• completely deaf from birth

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • completely deaf but lost hearing without mother tongue learning

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • completely deaf but lost hearing after mother tongue learning

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • hard of hearing and loss is progressing gradually

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • hard of hearing and loss happened suddenly ( an illness,accident and so on)

Votes: 8 18.2%

• Total voters
Rose Immortal said:
BTW, I saw a statement here someone made, that hearing people are taught that deafness is somehow "wrong". That wasn't my experience as a hearing person, anyway. Deafness (physically, not the culture) is just a fact; it doesn't say anything about the person.

That was my comment, and growing up with the popular notion that I was hearing, that was my experience coming from my parents and other people I knew. My grandfather is pretty much deaf at this point, and he thinks of it as a disability also.

I was born hard of hearing and the cause is unknown. I spoke and hear very well then. I became severe to profoundly deaf at age 26 in 1998. I took it very hard and I don't know how my hearing husband (then boyfriend) put up with me, but we got through it. I'm doing ok and got over the bump after we got married (2001). He signs better than I. :lol:

Teresh said:
That was my comment, and growing up with the popular notion that I was hearing, that was my experience coming from my parents and other people I knew. My grandfather is pretty much deaf at this point, and he thinks of it as a disability also.

Ahh...I see. With your grandfather, did he experience the loss gradually when he got older? If he sees it as a "symptom of old age", that may have something to do with his perception.

Rose Immortal said:
Ahh...I see. With your grandfather, did he experience the loss gradually when he got older? If he sees it as a "symptom of old age", that may have something to do with his perception.

Yeah... He was hearing when he was younger. If he worse proper hearing aids instead of CICs he could probably hear a lot better than he does now, but he's stubborn and somewhat in denial about it.

Ecevit-

I was born deaf since birth. My husband was born deaf since birth, too. The cause of our deafness are unknown. It doesn't matter how we became deaf. The real truth is........

Exodus 4:11

God talked to Moses,

"Who made this person not to be sighted, who made this person not able to hear or speak?. It is I, your God".

It means that God made people to be deaf and blind on purpose.

So, God made your hearings to lose more and more. God made some babies to be completely deaf right after they were born. God made some people to lose their hearings slowly over the years. And so forth......God made many, many different ways for everyone to be different.:)

Warm Regards,
Momoftwo:)

my hearing loss in few months later after my birth, i was really sick, given medicines..

Momoftwo said:
Ecevit-

I was born deaf since birth. My husband was born deaf since birth, too. The cause of our deafness are unknown. It doesn't matter how we became deaf. The real truth is........

Exodus 4:11

God talked to Moses,

"Who made this person not to be sighted, who made this person not able to hear or speak?. It is I, your God".

It means that God made people to be deaf and blind on purpose.

So, God made your hearings to lose more and more. God made some babies to be completely deaf right after they were born. God made some people to lose their hearings slowly over the years. And so forth......God made many, many different ways for everyone to be different.:)

Warm Regards,
Momoftwo:)
Thank you for your kindly quote :)

I was born deaf and my mother had german measles....When I was growing up, I could hear with hearing aids and speak very well. Unfortunately, my left hearing has gone down competely deaf. I plan to get CI on my right hearing pretty soon in few months.

My Mum and dad became deaf with mengitis at 18 months

My older brother is hearing, and i am partly deaf but do not know how. My mum don't have any other deaf in her family past same as my dad, but my My dad's grandfather's wife's father was deaf.

I first got my hearing aid when i was 5. Lot people had tease me but got used to it, but i still get bullied at school everynow and then, my first year in High School was the hardest as i cannot hear all words people say behind me, so i alway turn around and ask them repeat and i alway got trouble, and suspended from school. But now the stupid teacher realise it was not my fault and i have not been suspend from school, this January 30th i will start Grade 12 last year of High School :D

Chajukin said:

My older brother is hearing, and i am partly deaf but do not know how. My mum don't have any other deaf in her family past same as my dad, but my My dad's grandfather's wife's father was deaf.

I first got my hearing aid when i was 5. Lot people had tease me but got used to it, but i still get bullied at school everynow and then, my first year in High School was the hardest as i cannot hear all words people say behind me, so i alway turn around and ask them repeat and i alway got trouble, and suspended from school. But now the stupid teacher realise it was not my fault and i have not been suspend from school, this January 30th i will start Grade 12 last year of High School :D

Doesn't Grovedale Sec College have deaf unit where you can get support?
By the way, good luck with year 12. ;)

Chajukin said:

Hey buddy, I have the same problems as you do. I work in a hospital and I'm always in trouble when someone talks with me. Although I wear a hearing aid it doesn't help much. I have to ask people to repeat what they say to me. It's frustrating to many people .. Most of the people around me think that I don't hear when I don't want to hear.. anyway I know I have my own world.. Good luck on your school :)

Although it was diagnosed that I had damaged hearing (Somebody had told me the formal term for this condition but I kept forgetting-- my cochella got broken hairs for SOME reason. They weren't sure if I was born with broken cochella-hairs which impairs my cochellas to "vibrate" and pass on the sounds to my brain) and was suspected it was post-birth deafness but my mother felt strongly that I was born Deaf because of my behavior as a newborn (never cried if it's noisy, acted very calm and quiet, liked/responsed to the stimulations of facial expressions and gestures).

My mother didn't get sick during pregnancy however I did get sick with chicken pox at a very young age but it was normal for infants to get chicken pox and it hadn't been proved that chicken pox can cause deafness. My mother said I was acting Deaf way before I got the pox. She also remembered that one of her paternal grandfathers (my paternal great-grandfather) was Deaf and did use his own sign language but her mother (my maternal grandmother) cannot remember if that man was Deaf his whole life or became deaf due to his age.

I was finally officially diagnosed Deaf at age 2 after my mother succeed at pressuring the doctors to conduct a hearing test on me (they denied the hearing test on me years before because "it is too early to find out, wait until she is 2 years old")... now with today's technology you can find out if your child is Deaf or not within 1 or 2 days after you pop your child out.

Most of the people around me think that I don't hear when I don't want to hear..
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYONE teases me about that. One of my away messages is even : Sara to Megan:" She's selectivly hoh.....she can hear when she wants to, even without her hearing aids!" Gee....looks like my RAs know me too well!

deafdyke said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYONE teases me about that. One of my away messages is even : Sara to Megan:" She's selectivly hoh.....she can hear when she wants to, even without her hearing aids!" Gee....looks like my RAs know me too well!
WELL-DONE :wave:
---------
by the way, what's the meaning of RA ?

I'am in Toronto, Canada.........

I was born with a 30% hearing loss, but they only found that out when I was three, so I mean how would they really know anyway?? The first ENT I went to said there wasn't anything wrong either! I'am not hitting almost 40 and have a 65% loss in both ears (not just one anymore) BUT I'am super-sensitive to loud noises in my left ear - so I only wear one hearing aid.

I think the whole thing really started as a result of all those vaccinations I had as a kid, and I do a lot of research on the Hyperacusis Network. It's incredible what the ENT's know but never share with you, it's mind-boggling! The Hyperacusis Network is at www.hyperacusis.net, it's for people sensitive to noises.

I'am stilling getting yelled at "all the time" by my family, and they started with the bubblefish talk about one year ago, thanks to the Cdn. Hearing Society and it's just so bloody irritating, besides the fact that used to trigger migraines for me, but if I door slams for example, I feel it cut like a knife in my left eye! I'd rather be deaf, to me life would me just so much easier!

About Losing Hearing Also

Hi I am also newly been deaf..I have only been deaf fro about 2 years after a bad surgery I had and I feel the same way,like I am in my own world and it is harder becasue I don't know anyone who is deaf..I only have datind men who can hear and that isn't aproblem for them but it is for me,we cant go to the moves or listen to music and most ofthem love that stuff but it is to hard for me and I cant hear then unless there is light on there face so they get really upset sometime,but I dont knowwhat to do except maybe just stop dating and stay at home..does anymore have any ideas for me please? thanks alot
LORI

califgirl1962 said:
Hi I am also newly been deaf..I have only been deaf fro about 2 years after a bad surgery I had and I feel the same way,like I am in my own world and it is harder becasue I don't know anyone who is deaf..I only have datind men who can hear and that isn't aproblem for them but it is for me,we cant go to the moves or listen to music and most ofthem love that stuff but it is to hard for me and I cant hear then unless there is light on there face so they get really upset sometime,but I dont knowwhat to do except maybe just stop dating and stay at home..does anymore have any ideas for me please? thanks alot
LORI
Hi clifgirl1962.. You have moved to another world.. a world which is mostly silent.. You're new in your new world.. You will have much trouble while you're getting used to the new world.. ( I'm hard of hearing but live mostly in half silent world )... Your friends and family will have extremely difficult occasions about your new status.. You cannot fully join many of activities as you did before.. The main point is that you have quit hearing world and entered a new world.. so try to adjust your new world.. It will open many new doors to you and ( believe me) it will enrich your life...Good luck :)

Califgirl, I was HOH for years then lost all my hearing .up until then I had only lived in the hearing world, I have found it hard to make that jump into being Deaf. Get some good lip reading classes I did and lip read well, I dont sign too good as my family wouldnt accept my deafness and I wasnt allowed to sign at home my mother told me it embarrassed her when I did it god knows why. I still date hearing guys but am selective as I find they dont really want to comit to a deafie and I have had 2 who mocked the way I spoke to their friends when I was there ie " listen to anna she sounds like she has a sock in her mouth" and other ruder things, so now I am looking for a Deaf or HOH boy friend. Dont hang onto the hearing world califgirl cos you aint never going back to it. Be proud of your deafness I am.

Back