Against Cochlear Implants or Support it or what?

Mookie said:
If CI people does not understand what the teachers/professors saying, do they need the ASL interpeters?

There's the option of captioning. I used it even though I never read the captinons during class when I first switched to captioning. I read the notes afterwards.

Endymion said:
There's the option of captioning. I used it even though I never read the captinons during class when I first switched to captioning. I read the notes afterwards.

Could you please clear up what kind of captioning you mean? This is something that can be done in-class even for a live lecture, for instance?

I know I ask a lot of annoying questions, but since I'm looking to work in the compliance area of human resource management, I'd prefer not to show up as the ignorant office idiot. ;)

Sweetheart said:
...She said people who got CI in late age so its too late for people to understand people's talking so have to take them too LONG to understand people talk. I understand what she mean by that, I respect her to getting CI since she lose her hearing when she was around 4 years old.

That is generally true...which brings out my point the earlier the better for those really deaf. There is a window of opportunity in which a person really gets their speech abilities down pat. This points out my later statement about getting a CI early in life if one can't hear enough with a HA.

Sweetheart said:
But, my friends who got CI when they was young. Whoa, honestly I dont like that they got CI in early. I rather them to want it, not parents want it. Because, they got bad temper, everything like that. Also, my friend almost died from CI since someone accidently threw stuff, I forgot what it is and it hit on my friend's side where it have CI on and he end up got a mini seziure from that. I was very scared of that. Im sorry for telling, but I saw what happened and was like geez..

No offense, the world is HEARING and DEAF mixed. Not just Hearing. Deaf and Hearing mixed include, blind, retard, blah people. Thats what my opinion is. Sorry.

As for the first part, there is a psychological component that needs to be addressed along with the rest of the deal. Not all children react that way. Parents sometimes want something but don't follow up on the real committment that is required to make this work.

In respect to the second part, that is not in dispute but I rather was stating the obvious that the majority of opportunities in this world are in the hearing world. It was not a putdown over the rest.

I'm in favour of CIs for myself because I value my independence and really like having lots of options in life. I want to improve my work chances, want to be able to communicate with people off the cuff and do what I want. I fancied learning German in school so I did it and got a not bad grade too.

If I had a young child that was extremely deaf to the point of getting no benefit from hearing aids then I would have him or her assessed for cochlear implant. Why? Because there are many studies around which say the earlier the implant, the greater the benefit. If there was no difference, I would wait. However I don't feel that I would be taking his or choice away, I see it as giving him or her choices. If he or she wanted to turn it off when they were older, that would be fine with me.

The way I see it is that people in the same situation make different choices. One person will say "why did you do that to me as a baby?" while another may say "why didn't you give me the choice?" How do we know in advance how our child is going to feel? I feel for myself that I would be happier answering the first question in my conscience but the second question I would feel I couldn't turn the clock back and give them the choice back.

R2D2

Yes I support Cochlear Implants, since it does help many people be able to hear more than the use of hearing aids....

sr171soars said:
That is generally true...which brings out my point the earlier the better for those really deaf. There is a window of opportunity in which a person really gets their speech abilities down pat. This points out my later statement about getting a CI early in life if one can't hear enough with a HA.

Yeah, I do understand what you do mean by that. My best friend, Gabrielle explained me abt hearing and everything like that. I think its so awesome but for me, I dont want that. I want to see people to be happy with themselves. But, one thign I dont like that if people FORCE another people to get that if they really dont want to? you know what I mean?

sr171soars said:
As for the first part, there is a psychological component that needs to be addressed along with the rest of the deal. Not all children react that way. Parents sometimes want something but don't follow up on the real committment that is required to make this work.

In respect to the second part, that is not in dispute but I rather was stating the obvious that the majority of opportunities in this world are in the hearing world. It was not a putdown over the rest.

Oh well. I guess our opinions are different. But thats alright, I like to hearing people's opinions abt this sitituation and such like that. Thank you for telling me your opinion! :thumb:

^Angel^ said:
Yes I support Cochlear Implants, since it does help many people be able to hear more than the use of hearing aids....

Thats cool that you support CI. But out of curious, do you want to getting CI? If you do then you will have my support :thumb:

I get tired of hearing a few people bashing me for having a CI.
But you must admit that the bashers are shrinking in numbers. When I first started posting to dhh boards, the anti-CI feeling was VERY extreme.....now it's died down.

Sweetheart said:
Thats cool that you support CI. But out of curious, do you want to getting CI? If you do then you will have my support :thumb:

Yes I do but I had tests done years ago, and was told it wouldn't work for me...I haven't went to another doctor to get a second opinion....

Now, I dunno if I want to go and get tests again, part of me feel a bit scared, I think I'll stick with my hearing aids that I have....

But thank you sweetie :hug:

^Angel^ said:
Yes I do but I had tests done years ago, and was told it wouldn't work for me...I haven't went to another doctor to get a second opinion....

Now, I dunno if I want to go and get tests again, part of me feel a bit scared, I think I'll stick with my hearing aids that I have....

But thank you sweetie :hug:

Ohh thats suck. Honestly, I wanted to have a CI when I dated with a hearing guy. But too afraid to taking the risky because of doctor told my mom once that if I get ci surgery so I will become retard. I just decided to not take that risky also I dont know how to talking or read people's lips, ONLY with my own family and my dog since they do understand. :|

Awww, I do understand how you feeling. If you want to get CI and need our support and pray and everything like that, then ask us! :hug:

Your welcome :hug:

Sweetheart said:
But, my best friend Gabrielle got her CI when she was 16 yrs old so it means around 5 years ago, she said that she can hear good same like, door bell, phone ring, etc like that. But can she understand the sentence when people talk abt? No, she cannot understand them because its fact. Doctor told her that and she told me and I was like really? She said people who got CI in late age so its too late for people to understand people's talking so have to take them too LONG to understand people talk. I understand what she mean by that, I respect her to getting CI since she lose her hearing when she was around 4 years old.

It's Parent's decision to wait till their deaf child (around 4 to 18) to let them know they want the CI op, the result is useless.

To have it CI done on infant babies, the result is much better :)

Once again its parent's choice.

Tamara said:
It's Parent's decision to wait till their deaf child (around 4 to 18) to let them know they want the CI op, the result is useless.

To have it CI done on infant babies, the result is much better :)

Once again its parent's choice.

I know but I have MANY friends who got Ci when they was less than 4 years old. They have bad relationship with their own family because of CI. They agure alot, fight, bad attiudent, etc like that. I was like yikes... *shrug* I wouldnt complain at parents if they get their own kids to getting CI without wait, I wouldnt be happy of course but complain at their faces, nope. I will ask them why they do that and when they tell me why then I will respect that and being back off abt that. Sicne they arent my kids, you know?

Sweetheart said:
Ohh thats suck. Honestly, I wanted to have a CI when I dated with a hearing guy. But too afraid to taking the risky because of doctor told my mom once that if I get ci surgery so I will become retard. I just decided to not take that risky also I dont know how to talking or read people's lips, ONLY with my own family and my dog since they do understand

Oh yeah I can understand that Sweetheart! :hug: and thank you for being kind too ;)

Tamara said:
To have it CI done on infant babies

:Ohno:

Sweetheart said:
I know but I have MANY friends who got Ci when they was less than 4 years old. They have bad relationship with their own family because of CI. They agure alot, fight, bad attiudent, etc like that. I was like yikes... *shrug* I wouldnt complain at parents if they get their own kids to getting CI without wait, I wouldnt be happy of course but complain at their faces, nope. I will ask them why they do that and when they tell me why then I will respect that and being back off abt that. Sicne they arent my kids, you know?

I believe its from deaf miliants teasing them, if its up to me, I would put my deaf CI child into hearing schools for safety reasons.

Tamara said:
I believe its from deaf miliants teasing them, if its up to me, I would put my deaf CI child into hearing schools for safety reasons.

Honestly, I entered in Deaf School before them. They didnt enter in my deaf school, they went to hearing school then finally enter deaf school and we understood abt their CIs. its not bother us. So, whats your answer for this?

Sweetheart said:
Honestly, I entered in Deaf School before them. They didnt enter in my deaf school, they went to hearing school then finally enter deaf school and we understood abt their CIs. its not bother us. So, whats your answer for this?
They found a right deaf school to respect CIs nowadays :)

Tamara - No more posting in this thread to respect everyone's choice, I will read this thread but I won't be back to reply. :)
Lemme out of here fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tamara said:
They found a right deaf school to respect CIs nowadays :)

Tamara - No more posting in this thread to respect everyone's choice, I will read this thread but I won't be back to reply. :)
Lemme out of here fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah I agreed.

Oh lol, sure but you can reply if you want to. :thumb:

Why is this thread created to debate more further on this issue while there is old thread sitting waiting to be breathed back to life? I suggest this thread be merged with other old for or against ci threads.

Back