ADA violations-Home Depot

Cheri said:
I guess they were scare that I'll hurt myself. I'm not like those cheerleaders who panic every time their nails break.
Funny, my daughter is a cheerleader and as a "base" she would probably be more suited for a job involving heavy lifting than most men!

Tousi said:
So, Cheri, what do you think happened?

She probably won't admit that she stared at males butt and sexy legs during the warmer weather. :giggle:

Sweetmind said:
Ha ha ha ha dale, Malfoyish and eve you childish attitude dont change.. no wonder I dont mingle with you guys after all you are so bittered about everything that relates deaf issues..

Need to tune up your head and attitude as well.

I just am being honest with my resume. You dont like it then tough shyte.

BITTER!? LOLOL!!!!! Oh, Sweetmind. *shakes head*

I'm perfectly content with who I am. :) Those who know me are perfectly content with who I am as well. I have a very positive attitude towards myself and the potential task when I take it upon myself to tackle a job application. This is one thing that interviewers or for that matter, employers, look for in receiving an application.

Vampy's right, by the way...as for your "shit pile," there are PLENTY of hearing people's applications as well. I am not saying that there is no discrimination out there because I know there is. All I'm saying is that you shouldn't be so quick to assume. Of course, you didn't understand that - so yes, not considering me someone you'd like to "mingle" with suits me perfectly fine.

Sweetmind said:
It s very obviously that people do not understand why I have the term "Deaf". I can see they are closedminded.. Do they have a term "CIer" in their resume? I think not!

Umm, they don't have a mark-off box labeled "deaf" either from what I recall. It's entirely up to the person filling out the application whether or not they choose to bring it to the attention of the manager or person doing the hiring. For me, I just handed in the application and left the store. They called me back on the same evening. I went in for an interview and left the store with a JOB. During the interview, I made it clear that even though I had a hearing loss, it did not impair me to the point where I could not do a good job. I did state that there would be some things I could not do - i.e., telephone calls/answering, PA system, customer service, etc. They didn't care and they hired me anyway - and put me in a position that best suited me - I was content and worked there for two years.

Do yourself a favor - save the deaf rights advocating for the interview. You'd probably stand a better chance that way. An application is NOT an interview...they have to approve the APPLICATION before they are going to determine who is the best candidate for any job - this applies to both hearing and deaf people.

Umm, they don't have a mark-off box labeled "deaf" either from what I recall. It's entirely up to the person filling out the application whether or not they choose to bring it to the attention of the manager or person doing the hiring. For me, I just handed in the application and left the store. They called me back on the same evening. I went in for an interview and left the store with a JOB. During the interview, I made it clear that even though I had a hearing loss, it did not impair me to the point where I could not do a good job. I did state that there would be some things I could not do - i.e., telephone calls/answering, PA system, customer service, etc. They didn't care and they hired me anyway - and put me in a position that best suited me - I was content and worked there for two years.

Do yourself a favor - save the deaf rights advocating for the interview. You'd probably stand a better chance that way. An application is NOT an interview...they have to approve the APPLICATION before they are going to determine who is the best candidate for any job - this applies to both hearing and deaf people.[/QUOTE]

Why did you leave HD? and How did they treat you while you worked there? Did they make "Reasonable Accomadations" for you?

Malfoyish said:
BITTER!? LOLOL!!!!! Oh, Sweetmind. *shakes head*

I'm perfectly content with who I am. :) Those who know me are perfectly content with who I am as well. I have a very positive attitude towards myself and the potential task when I take it upon myself to tackle a job application. This is one thing that interviewers or for that matter, employers, look for in receiving an application.

Vampy's right, by the way...as for your "shit pile," there are PLENTY of hearing people's applications as well. I am not saying that there is no discrimination out there because I know there is. All I'm saying is that you shouldn't be so quick to assume. Of course, you didn't understand that - so yes, not considering me someone you'd like to "mingle" with suits me perfectly fine.

Do yourself a favor - save the deaf rights advocating for the interview. You'd probably stand a better chance that way. An application is NOT an interview...they have to approve the APPLICATION before they are going to determine who is the best candidate for any job - this applies to both hearing and deaf people.

Next time, I should put "Deaf Power" on my resume' :lol: Be cautioned them to accept me for who I am. I speak like a monkey. They probably hire me because I am cute. :naughty:

Just kidding...

rld said:
Why did you leave HD? and How did they treat you while you worked there? Did they make "Reasonable Accomadations" for you?

I did not work at Home Depot, I worked at another retail center. I left because there was new management and this particular manager was cutting everyone's hours and scheduling people for times where it'd be very difficult for them to be there. On top of that, there were many scheduling conflicts between my husband's added hours to his work schedule and my "new" schedule - one of us had to be at home for the kids....:dunno:

While I worked there, I wasn't treated any differently. They knew they had to face me when speaking to me, they knew that in order to get my attention, they had to physically come and find me instead of making PA announcements. They were perfectly fine with it. My particular task was to scan the returned items, enter data into computer, identify an item using spare pieces, apply credit where I had enough "parts" to do so, keep logs of lost/stolen items and more. At times where that area was slow, I would stock shelves, help clean up during closing time. During warmer weather, I was also helping with big-ticket pickups like bicycles, 4x4's, wagons, plastic houses, etc. I got the job done - and I've trained HEARING people to do the same job I was doing. :)

Kalista said:
Next time, I should put "Deaf Power" on my resume' :lol: Be cautioned them to accept me for who I am. I speak like a monkey. They probably hire me because I am cute. :naughty:

Just kidding...

LOL, Kalista...more power to ya if you decide to go that route. ;) I'd be curious to see how it all turned out.

:lol: It s so funny, Kalista.. There is no such thing about Deaf power for me. I m involved Deaf school, Deaf tournament that I was President/ Secretary/Treasurer of that Bowling tournaments, and a lot of activities with volunteer jobs that relates Deaf in Deaf community. I am not gonna to hide anything and am proud of what I have accomplished for Deaf community and with Hearing/d/Deaf people.

Have a wonderful weekend! Kalista. ;)

For others with a childish and cruel audism attitude,

So I can see some of you people are way off base and think you know it all. For Pete s sake.. They gotta nothing else to talk about but howevr they know to be abusive on people whoever they hate our guts to share the truth. What a pity!

No reason for you to put your thumb down on d/Deaf people who struggled to find a job that you think we are being so lazy.. Scoffs!

Sweetmind said:
:Do they have a term "CIer" in their resume? I think not!

I'm finding that deafs with CI's seem to have a red carpet treatment over the ASL deafs when it comes to hiring.

We got a CI deaf gal from Oklahoma 1 month ago and it only took her 3 days with our help to land herself a nice paying job in Orange County.

Same thing I see with a deaf guy with a CI we sent to a supermarket last year and he got hired on the spot.

Basically what I'm seeing here in Orange County is that the CI is becoming a deaf person's ticket to work.

Richard

DUHIE nesmuth ! I aint that stupid as you think.. Read it right, Will you please stop having a way off base with others along???

I dont need to explain to you since you think you know it all. It has nothing to do with CI devices itself?? Poor excuse from you as usual.

I'm finding that deafs with CI's seem to have a red carpet treatment over the ASL deafs when it comes to hiring.

Oh really? I don't think so. I know there are Deaf people out there who has got a good job and they don't have a CI. I for an example have a good job for nearly 5 years and I don't have a CI. There is no such thing about more jobs for CI ppl than Deaf ppl. If that the case, that is discrimination against the Deaf people, like example, pushing Deaf ppl out and having ppl with CI taking over, wouldn't it?

Could someone tell me what a 'Home Depot' is? Thanks

Koala said:
Could someone tell me what a 'Home Depot' is? Thanks

Home Depot is same as Lowe ( similar to hardware store but much bigger, has things to remodeling your home such as dry walls, sink, cabinets, floors, etc ... )

Thanks Angel

We have a hardware store over here but different names.

Koala

Here is Orange County, California the most conservative county in the United States. It's not like wherever youre at. They been turning their backs on ASL and deaf culture. I seen that through their grantmaking activities.

Richard

The whole point is at Home Depot in enviornments that is what they are looking at a person as not comparing the resumes that hired afterward!

A friend of mine that used to be the owner of the company , he looked at those resumes and saw a bad resumes, he hired them to know what the person 's skills has. A good resumes is that he thinks that a person is over thier quailfication. That's an environments.

He ran his own business for almost ten years and plus that is how it works with those people after interviews. He prefer to take the unexperiences than the better qualification people. It makes sense to me now..

Lets say you have experiences in data proccess and get paid for $9.50 an hour. Other person get paid $5.50 an hour. He said he would pick that person who have the lowest paid in the past and their background that is very excellent. However, the quailty is poor that is an advantage of them to have them to be in 90 days probation.

See ya later! :crazy: Nesmuth s very negative comment about d/Deaf people without CI as usual. jeez! Deaf people are hard worker people and the best worker that people can take an advantage of us Deaf people as usual. They dont want to pay more that is a huge problem out there.

Sweetmind said:
The whole point is at Home Depot in enviornments that is what they are looking at a person as not comparing the resumes that hired afterward!

A friend of mine that used to be the owner of the company , he looked at those resumes and saw a bad resumes, he hired them to know what the person 's skills has. A good resumes is that he thinks that a person is over thier quailfication. That's an environments.

He ran his own business for almost ten years and plus that is how it works with those people after interviews. He prefer to take the unexperiences than the better qualification people. It makes sense to me now..

Lets say you have experiences in data proccess and get paid for $9.50 an hour. Other person get paid $5.50 an hour. He said he would pick that person who have the lowest paid in the past and their background that is very excellent. However, the quailty is poor that is an advantage of them to have them to be in 90 days probation.

See ya later! :crazy: Nesmuth s very negative comment about d/Deaf people without CI as usual. jeez! Deaf people are hard worker people and the best worker that people can take an advantage of us Deaf people as usual. They dont want to pay more that is a huge problem out there.

You're referring to ONE owner/manager. This does not necessarily mean that they all operate in this manner.

Malfoyish said:
Congratulations, Nesmuth - you've made the poo list.

Being on the ASL fanatic's 'poo list' simply brings me more business than before.

Richard

Back