Accommodations and Modifications

There is an interactive board set up in each classroom in which a projector is hooked up to the computer and we can touch the screen to use power point, Internet, and many other programs. 500% better than overheads!

SMART - SMART Board interactive whiteboards

Cool! :D

Based on your description, I'm pretty certain my university has Smartboards.

In fact, I think my Statistics professor uses one in class since she has accessed several videos from the Internet as well as demonstrating SPSS.

Wow, that's impressive! If you don't mind my asking, does your son attend a residential school for the deaf or a public/private school?

My son attends public school. He is mainstreamed. We are very lucky to live in one of the top school districts in New York. I had no idea what a smartboard was until we moved here 4 years ago! It's an unbelievable tool and my other child has CAPD and anything visual is a great benefit to him as well. Another beneift about the district is that the classes are small and each teacher has an aide for at least 2 hours a day. We pay through the nose in taxes , but with 5 children- private school was out of the question!:lol:

My son attends public school. He is mainstreamed. We are very lucky to live in one of the top school districts in New York. I had no idea what a smartboard was until we moved here 4 years ago! It's an unbelievable tool and my other child has CAPD and anything visual is a great benefit to him as well. Another beneift about the district is that the classes are small and each teacher has an aide for at least 2 hours a day. We pay through the nose in taxes , but with 5 children- private school was out of the question!:lol:

That's great, doubletrouble.

I'm glad both of your sons are in an excellent school district where they are able to receive the accommodations they need. :)

There is an interactive board set up in each classroom in which a projector is hooked up to the computer and we can touch the screen to use power point, Internet, and many other programs. 500% better than overheads!

SMART - SMART Board interactive whiteboards

Yeah, I saw it at FSDB while visiting my friend who was a teacher twice... awesome interactive board, indeed! Great tool for the deaf especially, I dare say.

deaefbajagal,
I like the insights you've offered in this thread. If you would take time to respond to my thread on residential versus mainstream education, I would greatly appreciate it. Deafdyke was the first to respond and she gave me some great stuff. Hope all is well with you.

Sincerely,
prayerflag

deaefbajagal,
I like the insights you've offered in this thread. If you would take time to respond to my thread on residential versus mainstream education, I would greatly appreciate it. Deafdyke was the first to respond and she gave me some great stuff. Hope all is well with you. Also, may I use some of your feedback in my assignment regarding dhh education?

Sincerely,
prayerflag

I am from the Uk and when i was in secondary school i had a interpreter, smartboard, preferential seating, fm systems, extra exam time(extra 15 mins for a hour so if it was a 2 hour exam its 2 and half hours.)

i attended a deaf school for primary so fm systems, smartboard etc

I am from the Uk and when i was in secondary school i had a interpreter, smartboard, preferential seating, fm systems, extra exam time(extra 15 mins for a hour so if it was a 2 hour exam its 2 and half hours.)

i attended a deaf school for primary so fm systems, smartboard etc

Fascinating thread, DB. At least it's nothing about naughty stuff LOL. I have taken couple of courses in my college about education studies because I want to specialize in "Information" since I'm an IT major. My study is focused on getting right information to right people with minimal effort.

I have gained a great insight in education studies even though it does not cover people with disability but it talked at great length about what works and what doesn't. The main key theme was getting students involved and interested on boring subjects.

Smartboards sounds pretty cool and I have not experienced it yet. But it looks very pricey and are prone to technical errors. I think we should focus on "simple yet effective" concept without spending tons of money on technology.

Fascinating thread, DB. At least it's nothing about naughty stuff LOL. I have taken couple of courses in my college about education studies because I want to specialize in "Information" since I'm an IT major. My study is focused on getting right information to right people with minimal effort.

I have gained a great insight in education studies even though it does not cover people with disability but it talked at great length about what works and what doesn't. The main key theme was getting students involved and interested on boring subjects.

Smartboards sounds pretty cool and I have not experienced it yet. But it looks very pricey and are prone to technical errors. I think we should focus on "simple yet effective" concept without spending tons of money on technology.

Ha...I can be on Sant'as nice list as well as on the naughty list. :cool2: I agree with the "simple yet effective" methods of teaching...there's nothing wrong with using the old fashioned chalkboard to teach the concepts. I also agree that getting kids actively involved as learners is the key. Active learners is the key. You hit the nail on this one.

what about curriculum?
I mean like actual curricula not pedagogy. Is there anything we ought to be teaching deaf students to understand the hearing world more?
Just my 2 cents

what about curriculum?
I mean like actual curricula not pedagogy. Is there anything we ought to be teaching deaf students to understand the hearing world more?
Just my 2 cents

Technically curriculum is already there...it is getting access to the curriculum that makes it the issue. How do we ensure deaf and hard of hearing students have full access to the curriculum? That's where accommodations and modification come into play. ;)

Please elaborate...I'm not sure I understand what you mean. :)

High schoolers are the key to our future. If we can get them to socialize much more than having them divided into groups such as jocks, cheerleaders, goths, musicians, and druggies. It's better to put up a "blind date" system for after school with supervisor, so that they can discover themselves without being in groups and being hazed into doing things they don't wanna do.

hmmmmm, Ok, but technically you're speaking off is pedagogy modification, I mean curriculum development into an entirely new subject.But ok, im not gonna startle curiousity..I think I'd leave it for now.. ;)

Back