ADA violations-Home Depot

If I do not hear from Home Depot for the interview job. I may end up to selling the fingerspelling ABC cards front of the door to the customers. :dunno:

i have known some deaf work at homedepot.. and they enjoy it and have no plm.

Kalista said:
If I do not hear from Home Depot for the interview job. I may end up to selling the fingerspelling ABC cards front of the door to the customers. :dunno:

Or teach some fingerspelling classes at your home. You could bring in as much as $175 per student for a one month class in your home. Folks in California are already doing it. And it was even advertised on the Deaf California News mailing list too.

Richard

I have been reading the Home Depot post I am laughing because I have worked for Home Depot for 6 long years. I am one of the top people in my department only deaf one and there are 5 other deaf people working with me at this location. Our store is one of the top stores in the South I was told if we can survive working at this location we could survive at any Home Depot due to the high demand. At one time there were 8 of us one got fired one transfered out to another Home Depot. There are other Home Depots in our area who also have deaf people working at the stores and one guy who works at the Store Support Center he has been there for years so your theroy that Home Depot is bias against deaf people is pretty lame at best. This is not only in my area who hires deaf people I read about people who work for Home Depot locations in Calif, Tenn and Florida.

All of us in my store work in different departments I work in Paint, we have one guy out in the lot area, one guy in the Lumber department, one guy in Garden, one girl in Hardware and one guy just transfered to the night crew. The girl who transfered to another Home Depot works in Electrical deapartment she even got married to a hearing co worker. Everyone in the store is very supportive of all the Deaf workers from Mangament right on down to the associates who work on the floor with us. Some of our co workers have even learned to sign it was not something we demanded of them they wanted to learn on their own which I think is the best way to go. Make them feel comfortable enough they will want to learn how to communicate with you no need to bully them into it.

Home Depot set up a plan in my area to hire deaf people because they felt not enough were getting through the application process which I think was an awesome thing for a big corp like Home Depot to do. We had a 3 months trial period if they liked u they kept u on and this was trail period was paid. We had training two weeks before we started working to help us with customer service and other ways to help us once we started on the job. We had to act out situations with customers.

The application process is all done on computers in the front of the stores they would never know if you were deaf or hearing their applications require the usual work history they also have questions and answers sorta like multi choice they will give u a situation and ask to pick a choice of how u would respond to any given situation. The application center computers have captions as well so any deaf person doing the application process should be able to answer the questions. Your best bet if you have already applied would be to call the store that u applied at and ask them if your application has been processed.

Those other deaf people in the other states got the job all on their own without a program to help them get in so if they can do it so can the rest of u quit whinning about how Home Depot is not hiring you call them ask if your application has been process bug them if you must. Nothing in this world is free it aint gonna be handed to you and neatly wrapped up just because your Deaf and the world doesnt owe you a damn thing just because your Deaf. They dont care about Deaf power they care if your qulified to do the job deaf, hearing, black, white whatever that's the bottom line

Do you put on your applications or resume that you are deaf????? If you do, why??

No, you don't put that you are deaf on a resume. You don't want them to scan you out. That's none of their business as much as being black isn't either. They need to look at your experiences. I don't know why some deaf people would put that on their resume or a TTY. Most people don't have a clue what the heck a TTY is or really care to make an effort to know. Just seem like everyone else in regards of your physical status. You need to be a bait for them to pick you. :D

Back