ADA violations-Home Depot

rld

Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you out there are or have worked for Home Depot. And if you would be so kind as to tell me about your time with that company in connection with reasonable accomadations, job harrassment, job advancement, etc. thank you very much

I have worked at Home Depot long time ago when I was in senior back in 1996, I haven't had any problems working there, except lot of customers couldn't even read or write....and lot of customers won't communicate with deaf people, either.

rld said:
Just wondering if any of you out there are or have worked for Home Depot. And if you would be so kind as to tell me about your time with that company in connection with reasonable accomadations, job harrassment, job advancement, etc. thank you very much

I did apply a job at Home Depot. They never call me for the interview. I assume, they are afraid to hiring me because my voice sounds like a monkey when I talk. I am afraid the customers probably did not go to shopping at Home Depot because of me. :roll:

I have made my beautifully resume with all the term of Deaf. I have never heard from them. So what does it tell you? ;)

Sweetmind said:
I have made my beautifully resume with all the term of Deaf. I have never heard from them. So what does it tell you? ;)

I guess it tells me that I wouldn't want your opinion on my home renovations, either. ;)

It also tells me that the manager at Home Depot is probably still reviewing your application.

I happen to know a deaf guy who works at the Home Depot closest to me. You may try to make this a discrimination issue if you see fit, but perhaps they have a valid reason in your case.

Sweetmind said:

It tells me many things:

1. They may have been overwhelmed with tons of resumes coming in on a daily basis. Remember, our economy is struggling right now so there is a fierce competition out there for jobs.

2. You did not say how long it has been - thus I cannot give you an answer based on that.

3. They may have found a more qualified person than you or they may have felt that you are overqualified for the position.

4. Their Human Resources Manager may be lousy in returning thank you notes for the applications or resumes being turned in.

Hearing people are having a hard time finding jobs as much as Deaf people so I dont see this reeking of discrimination unless proven.

Remember the saying- they are not guilty until proven. Not the other way around as if they are guilty unless proven innocent.

Gemtun said:
It tells me many things:

1. They may have been overwhelmed with tons of resumes coming in on a daily basis. Remember, our economy is struggling right now so there is a fierce competition out there for jobs.

2. You did not say how long it has been - thus I cannot give you an answer based on that.

3. They may have found a more qualified person than you or they may have felt that you are overqualified for the position.

4. Their Human Resources Manager may be lousy in returning thank you notes for the applications or resumes being turned in.

Hearing people are having a hard time finding jobs as much as Deaf people so I dont see this reeking of discrimination unless proven.

Remember the saying- they are not guilty until proven. Not the other way around as if they are guilty unless proven innocent.

Very well said, Gem.

Additionally, I'll add that it tells me everything as well as nothing at all.

Sweetmind...perhaps doing yourself a favor by not assuming will salvage whatever's left of your sanity.

Sweetmind said:

Maybe that's because under 'Interests' you wrote a three-page rant about 'audists'? :deal:

Just because they don't call you doesn't mean they aren't interested in you. If you apply for a job, it does help to call them back to check up on your application. Usually, a week later is best. Even hearing people don't get called, not only deaf people.

I know 3 deaf people who work at HD: One is Deaf who stocks shelves, one is HoH with a CI and deals with customers all day just fine & is management material and the third one is deaf but I don't know what he does. But, yes, there are many reasons for both deaf and hearing people as to why they don't get called; I think, for the most part, HD is overwhelmed with applications, bogging down the HR people.

Beowulf said:
Get lost, Naziboy.
Or eat another cow for a snack.
http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=95
5.) No bashing, flaming or harassing other members. Period.
Uh Beo, ya know I adore ya, but was that really called for? Did it have anything to do with the topic at hand? It is okay to disagree with Dale on the subject, but what you posted belongs in PM, not here.

Ha ha ha ha dale, Malfoyish and eve you childish attitude dont change.. no wonder I dont mingle with you guys after all you are so bittered about everything that relates deaf issues..

Need to tune up your head and attitude as well.

I just am being honest with my resume. You dont like it then tough shyte.

Thank you Beowulf! ;)
Sweetmind

:bsflag:

It s very obviously that people do not understand why I have the term "Deaf". I can see they are closedminded.. Do they have a term "CIer" in their resume? I think not!

So, I have my choice about what the term to put in. I hav no problem to put Deaf then itis really fine with me anyway. If it helps then what s your fricky problem do they have? I cannot hide myself for who I am. Why should I hide that I am deaf that would be to show that I am ashamed of it? And I am not, so why hide it?

Actually, I should be proud of being deaf in a diversity world. If I can make it in a diversity world then it just shows my strength.

It s very hard evidence to proof that they are discriminating me or many deafies who tried so hard to find a good job for years and years. So therefore we are stuck with that old attitudes. It sux has before and will sux in the future.

I remember a guy who was latened deaf and got pissed off at those people he worked with.. He got demoted from the job after he became deaf. That s a real prejudiced and discriminated by audist attitude . So there! It s wrong as hell but it happens..

Thank you! ;)
Sweetmind

They just see that a person is deaf and it's all over. True, the deafie fills out a job application but by law, they have to take it after that it goes to the shyte pile. That is a real issue here. :shock:

I worked at home depot for one day in the garden area, they laid me off because they think the work was too hard for a woman. :ugh: It was a very easy job!

Cheri said:
I worked at home depot for one day in the garden area, they laid me off because they think the work was too hard for a woman. :ugh: It was a very easy job!

So, Cheri, what do you think happened?

Sweetmind said:
I just am being honest with my resume. You dont like it then tough shyte.
What do I care? I'm not the one looking for a J-O-B!

Tousi said:
So, Cheri, what do you think happened?

Well, to be honest, I was the only chick in that department, which we were doing heavy lifting, and stacking. I'm used to it because we do that at bbq shows too. I guess they were scare that I'll hurt myself. I'm not like those cheerleaders who panic every time their nails break. :whistle:

I used to applied at Home Depot when I first brought this house, but they never called, so I guess they had to choose btw me and Cheri...LOL

Back