said: not letting people have access to information is a kind of abuse.

Ok, enough preaching :)

:ty: flip. I agree on all counts. If it's that easy to include a transcript, I think Deaf people should be held to the same standard of accommodation that they expect from those who can hear.

I find it ironic and sad how an organization who claims to advocate for those who use oral communication thinks nothing about discriminating against those who sign.
I KNOW!!!!! They claim they're openminded b/c they allow 'terps at the conferences...and b/c they "promote" choice by reccomending a book called "Choices in Deafness" which they claim is unbiased.
Some of them are OK with speech first, and then ASL second. But others are old fashioned " speech chaunvists"
Most of AG Bell's members seem to take the view that ASL is something that's not really needed if speech is used.
If they had the view that speech was yet another tool in a communication toolbox, I'd support them.
Yet they are SPEECH CHAUNAVISTS, and they refuse to admit the downsides of speech, speech speech!

Alex G. B. "bodysnatchers" or "Bad" - like that......

I had known SOME things but not all....

I KNOW!!!!! They claim they're openminded b/c they allow 'terps at the conferences...and b/c they "promote" choice by reccomending a book called "Choices in Deafness" which they claim is unbiased.
Some of them are OK with speech first, and then ASL second. But others are old fashioned " speech chaunvists"
Most of AG Bell's members seem to take the view that ASL is something that's not really needed if speech is used.
If they had the view that speech was yet another tool in a communication toolbox, I'd support them.
Yet they are SPEECH CHAUNAVISTS, and they refuse to admit the downsides of speech, speech speech!

I agree. If AGBell looked at sign as another valid form of communication besides speech, I would have no problem with that.

However, when they place speech above and to the exclusion of sign, that I cannot agree with.

The thing that really irritates me is that they use their speech chaunvisim to create a "healthy normal" mentality. Like they push speech b/c the unspoken attitude is that ASL is "special needs and a "crutch"

Back