Against Cochlear Implants or Support it or what?

WhisperHorse

Reaction score
Im curious abt your opinions abt Cochlear Implants. Do you against it or support it or neutral?

My opinion:

I do support Cochlear Implants if people want it, I dont mind. But I do against it if people FORCE another people. I dont like people force another people to getting Cochlear implants if they dont want it. But, I know its not my business. I do respect people with cochlear implants. Im sort of neutral with it.

So dicussion abt it! ;)

Having a BTE hearing aid and seeing how much I like to hear things... I can understand if someone wants a CI ... by all means go for it. I respect that. I am not like one of those Deaf militants. I still say the best hearing aid is through the miracle of the Lord Jesus Christ's praying hands. God Bless !!! :angel:

Heath said:
Having a BTE hearing aid and seeing how much I like to hear things... I can understand if someone wants a CI ... by all means go for it. I respect that. I am not like one of those Deaf militants. I still say the best hearing aid is through the miracle of the Lord Jesus Christ's praying hands. God Bless !!! :angel:

But, God gave us the gift is become deaf for good reason. I dont know what it is. We will find out in the future or whatever like that to know why we are deaf in our life. But CI isnt bother me at all, its people's choose but if I want to have it, I dont want that since its too risky for me. If I take surgery for CI and I will become retard since doctor said that to my mom when I was around 4 years old, Im not sure how old I was. Im too afraid to take that risk. I accept that Im deaf and Im very proud to being deaf too.

Sweetheart said:
But, God gave us the gift is become deaf for good reason. I dont know what it is. We will find out in the future or whatever like that to know why we are deaf in our life. But CI isnt bother me at all, its people's choose but if I want to have it, I dont want that since its too risky for me. If I take surgery for CI and I will become retard since doctor said that to my mom when I was around 4 years old, Im not sure how old I was. Im too afraid to take that risk. I accept that Im deaf and Im very proud to being deaf too.

Yes Sweetheart, you are right God did give us to be Deaf and God also can have Jesus Christ heal us. I am proud to be Deaf too and there is nothing wrong with asking God to have Jesus Christ heal me from time to time in prayer and fastings. You never know God may just grant you that blessing of a miracle.:angel:

( 4 Deaf verses in the Holy Bible )

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=exodus 4:11&version=9
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=leviticus 19:14;&version=9;
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=mark 7:31-37;&version=9;
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=mark 9:16-29;&version=9;

Yes, I'm with you all. I support human's decision for CI. I'm not for it when the parents get their babies/toddler to CI surgery because they didn't know what their babies/toddlers wants. I rather wait until my children are oldest to understand their decision what they want CI or not then I'll be happy to fulfilling their wishes.

I don't like people push other people to CI surgery... It disgust me total... I beleive that it's human's decision, not push human's decision.

This is not an original thread but once again, I'm totally for them. I have one myself (last March). It has been great and I can hear well enough again to do things I couldn't do well for a long time if ever. I hear they are working on a new "array" that will be even better than the current one like I have. Something about gobs more simulus points to make hearing even more realistic...um...I will have to see how that goes. :thumb:

Liebling - I understand your viewpoint. However, there is a window of opportunity (first seven years) with children that really needs to be considered to have possibly the best outcome. We can deny it and wish it away but it is there. Children are in no way prepared to make any decision like that young. I always maintained that if they rather not use the CI later on, they don't have to use it. At least, they can't accuse me of not giving them the chance. As a parent of two (who are normal hearing), it is my job to give my kids all the opportunity to intergrate with the wider world. This is where I diverge from the deaf community...the world is hearing not deaf.

i am against this.. but i accpet if my friends wanna CI then i am happy for them. :)

i think it depends on if you are born with no hearing whatsoever or if you can hear a little but are gradually losing it. i think if you can hear a little, you might want to get the implant. if you never heard anything before, i think its totally wrong to get the implant. if you decide to get it then it would be totally okay.

Me, I am neutral on CI. I just think they should be a little bit stricter when it comes to eligibilty, especially for kids. I've heard of kids who get a TON of benifit from hearing aids being implanted. Like they can hear 60% WITH hearing aids! There's nothing wrong with implanting kids who get very little benifit from hearing aids (like they can hear less then 50% with aids)
I think also that psycological tests should be mandatory. Some people are getting it b/c it's the newest trendiest thing or for the wrong reasons.
Also think that if insurance doesn't fully cover the device, or if a hospital has to dig into its indigent care fund, to cover the device (and YES, this does happen) that the person should somehow pay the hoispital back.
I'm sorry.......but the CI is EXPENSIVE. Why the hell should I pay more in insurance premiumns and taxes (for Medicaid) just b/c someone feels like they could do better with a CI, then with traditional aids?

I'm not against CIs. I'm against the concept of people using it for the wrong purposes.

It's like guns. "Guns don't kill people. People kill people."

With CIs... "CIs don't change people. People change themselves."

I know a lot of people who have CIs. Some change and some don't. Those who changed have changed for worse. Originally, they were deaf people who had deaf and hearing friends... used sign language... respected everyone from different cultures... etc. Some got CIs and stayed the same. Some got CIs and changed. Those who changed... talked less to deaf people (or no deaf people)... hardly signed (or not at all)... and hung out with only hearing people. They changed and became different people. That's like "cool" kids hanging out with "cool" people and not the "geeks" and "losers"... in high school.

Heath said:
Yes Sweetheart, you are right God did give us to be Deaf and God also can have Jesus Christ heal us. I am proud to be Deaf too and there is nothing wrong with asking God to have Jesus Christ heal me from time to time in prayer and fastings. You never know God may just grant you that blessing of a miracle.:angel:

( 4 Deaf verses in the Holy Bible )

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=exodus 4:11&version=9
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=leviticus 19:14;&version=9;
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=mark 7:31-37;&version=9;
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=mark 9:16-29;&version=9;

Yeah, I agreed with you. But thats cool to being deaf becuase we dont have to hear naughty stuffs, lol.

Liebling:-))) said:
Yes, I'm with you all. I support human's decision for CI. I'm not for it when the parents get their babies/toddler to CI surgery because they didn't know what their babies/toddlers wants. I rather wait until my children are oldest to understand their decision what they want CI or not then I'll be happy to fulfilling their wishes.

I don't like people push other people to CI surgery... It disgust me total... I beleive that it's human's decision, not push human's decision.

Thats what I plan if I get deaf kids, I will let them become older and seeing what they want to getting CI or not. I will support them no matter what it is.

I do understand, same me. It digust me total too. I agreed with you, I believe that its human's decision, not push human's decision.

sr171soars said:
This is not an original thread but once again, I'm totally for them. I have one myself (last March). It has been great and I can hear well enough again to do things I couldn't do well for a long time if ever. I hear they are working on a new "array" that will be even better than the current one like I have. Something about gobs more simulus points to make hearing even more realistic...um...I will have to see how that goes. :thumb:

But, my best friend Gabrielle got her CI when she was 16 yrs old so it means around 5 years ago, she said that she can hear good same like, door bell, phone ring, etc like that. But can she understand the sentence when people talk abt? No, she cannot understand them because its fact. Doctor told her that and she told me and I was like really? She said people who got CI in late age so its too late for people to understand people's talking so have to take them too LONG to understand people talk. I understand what she mean by that, I respect her to getting CI since she lose her hearing when she was around 4 years old.

sr171soars said:
Liebling - I understand your viewpoint. However, there is a window of opportunity (first seven years) with children that really needs to be considered to have possibly the best outcome. We can deny it and wish it away but it is there. Children are in no way prepared to make any decision like that young. I always maintained that if they rather not use the CI later on, they don't have to use it. At least, they can't accuse me of not giving them the chance. As a parent of two (who are normal hearing), it is my job to give my kids all the opportunity to intergrate with the wider world. This is where I diverge from the deaf community...the world is hearing not deaf.

But, my friends who got CI when they was young. Whoa, honestly I dont like that they got CI in early. I rather them to want it, not parents want it. Because, they got bad temper, everything like that. Also, my friend almost died from CI since someone accidently threw stuff, I forgot what it is and it hit on my friend's side where it have CI on and he end up got a mini seziure from that. I was very scared of that. Im sorry for telling, but I saw what happened and was like geez.. No offense, the world is HEARING and DEAF mixed. Not just Hearing. Deaf and Hearing mixed include, blind, retard, blah people. Thats what my opinion is. Sorry.

deafdyke said:
Me, I am neutral on CI. I just think they should be a little bit stricter when it comes to eligibilty, especially for kids. I've heard of kids who get a TON of benifit from hearing aids being implanted. Like they can hear 60% WITH hearing aids! There's nothing wrong with implanting kids who get very little benifit from hearing aids (like they can hear less then 50% with aids)
I think also that psycological tests should be mandatory. Some people are getting it b/c it's the newest trendiest thing or for the wrong reasons.
Also think that if insurance doesn't fully cover the device, or if a hospital has to dig into its indigent care fund, to cover the device (and YES, this does happen) that the person should somehow pay the hoispital back.
I'm sorry.......but the CI is EXPENSIVE. Why the hell should I pay more in insurance premiumns and taxes (for Medicaid) just b/c someone feels like they could do better with a CI, then with traditional aids?

I do understand how you feeling, Im sort of agreed with you. I knew CI is EXPENSIVE. Whoa.

VamPyroX said:
I'm not against CIs. I'm against the concept of people using it for the wrong purposes.

I know a lot of people who have CIs. Some change and some don't. Those who changed have changed for worse. Originally, they were deaf people who had deaf and hearing friends... used sign language... respected everyone from different cultures... etc. Some got CIs and stayed the same. Some got CIs and changed. Those who changed... talked less to deaf people (or no deaf people)... hardly signed (or not at all)... and hung out with only hearing people. They changed and became different people. That's like "cool" kids hanging out with "cool" people and not the "geeks" and "losers"... in high school.

I agreed with you. Yeah, I saw some of them changed to bad, some of them changed to good, some of them dont changed. It would insult me if my best friend, Gabrielle decide to hang out with hearing friends instead of me and deaf people. But Im glad that she didnt do that since she knew Im her best friend for almost 19 years and she dont want to lose me like that. Geez. Thats crazy

I got a CI over a year and half ago. Frankly I dont care what others think of me having a CI. It is my personal choice. I get tired of hearing a few people bashing me for having a CI.

I do my best not to participate or discuss about pros/cons of CI s with people because it is always controversial.

If CI people does not understand what the teachers/professors saying, do they need the ASL interpeters?

VamPyroX said:

EXCALTY! that what i talk abt it...

Back