after getting 2nd ip address

justlook

Reaction score
if i get that... do i have to get other modem or setting up through router? either way... how to set up? thanks...

no, you don't need another modem. You can either set up the router to accept two ip address and direct both to specific computer. or get a switched ethernet hub.

I have 3 ip address since I don't like router so I prefer switched ethernet hub to connect to three devices that use internet. in my case 2 computers and 1 vp100 that way I don't have to worry about router being down or whatever.

I am NOT quite sure if router can be set up with more than 1 ip address. I haven't tried that yet. BUT I do have multiple IP address, and all need is one cable modem! Need to have switch BETWEEN the routers and cable modem. The switch was intended to split additional IP to each routers. So, meaning I have two routers for two additional IP addresses, and the first ip address is connected directly to VP, making it three total. Did I have problem? Not for 2 years so far!

no, you don't need another modem. You can either set up the router to accept two ip address and direct both to specific computer. or get a switched ethernet hub.

I have 3 ip address since I don't like router so I prefer switched ethernet hub to connect to three devices that use internet. in my case 2 computers and 1 vp100 that way I don't have to worry about router being down or whatever.

when there are more than 1 computer at home, they provide different last number of ip-address start at 0 to 1, 2, etc.

when there are more than 1 computer at home, they provide different last number of ip-address start at 0 to 1, 2, etc.
correct. if the IP space is within the same subnet you don't need any additional routing. Hubs and switches are mutually exclusive. Some switches however support routing capabilities.

I wonder why switch ethernet is better? I almost change network but keep my router and saw mac support tech, I forget website, that ethernet and router both are recommend if you want your ip address or domain like people can access personal web host network over internet.

I wonder why switch ethernet is better? I almost change network but keep my router and saw mac support tech, I forget website, that ethernet and router both are recommend if you want your ip address or domain like people can access personal web host network over internet.
Yeah having both router and switched hub is ideal
Hub / Multiple IP Internet Connection Sharing at HomeNetHelp.com this link can apply to both mac/pc setup.

but in my case I do not need router. I don't like it because it is hassle to configure.

Thanks for the link Boult and I see what they said about considering a switch to be a faster hub... eh... that's kind of a stretch. I would never put the two into the same catagory but I can see why for the sake of ease of explanation that they did that. The important point they make is that a all systems on a hub share the same bandwidth and each system on a switch has a dedicated bandwidth even if they are on the same segment. Switches also allow for bi-directional traffic (duplexing) where hubs do not.

In DHCP mode not really! They randomly assigns you available IP addresses. That is how it works. What I see in my three IP addresses, they all not in same subnet. My ISP have about 4 or 5 DNS of their own, maybe more and that is how there is so many different subnets.

In DHCP mode not really! They randomly assigns you available IP addresses. That is how it works. What I see in my three IP addresses, they all not in same subnet. My ISP have about 4 or 5 DNS of their own, maybe more and that is how there is so many different subnets.
I am not sure how your ISP is set up and I am not second guessing you here but even if the last three octets of the IP address are different, you may still be on the same subnet. That would be Class A address space. example' 24.x.x.x / 8. So it's really up to the subnet mask to determine the IP space you are in. I too have DHCP assigned address from ISP but even though the address changes each time the modem reboots, I am still on the same subnet. Again... your situation (as others) may be different.

Yea, it really all depends on the size of ISP, some ISP have class A domain, while others may have only class C (The smallest) for small ISP. And again it all depends on how many subscribers. If there isnt many subscriber in same subnet, then there is likely getting IP in sequence, but larger ISP like mine which covers most of western NY... That is ALOT! and getting IP addresses in sequence is rare, but can happen.

I am not sure how your ISP is set up and I am not second guessing you here but even if the last three octets of the IP address are different, you may still be on the same subnet. That would be Class A address space. example' 24.x.x.x / 8. So it's really up to the subnet mask to determine the IP space you are in. I too have DHCP assigned address from ISP but even though the address changes each time the modem reboots, I am still on the same subnet. Again... your situation (as others) may be different.

I know subnet is LAN and internet is WAN. I know different between two. The IP address of LAN like 192.68.0.x

Not true. ALL IP addresses always involves with subnet! in LAN most cases uses private NAT address table, and you can subnet them, if know how. On WAN side, ISP always have to set up subnet themselves from one of classes set forth by domain provider.

I know subnet is LAN and internet is WAN. I know different between two. The IP address of LAN like 192.68.0.x

actually 192.68.0.x is private ip used in private LAN or Intranet that is not open to public. 10.0.0.x is also private ip too.

public ip address varies depending on classes.

what if I set up my own computer on LAN with my own server how can they surf throught to my LAN while my kids play another LAN computers. For example when I have apache server like web sharing.

To set up my private LAN ip address like subnet to WAN? How possibly? I did success two years ago but failed again that mess up.

local subnet can access my computer with .local but people over internet can't see my LAN's web sharing (apache server). I was hoping to set up my future forum. Mac OS X client is difficult. But Mac OS X server is better and expensive.

Back