Accomddations for the d/Deaf should be made more visible

One way I look at it is that I think it would be helpful if there'd be more support or momentum going towards the "hearing better route". And that more funds or donations be contributed towards the different science or technology research that has to do with helping those with an hearing loss to hear better. How's that for a solution?

Only if one has an audist and medical point of view of deafness. Not all of us do.

One way I look at it is that I think it would be helpful if there'd be more support or momentum going towards the "hearing better route". And that more funds or donations be contributed towards the different science or technology research that has to do with helping those with an hearing loss to hear better. How's that for a solution?

That's isn't going to help me live for today.

Miss Delectable, hi! Is Channel 31 deaf-owned?

No, I don't think it is, however it is run by deaf people.

How do you get access to Channel 13? I think it is only available in Melbourne?

I guess you press 31 on the remote. I don't watch it myself as it doesn't broadcast clearly in my area. I don't know whether it's limited to Melbourne or nationwide, sorry. :)

A lot of stuff has been done to help those that lost their hearing, those that were born with a loss and others, regain whatever hearing they want. There are still quite a lot of us, who either will not benefit form that technology or such and who also don't wish to. We have embraced and accepted our hearing loss and deafness as a way of life and are happy for the most part. We would just like to be treated as equals. They make accommodations for the low vision, blind, and wheelchair bound, why not the hoh/deaf? Most places I have been in for a few years, have elevators available for the wheelchairs, and braille for the low vision/blind. I think they could do more for us hoh/deaf as well. I'm not talking about CI's, HA's or whatever else. Like others have said, we just want something to let us know which gate to get to for a plane, when our food order is ready, proper captioning for the television and movies.

:gpost: KB! :D

Sometime some of the deaf people just like the feeling that they're "just one of the guys". And don't necessarily always want to be reminded of their deafness or have everything to do with just the deaf. And that they may just perceive themselves to be a "person first who just happens to have an hearing loss" rather than expanding or exaggerating their deaf identity and live in a "deaf this or deaf that..." sense like the way some of the deaf people do. Just my 2 cents.

What does that have to do with access to accommodations?

You clearly have self-esteem issues if it's such a bother to be reminded of your hearing loss.

That is it in a nutshell. And his issues should not determine the level of accommodation for others.

I remember a poster saying you don't have to id as deaf a couple of years back; she is postlingual for the record. She seemed to think that deaf conformed to this due to peer pressure.

Well by the 4th grade, I already ID'd as a deaf person and I was in mainstream after leaving the oral program. I was the only deaf in that school at the time so peer pressure wasn't a factor.

Being around the hearing is a constant reminder of my deafness so there's no escape from it.

I remember a poster saying you don't have to id as deaf a couple of years back; she is postlingual for the record. She seemed to think that deaf conformed to this due to peer pressure.

Well by the 4th grade, I already ID'd as a deaf person and I was in mainstream after leaving the oral program. I was the only deaf in that school at the time so peer pressure wasn't a factor.

Being around the hearing is a constant reminder of my deafness so there's no escape from it.

no kidding. I could pretend to be hearing all I want and still get reminded that I am deaf.

no kidding. I could pretend to be hearing all I want and still get reminded that I am deaf.

So true deafgal001, I spent my whole life, being raised oral and mainstreamed, I was taught by society to take on the pretense of being hearing. It was only last year that I finally got the wake-up call that no matter how much an expert I became at fooling people I could hear, there would always be a reminder that I was severely-deaf (it usually was in the form of ridicule, humiliation, embarrassment or frustration in communication). That's what brought me to AllDeaf. Now I am not ashamed of being deaf, it defines who I am. Thanks AllDeaf for 'being there' for me. :ty:

So true deafgal001, I spent my whole life, being raised oral and mainstreamed, I was taught by society to take on the pretense of being hearing. It was only last year that I finally got the wake-up call that no matter how much an expert I became at fooling people I could hear, there would always be a reminder that I was severely-deaf (it usually was in the form of ridicule, humiliation, embarrassment or frustration in communication). That's what brought me to AllDeaf. Now I am not ashamed of being deaf, it defines who I am. Thanks AllDeaf for 'being there' for me. :ty:

Hi BecLak,
I have noticed you starting to bloom, so to speak. It's good to see deaf repressed people finding their deaf identity when they realised it's okay to be deaf. Enjoy the journey and ignore the audists. :)
Cheers

Hi BecLak,
I have noticed you starting to bloom, so to speak. It's good to see deaf repressed people finding their deaf identity when they realised it's okay to be deaf. Enjoy the journey and ignore the audists. :)
Cheers

Thank you MD, that speaks volumes to me. I have found many new friends here, you included. :D

1. Deaf-friendly signs displayed in businesses and drive-throughs with properly-trained staff.

2. Sign Language Terps made available on request at Hospitals and other Public Service offices. Also signs displaying when your turn is next, or order is ready etc.

3. LED lights and scrolling signs notifying trains other public transport.

4. Notifications of boarding zones and times at airports.

5. Designated TV Channel for Deaf.

6. Captioning of all programs and movies made available for Deaf.

Thank you all for your participation :ty: This is what we have come up with so far.....any more ideas?

I really think the most important thing is that employers stop discriminating against deaf people who posses the skills and training that they are looking for simply because they are deaf. That is one accodomation I want changed for good.

I really think the most important thing is that employers stop discriminating against deaf people who posses the skills and training that they are looking for simply because they are deaf. That is one accodomation I want changed for good.

Very vital point, Shel.

Plus, I would also like to see Sign Language tutoring made readily available 'free of charge' to any deaf person or their family members who request it. Hearing people who want to learn sign language out of personal interest or to take on the profession of interpreters, it is only right that they should pay for classes. But for deaf and their family members it should be a free available service.

Very vital point, Shel.

Plus, I would also like to see Sign Language tutoring made readily available 'free of charge' to any deaf person or their family members who request it. Hearing people who want to learn sign language out of personal interest or to take on the profession of interpreters, it is only right that they should pay for classes. But for deaf and their family members it should be a free available service.

Yes, it should be free..to charge families of deaf children is just cruel.

Back