AG Bell's Right to Advocate Oralism Only?

That's free speech.

But I agree with that guy. Are we going to be taking away guide dogs from the blind next? :pissed:

I wear black every day. :giggle:

Nah, we'll let 'em keep their dogs, but we are going to surgically implant ear plugs so they can't supplement with their hearing and make them use their residual sight. And while we're at it, maybe it would be a good idea to take braille away fromthem and teach them to read using their residual sight.

JK, people! But it makes as much sense as denying sign to the deaf.

Nah, we'll let 'em keep their dogs, but we are going to surgically implant ear plugs so they can't supplement with their hearing and make them use their residual sight. And while we're at it, maybe it would be a good idea to take braille away fromthem and teach them to read using their residual sight.

:rofl: Nice.

And while we're at it, maybe it would be a good idea to take braille away fromthem and teach them to read using their residual sight.
That DOES happen believe it or not. The focus in blind ed is teaching kids how to use their residual vision. My best friend went to Perkins School for the Blind and he didn't even get to learn Braille! LOL.......speaking of which he just signed on!
It's basicly the hyperfocus on making them seem *not disabled* "Oh if they don't have to use "speshal" methods, they're not going to really be disabled."
I have no beef whatsoever with teaching kids with disablities how to use their residual hearing/vision whatever. But I DO have a beef when its the SOLE focus/sole tool they have in their toolbox.

That DOES happen believe it or not. The focus in blind ed is teaching kids how to use their residual vision. My best friend went to Perkins School for the Blind and he didn't even get to learn Braille! LOL.......speaking of which he just signed on!
It's basicly the hyperfocus on making them seem *not disabled* "Oh if they don't have to use "speshal" methods, they're not going to really be disabled."
I have no beef whatsoever with teaching kids with disablities how to use their residual hearing/vision whatever. But I DO have a beef when its the SOLE focus/sole tool they have in their toolbox.

I didn't even know that is being done to some blind kids too? Talk about making us work twice as hard when it wasn't necessary!!!! No wonder many of these kids lose motivation for learning....it becomes NO FUN anymore! Come on...use the children's strongest sense RATHER than their weakest sense for leaning and making learning a MUCH more positve experience for them. *sighs*

I didn't even know that is being done to some blind kids too? Talk about making us work twice as hard when it wasn't necessary!!!! No wonder many of these kids lose motivation for learning....it becomes NO FUN anymore! Come on...use the children's strongest sense RATHER than their weakest sense for leaning and making learning a MUCH more positve experience for them. *sighs*

I know, shel. It just does not make sense. I guess it all depends on what your priority is. Educating the child, or trying to make the disability less apparent. And in the process of trying to make the disability less apparent, creating obstacles for them that would not have been there otherwise.

I know, shel. It just does not make sense. I guess it all depends on what your priority is. Educating the child, or trying to make the disability less apparent. And in the process of trying to make the disability less apparent, creating obstacles for them that would not have been there otherwise.

Doesn't this also make the argument for what I think why the maturation rate gets slowed down/delayed? mentioned elsewhere...

Doesn't this also make the argument for what I think why the maturation rate gets slowed down/delayed? mentioned elsewhere...

Absolutely. It creates a dependent personality type, and restricts responsibility and coping skills.

Many people choose the latter of the two. Instead of letting me go to another school where I'd have a better chance at having friends and interacting socially with other deaf/hoh kids, my parents and my school want to try and make me blend in as much as possible. I'm f*cking miserable.

And while we're at it, maybe it would be a good idea to take braille away fromthem and teach them to read using their residual sight.

I'm afraid something like that is already happening. :pissed: When I first started losing my sight I was taught Braille by this blind guy at the local library. I was told by many people that I did not need braille. The guy was also teaching Braille to a fully sighted girl guide. I wonder if anyone told her she didn't need braille either.

But it's true, on both sides of the atlantic blind children are being denied braille in favor of print on computers with speech synthesisers or large print if they've got any residual sight. I signed a petition recently by a mother of a blind son who's school was refusing to provide any braille. From what I've read similar things are happening in USA. I think it's because more blind children are being intergrated into regular schools instead of schools for the blind. I think all Blind and partially sighted children should learn braille. Even if they can see enough to read print. I mean what's wrong with learning both.

Many people choose the latter of the two. Instead of letting me go to another school where I'd have a better chance at having friends and interacting socially with other deaf/hoh kids, my parents and my school want to try and make me blend in as much as possible. I'm f*cking miserable.

I know how you feel. I've been there too. I suppose you could always try finding out where your local deaf school is and order a brocure from them. Then leave it round so your parents can see it. Along with information about the benifits of learning ASL.

Oh I got plenty to tell u about what happens to the maturation level when children are deprived of a language...also the co-dependency issues are also rampant too. I am trying to teach my "oral" students to do things for themselves instead of relying on me all the time for everything. That's one of my biggest goals for them this year. *crossing my fingers*

I know how you feel. When I expressed my interests in attending the deaf school when I was in middle school, I was told that I was "too" smart for the school and kids. I was miserable in school too. Do u have an IEP (Individual Education Plan)? If u are past the age of 14, you have rights to refuse to sign it if u feel that it is not meeting your needs and request a transfer to MSSD?

I am so sorry for your situation. I'm sure that you have already tried to communicate this to your parents and your teachers, and they simply are not listening because they are seeing your needs through the lense of their own needs. Perhaps showing them some of the posts from other deaf/hoh people from the forum would help to increase their awareness.

I'm afraid something like that is already happening. :pissed: When I first started losing my sight I was taught Braille by this blind guy at the local library. I was told by many people that I did not need braille. The guy was also teaching Braille to a fully sighted girl guide. I wonder if anyone told her she didn't need braille either.

But it's true, on both sides of the atlantic blind children are being denied braille in favor of print on computers with speech synthesisers or large print if they've got any residual sight. I signed a petition recently by a mother of a blind son who's school was refusing to provide any braille. From what I've read similar things are happening in USA. I think it's because more blind children are being intergrated into regular schools instead of schools for the blind. I think all Blind and partially sighted children should learn braille. Even if they can see enough to read print. I mean what's wrong with learning both.

The trend is frightening, dreama. Integration was never intended to create more obstacles, or to make those with a disability APPEAR to have less of a disability. The intent was to allow for integration by the provision of accommodations allowing for equal access. Intent and purpose has been horribly distorted in practice, and created more obstacles than it has knocked down.

Oh I got plenty to tell u about what happens to the maturation level when children are deprived of a language...also the co-dependency issues are also rampant too. I am trying to teach my "oral" students to do things for themselves instead of relying on me all the time for everything. That's one of my biggest goals for them this year. *crossing my fingers*

Kind of makes you wonder about the hidden motives of parents who insist on oral only, doesn't it?

Man! I didnt realize that. Thanks for educating me about this trend with blind kids. :pissed:

The trend is frightening, dreama. Integration was never intended to create more obstacles, or to make those with a disability APPEAR to have less of a disability. The intent was to allow for integration by the provision of accommodations allowing for equal access. Intent and purpose has been horribly distorted in practice, and created more obstacles than it has knocked down.

I know. When will they realise that it just isn't working. At least with the old system the kids were being taught something. Even though the old system of segregation had it's faults too.

This intergration system is like trying to teach kids to swim just by throwing them in the deep end. A good way of making them frightened of water.

I know. When will they realise that it just isn't working. At least with the old system the kids were being taught something. Even though the old system of segregation had it's faults too.

This intergration system is like trying to teach kids to swim just by throwing them in the deep end. A good way of making them frightened of water.

I oculdn't agree with you more. And the system of defining success seems to be that if 5 of the ten suffered brain damage from near drowning, and 3 died from drowning, it is acceptable because two actually managed to save themselves!

Back