Accommodations and Modifications

Good notetakers! Good ones are hard to find.

not if the college/university's disability office requests (of the instructor/professor) that a notetaker be one of the better students in class.

this is what my university does and i have yet to have a notetaker that i wasn't satisfied with, knock on wood.

If you have a notetaker that is not doing a good job, you have the right to request for another one. Another option is to audio-record (be sure the professor/teacher knows in advance) and then the Disability Support Services in the college/university can find someone who can type out the notes for you by listening to the lecture. That's one idea.

If you have a notetaker that is not doing a good job, you have the right to request for another one. Another option is to audio-record (be sure the professor/teacher knows in advance) and then the Disability Support Services in the college/university can find someone who can type out the notes for you by listening to the lecture. That's one idea.

exactly. another possibility is to request a transcriber notetaker who will write down verbatim everything that is discussed in class via a laptop computer. he/she can then e-mail you the notes. this is what i use and it has been extremely helpful.

been there done that, we dont have transcriber notetaker, just notetakers. But i see your point and it IS ideal, for those full english, well then we ARE expected to be fully literate to begin with anyway for any tertiary studies (but this thread is about formal school that is compulsory education right up until you actually leave school. hmmm, its good Very very hard to find them.
That is the problem, they already know what we want, 'they just say sorry we can't', then when pressed they turn around and say 'we tried and who can provide this service'?
In this day of highlighting the word 'service', conveys a certain meaning which implys professional treatment = money..... its a very sore point that is hindering deaf rights quite badly. Put differently, no money = no rights will be served. Its that bad. That is why well off -the-topic, but it is related to this symptom of 'social' problem. These deaf rights idioms is riddled with rationales which what i suspect - are designed to stall progress to the pathway for Rights being counted, thus somewhere in the legal mandate the word rights, service, funding means really amounts to nothing. Indeed it is true good notetakers are hard to find, on top of this harder to find is that 'proper, working guidelines being designed properly to really 'match' expectation of the d/Deaf students and the notetakers' styles. It is ideal to say advertise for notetakers in the appropriate field of study so the match is better aligned since the notetaker would know what is important /not so important (that i can see transcrber being a far less prone to notetakers' personal taste of the subject that often doesnt not bode with d/Deaf student expectations. BUt geez come on transcribes is a ALOT of work, readings (ever done it before I have I love it, but it sure demand good chunk of tine for that one sitting to read it) but unfortunately i never h a chance to enjoy this luxuary on regular -it was a one off interview about a person's lifespan developement. move-on... what i could see what would be ideal is; say a notetaker get to know the students personal academic interests so they could kow say, what the students' favourite theorist/arguement so they may 'put up a radar pu to that' and write as so it may align closer to way how a deaf student would write notes as if they were hearing themselves. But the problem is, "boundary" real or imagined i set up and has blocked like, its 'only note taker's role to do that' nothing else...... similar sort of thing with interpreters in job interviews...deaf person gets ask tricky question not expected (unless you know hearing culture) then you're fucked. Like a collaborative relationship, but yes ethics still are recognised but it shouldn’t not rule over the way how the note taking take place and how collection of the notes are arranged.
Myself, feel these were new 'jobs' created in the last 20 year and have 'matured' into almost professional status, However these maturation is mislead..solely on the basis of safety, but in reality it is not safe FOR the d/Deaf students not getting notes taken by someone who don’t know their intrinsic academic interests, it bland render notes as slightly better than a ‘good lip-reading experience’ that we all know lip-reading isn’t good as it cracked up to be. Notes should help as learn, not to be some sort of puzzle for after hours study.
Blah my two cents.

grummer,

if a transcriber notetaker uses a laptop to type their notes, it really doesn't take that much effort on thier part to create them.

in addition, transcriber notetakers are paid a decent amount of money as compensation (usually $75 a semester per class) depending upon how much material there is and how complex it happens to be.

furthermore, notes written by transcriber notetakers aren't much longer in length than those written by standard notetakers. (i know this because i've used both.)

in fact, many d/Deaf people prefer transcriber notetakers if powerpoint slides are being used because they provide an exact outline of the topics that are discussed in class.

also, it is the job of a transcriber notetaker/standard notetaker to write their notes in a format that works best for the student. if a student does not like the way their notes are written, it is their responsibility to contact the college/university's disability office so a different transcriber notetaker/standard notetaker can be found.

by the way, if a d/Deaf or hoh student who signs and/or lipreads chooses to use a transcriber notetaker/standard notetaker in class without the added support of an asl/pse/see terp or oral terp, they only have themselves to blame should they encounter any difficulties.

furthermore, if a student does use a terp in addition to a transcriber notetaker/standard notetaker, it will make studying notes that much easier.

Back