Accomddations for the d/Deaf should be made more visible

What about C.A.R.T (Computer-aided Real Time Transcribing)? How readily available is that where you are?

What about C.A.R.T (Computer-aided Real Time Transcribing)? How readily available is that where you are?

It was available when I was a student at Arizona State but I didnt like it. It was tooo hard on my eyes for 3 hour classes.

Once I became fluent enough in ASL, I requested an ASL terp and then it was so much better for me in my classes after that.

I had never heard of it until recently (within the last year) here on AD.

Thank you for your valuable feedback, Shel. :)

When I started college in 1990, I had an oral terp..after 2 years, I wasnt happy. Quit college to work for 3 years and then returned to college but instead of an oral terp, I got the CART (that was at the same time I took my first ASL classes)...after a year with the CART, i was fed up, so I tried with an ASL terp even thought I was taking level 3 ASL. Even with my limited fluency, I understood the terp more than the oral terp and the CART and really really was able to learn instead of memorizing the important stuff in classes.

When I started at Gallaudet...no words described how I felt to be in a classroom where I could FULLY 100% participate and really learn. That is something I will always cherish for the rest of my life.

when i started college in 1990, i had an oral terp..after 2 years, i wasnt happy. Quit college to work for 3 years and then returned to college but instead of an oral terp, i got the cart (that was at the same time i took my first asl classes)...after a year with the cart, i was fed up, so i tried with an asl terp even thought i was taking level 3 asl. Even with my limited fluency, i understood the terp more than the oral terp and the cart and really really was able to learn instead of memorizing the important stuff in classes.

When i started at gallaudet...no words described how i felt to be in a classroom where i could fully 100% participate and really learn. That is something i will always cherish for the rest of my life.

:-d :-d :-d

I was suprised hardly anyone know about CART. I certainly didn't until I had a court traffic case. The lawyer told me about CART, that's when I first heard of it. But since then, I've always thought other deaf people knew about it (I never heard of TTY either until my VRS for college as well). I've been deaf since I was a baby, and I didn't know such accomadation existed and I'm more shocked that many deaf and HOH didn't either. I just thought I was just one of rare deaf who were out of the loop about these things but the truth is many are out of the loop like me.

I was suprised hardly anyone know about CART. I certainly didn't until I had a court traffic case. The lawyer told me about CART, that's when I first heard of it. But since then, I've always thought other deaf people knew about it (I never heard of TTY either until my VRS for college as well). I've been deaf since I was a baby, and I didn't know such accomadation existed and I'm more shocked that many deaf and HOH didn't either. I just thought I was just one of rare deaf who were out of the loop about these things but the truth is many are out of the loop like me.

Yes, it appears a very common problem, perhaps that too is an accomodation we need to advocate for.....that all deaf people be full-informed of what is available to them.

Yes, it appears a very common problem, perhaps that too is an accomodation we need to advocate for.....that all deaf people be full-informed of what is available to them.

That's because those so-called audist professionals who work in the field of deaf education who advocate for oralism do not know about these things because they are too busy making deaf children assmiliate in the hearing world as much as they can and it is the deaf children who grew up into adults not knowing about things like these nor how to advocate for themselves. Those people who are in the field of oralism, AVT and etc should be the ones who needs an good kick int he butt to get themselves better educated. They dont know squat! I have so much disain for people like them.

(By the way, does anyone know how to correct the typing error in the thread title? - as a teacher/writer it is bothering me profusely - but I don't know how to go about correcting it) :-S

That's because those so-called audist professionals who work in the field of deaf education who advocate for oralism do not know about these things because they are too busy making deaf children assmiliate in the hearing world as much as they can and it is the deaf children who grew up into adults not knowing about things like these nor how to advocate for themselves. Those people who are in the field of oralism, AVT and etc should be the ones who needs an good kick int he butt to get themselves better educated. They dont know squat! I have so much disain for people like them.

So true, Shel, I share your sentiments. Perhaps may I suggest that Deaf Societies counteract this and endeavour to keep one step ahead in technologies that accomodate the Deaf, such as VPs and other such devices and other available services that assist us in just being who we are?

1. Deaf-friendly signs displayed in businesses and drive-throughs with properly-trained staff.

2. Sign Language Terps made available on request at Hospitals and other Public Service offices. Also signs displaying when your turn is next, or order is ready etc.

3. LED lights and scrolling signs notifying trains other public transport.

4. Notifications of boarding zones and times at airports.

5. Designated TV Channel for Deaf.

6. Captioning of all programs and movies made available for Deaf.

Thank you all for your participation :ty: This is what we have come up with so far.....any more ideas?

Can't think of any. Because the ones I have thought of are more for education or medical fields.

Otherwise all these suggestions are good. :)

I really think the most important thing is that employers stop discriminating against deaf people who posses the skills and training that they are looking for simply because they are deaf. That is one accodomation I want changed for good.

I agree with this sentiment!

Melbourne University has just started using CART, I think, last year or two years ago. A friend used it and she said it's so much helpful for subjects that interpreters finds complicated to translate such as Biology, Maths or even Philosophy!

Back