AG Bell's Right to Advocate Oralism Only?

Refusing to be covered under an IEP would not be in anyone's best interest, because it will require an IEP to have her transferred to MSSD from the public system. However, refusing to sign an IEP that she feels does not address her needs is wahr provides that option for bargaining. Once the IEP has been written and accommodations reccommended, she,as a 16 year old, definately has the right to refuse to sign, and to offer services that she feels would be more appropriate to meet her needs. That is why I reccommended that she have an advocate with her for the meeting, as it will be necessary for her to demonstrate why the services she requests are more able to meet her needs than the ones that the school system is reccommending. That is where the advocacy comes in.

The school system has yet to provide her with an IEP, despite documentation of a disability. That puts them out of compliance with both state and federal guidelines. They are already standing onshaky ground, which strengthens her position for bargaining. However, school officials can be patronizing and manipulative at best, and downright bullying at the worst. If her parents are not recognizing her needs, and are not doing what is necessary to protect her educational rights, then I suggest that she seek out that support from those who are willing to do so.

Hey shel, could you please PM me and explain to me more how I'd do that? I've been reading up on it, but I still don't entirely understand how everything works.

Thanks,
m-m

Refusing to be covered under an IEP would not be in anyone's best interest, because it will require an IEP to have her transferred to MSSD from the public system. However, refusing to sign an IEP that she feels does not address her needs is wahr provides that option for bargaining. Once the IEP has been written and accommodations reccommended, she,as a 16 year old, definately has the right to refuse to sign, and to offer services that she feels would be more appropriate to meet her needs. That is why I reccommended that she have an advocate with her for the meeting, as it will be necessary for her to demonstrate why the services she requests are more able to meet her needs than the ones that the school system is reccommending. That is where the advocacy comes in.

The school system has yet to provide her with an IEP, despite documentation of a disability. That puts them out of compliance with both state and federal guidelines. They are already standing onshaky ground, which strengthens her position for bargaining. However, school officials can be patronizing and manipulative at best, and downright bullying at the worst. If her parents are not recognizing her needs, and are not doing what is necessary to protect her educational rights, then I suggest that she seek out that support from those who are willing to do so.

Very good; hey, MM, please make a copy of this post and start a file....

Sadly only 10 per cent of blind people know braille. I don't know what the stastics are for the UK but I should think they are about the same. It the moment I am working on ceramic braille. I incorperate Braille on to some of my pottery. I went to this coffee morning for blind and partially sighted people. I asked them how many of them new braille so they could read the message on my pot but nobody in that group could read braille at all.

For those that are interested the message said: "Blind and able. Release yourself with Rehab" and their was a blind person walking round the rim of the pot with their long cane.

I like the idea of incorperate Braillie in the pottery. I remember the tv program saying that a blind person who doesn't know Braillie might have a hard time finding a job. I google it and found a link - Your Child's Right to Read This one talked about IEP (I'm beginning to hate this word IEP) which determined if the blind child need to read Braillie or not depending on how much the child can see. I wonder why not teach them Braillie anyway so they can rest their eyes while reading.

In keeping with this thread, I don't think AG Bell has the right to advocate oralism only. I think the deaf education should be run by the Deaf people. The blind education should be run by the blind people. The hearing people have a tendency to foul things up for the minority population. The hearing people already have this preconcept of the deaf people which is not so good and would decide on the level of the education for the deaf. The Deaf people don't have this preconcept and would see that the level of the education is on the par or maybe better than the hearing education. Ditto for the blind. The blind people do have a history of unemployment. I remember seeing a blind man with a tin can when I was little.
Jillio was telling us about my alma mater, St. Rita and that they have a program where they take deaf kids to meet with hearing kids from a certain school. That sounds good. Alot better than mainstreaming the deaf kids which is the most restrictive setting for their education. I see the deaf schools are the best thing for the deaf kids and mingling them with hearing kids after school is not a bad idea for recreation.

Jillio was telling us about my alma mater, St. Rita and that they have a program where they take deaf kids to meet with hearing kids from a certain school. That sounds good. Alot better than mainstreaming the deaf kids which is the most restrictive setting for their education. I see the deaf schools are the best thing for the deaf kids and mingling them with hearing kids after school is not a bad idea for recreation.

That's not so difficult. Why don't more people think this way? Grrrrr.

That's not so difficult. Why don't more people think this way? Grrrrr.

St. Rita is very progressive, and they see their students needs from a holistic perspective. More deaf schools would do well to follow their lead.

the_rock_gif.gif

How come you start digging up old post on here? It was old back in 2007. :roll:

Are you telling both members and non-members how important we need ASL instead of Oralism only in mainstream schools, even Deaf schools, too?

It does not always work with mainstreaming with hearing students when it comes with trying to communicate or being involve in the classrooms with hearing students.

Remember we watch "Switched At Birth", Carlson High School had both d/Deaf and hearing students but most often Deaf students want to have full access to ASL in the school. There were conflict among the students. The Board of Education don't want only Deaf students but would rather have hearing students along with Deaf students because of the money situation. Yeah, right (sarcasm). So is that why we have Deaf schools close because of the money situations? Why can the government pay for the Deaf schools so we can continue to have ASL in our classrooms? What about Catholic private schools which was not paid by the government but the parents had to foot the bill to pay for their children to get religion and regular classes? I think the government should pay all kinds of schools including for Deaf and Blind schools.

I really hate to see Deaf schools including the Blind being close up like that. :(

Back