Accommodations and Modifications

FM works for some, not all. It's mostly for kids who have a lot of hearing but needs to reduce background noise and white noise so they can focus on the teacher. The teacher has to keep in mind that if other students are talking, they also need to have a microphone...unless there's a switch option for the FM to be switched to teacher only or whole class.

It is also helpful to students who are hard of hearing but also have ADHD. The FM system blocks background noise and helps them focus on the teacher (if that teacher uses her voice, obviously this would not be helpful if the teacher only signs, lol).

I had one student who had severe ADHD. All of the teachers tried everything...and then one night as I was in bed thinking about how I could help this kid, it hit me. FM! So the next morning I talked to him and he agreed to try it for a week. It worked.
He no longer acted like a rubber ball on speed.

Soundfield system, on the other hand, is helpful not only to deaf/hh students but to hearing students as well. Studies have shown that using a soundfield system in a classroom helped (hearing) students with ADHD and learning disabilities as well. Most public school classrooms have a soundfield system installed...all classrooms should have them because the acoustics in a classroom environment is often so poor.

I'm with deafdyke ... what are Smartboards??

Smartboards are such a BLESSING to have in the classroom. Since I got one installed in my classroom, my students' math scores improved dramatically cuz they are much more interested in learning all the different math concepts because of the Smartboard.

I cant imagine teaching without one now.

Smartboards are such a BLESSING to have in the classroom. Since I got one installed in my classroom, my students' math scores improved dramatically cuz they are much more interested in learning all the different math concepts because of the Smartboard.

I cant imagine teaching without one now.

Check this out - there's some COOL math stuff here. You may already know and use these:

Smartboard in the Classroom

One accommodation that is often ignored, buyt increases acess to what goes on in a classroom tremendously, providing a cue when someone not directly in the student's line of vision is speaking, so that the student knows to turn and look at the speaker. This comes in handy in classes using ASL as the primary communication as well. Although a couple of oralists found it extremely funny, and made tremendous fun of the technique, having a hacy sack ball that is tossed from speaker to speaker so that it can be followed visually is a very effective technique.

actually deafbajagirl, its beginning to be a lot more common for school systems to use FMs for ADD/HD kids.

If I may add..My middle school had an FM system and I always hated it. But I know it helps people hear better with it. But my FM systems always bad. they rarely call the audilogist to come in and have it taken to get it fixed. Which is kind of upsetting for me. And as for interperting, my interpreter goes home sick maybe a few times in the year because she has some medical problems cuz of her allergies and my interpreter ends up trying to find me a sub which is Community for the deaf here in ohio. My interpreter doesn't like that service alot because they always say that interpreters are booked up. And even the school are too lazy to find one for me. And it made my dad mad because it says in my I.E.P that I am suppose to have an interpreter. and it is the law to. Hopefully my years in high school will be better luck for me..

If I may add..My middle school had an FM system and I always hated it. But I know it helps people hear better with it. But my FM systems always bad. they rarely call the audilogist to come in and have it taken to get it fixed. Which is kind of upsetting for me. And as for interperting, my interpreter goes home sick maybe a few times in the year because she has some medical problems cuz of her allergies and my interpreter ends up trying to find me a sub which is Community for the deaf here in ohio. My interpreter doesn't like that service alot because they always say that interpreters are booked up. And even the school are too lazy to find one for me. And it made my dad mad because it says in my I.E.P that I am suppose to have an interpreter. and it is the law to. Hopefully my years in high school will be better luck for me..

You are right. It is required by law that you have a working FM system at all times and for you to have an intepreter ALWAYS. Tell your dad if they refuse to do what is in the IEP, he needs to file due process. This will help get things rolling, I guarantee you. Also, you are old enough to go to your IEP meetings where you can voice your opinions and feelings. If you don't think the FM is helpful, tell them at the meeting.

One accommodation that is often ignored, buyt increases acess to what goes on in a classroom tremendously, providing a cue when someone not directly in the student's line of vision is speaking, so that the student knows to turn and look at the speaker. This comes in handy in classes using ASL as the primary communication as well. Although a couple of oralists found it extremely funny, and made tremendous fun of the technique, having a hacy sack ball that is tossed from speaker to speaker so that it can be followed visually is a very effective technique.

Visual cues are also excellent for classroom management as well. Some examples of visual cues (this is the benefit for those who may not be be aware of what kinds of visual cues can be used):
*Yes - any object can be used to indicate who is doing the speaking and whose turn it is. I found this not only helps the deaf student, but the hearing classmates as well since it helps them with turn-taking skills, listening skills, and learning to look for information.
*if using a FM system, passing the microphone from speaker to speaker is important (of course, the kids will need to learn how to handle it properly and carefully, etc.)
*switching on the lights for attention
*all kids raise hands to indicate it is time to stop talking/working/playing and look for the teacher (kids who are engaged will see a kid with his hand raise, and then automatically know it is time to stop, raise his hand, and look for the teacher
*use a visual timer (I use the one on the Smartboard) to indicate it is time to stop and transit
*use visual color code system or signs to indicate a message (for example, I have a large sign with a STOP sign - when it is time for the kids who are playing outside to stop playing and line up, I put up the sign. This helps alert them that the "bell has rung")
*when in a group with kids, and one kid starts talking - the teacher needs to use some kind of cue to indicate WHO is talking (pointing at the kid, or using the sign for look at the kid (two fingers pointing at the direction of the speaker/signer)
*the teacher also should indicate when someone speaks on the intercom /PA system

You are right. It is required by law that you have a working FM system at all times and for you to have an intepreter ALWAYS. Tell your dad if they refuse to do what is in the IEP, he needs to file due process. This will help get things rolling, I guarantee you. Also, you are old enough to go to your IEP meetings where you can voice your opinions and feelings. If you don't think the FM is helpful, tell them at the meeting.

right, i remember the school called the audilogist like maybe 2 times about my FM system. so my mom made a new request for me about the FM system about not being forced to wear it since they have no use of calling the audilogist. So i'm allowed to ask for the FM system if i feel like i need to use it. And my interpreter is going to use her kind of deaf service (the one she works for..i forget what service shes working for) and hopefully we can use her service anytime when i need a sub when shes sick or has to go to an all-day meeting.But I kept updating my dad about the FM system and the interpreting thing.

Does the student have an interpreter???

Working closely with the interpreter will definitely be a benefit to the student.

Off-topic...

Jillio or others,

What's a hacy sack ball?

actually deafbajagirl, its beginning to be a lot more common for school systems to use FMs for ADD/HD kids.

FM systems are also being used more and more often for LD students who have difficulty with auditory processing.

Off-topic...

Jillio or others,

What's a hacy sack ball?

A little ball filled with beans of beads and kicked with the feet into the air. No hands. Can play alone to just keep it going or with others.

In my son's case ,every single classroom (including the art and music rooms) all have smart boards, tod services, pre teach and post teach vocabulary words, pass around mic, fm system, preferential seating, wall to wall carpeting for accoustics, cc on all videos shown in the classroom, extended time, pieces of caulk need the windows for accoustics, and I think that's it.. (that's plenty believe me)..oh and strobe lights for fire alarms

In my son's case ,every single classroom (including the art and music rooms) all have smart boards, tod services, pre teach and post teach vocabulary words, pass around mic, fm system, preferential seating, wall to wall carpeting for accoustics, cc on all videos shown in the classroom, extended time, pieces of caulk need the windows for accoustics, and I think that's it.. (that's plenty believe me)..oh and strobe lights for fire alarms

Wow, that's impressive! If you don't mind my asking, does your son attend a residential school for the deaf or a public/private school?

Smartboards.. my my... seems like education nowadays is so high tech! Well if the school can't afford smartboards, what about overhead projectors? That way, instead of the teacher facing the board while writing (so many of them forget to turn around when speaking out of habit), they use the overhead projector to write and face forward at the same time. Just a thought.

Smartboards.. my my... seems like education nowadays is so high tech! Well if the school can't afford smartboards, what about overhead projectors? That way, instead of the teacher facing the board while writing (so many of them forget to turn around when speaking out of habit), they use the overhead projector to write and face forward at the same time. Just a thought.

I cannot go back to overhead projectors after having a Smartboard in my classroom. I am too spoiled now! :giggle:

Same at where I work at.

Back