• completely deaf from birth

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • completely deaf but lost hearing without mother tongue learning

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • completely deaf but lost hearing after mother tongue learning

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • hard of hearing and loss is progressing gradually

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • hard of hearing and loss happened suddenly ( an illness,accident and so on)

Votes: 8 18.2%

• Total voters

highlands

Premium Member
Reaction score
I wonder How many of us has become hard of hearing late in their lives.. I mean if you were born with complete hearing and have lost it to some degree and if you've been a deaf..?

I'm 30 and lost most of my hearing..I was capable of communicate ,for instance, when I was 10.. Now, even with my hearing aid, I have lots of issues..

I feel as if I were in a jail that has glass walls or as if I were trying to walk in such a narrow corridor.

What's your feelings ? if you're a late and partially hearing impaired person like me..Thanks for your contributions ...

ecevit..

I am sorry about your loss of hearings.. I became hard of hearing when i was 18 months old that i had high fever after i had DTP vaccine shots... after all those years that i felt i was held like prisoner by my mom that she was nt accept my hearing loss.. till I was 15 years old.. I had those accpunture treatments, my hard of hearing became more loss and serve profound deaf...

Now I am 40's.. I dont feel that I am in jail anymore, I accepted when i was young..
Try to accept your loss just like some of us lost or losing part of body.. ie.. blindness, arm, leg, hand.. or cancer and more.....

Being deaf is the greatest thing to have than becoming blind or losing part..
they have hearing aids, and CI..

whats more its so peaceful than hearing all those problems or loud..

DoofusMama said:
ecevit..

I am sorry about your loss of hearings.. I became hard of hearing when i was 18 months old that i had high fever after i had DTP vaccine shots... after all those years that i felt i was held like prisoner by my mom that she was nt accept my hearing loss.. till I was 15 years old.. I had those accpunture treatments, my hard of hearing became more loss and serve profound deaf...

Now I am 40's.. I dont feel that I am in jail anymore, I accepted when i was young..
Try to accept your loss just like some of us lost or losing part of body.. ie.. blindness, arm, leg, hand.. or cancer and more.....

Being deaf is the greatest thing to have than becoming blind or losing part..
they have hearing aids, and CI..

whats more its so peaceful than hearing all those problems or loud..

My mom hasn't accepted my loss either.. She tried to treat me as if I didn't have loss.. that made my life difficult.. Her sentences like ' why can't you make a telephone call ' hurt me much..
You're right.. I should become thankful for not being blind or losing part of my body..anyway I'm trying to get used to my trouble.. but I STILL want to return my childhood when I didn't have much trouble.. as in the movie : BACK TO FUTURE.. Thanks for your sharing :)

aww.. sometimes its hard to accept..

as soon you discover alot of things that you able to do or use.. like
video phone, relay online, devices for your home.. clock alarm..
the fun more if you are techology can invent your own like my brother did for me clock vibration and flasher for doorbell..
hehe.

take care bud.. :hug:

I was born hard of hearing. The degree to which I was hh is questionable, as while I know based on my experiences that if I'm hh now (and indeed my audiogram indicates I am), I've been hh my entire life. What is unknown is if my hearing has gotten much worse over the course of my life, something I don't know. While my last audiogram had the 8 kHz rating slipping to 90 dB, nothing else has changed in any noticable way since my first audiogram at 17 (great low-frequency hearing, bad to nonexistant high-frequency hearing). Hard to say if it has always been this way, but nonetheless...

My parents were either oblivious to the fact that I couldn't hear or feigned ignorance of it, which is the reason I was not diagnosed until I was 17. (Now 19.) They acted as if it were my fault at first, that I never told them that I was having difficulty understanding speech (I did, the just countered with the denial things that most hearing people going deaf say about themselves). After I said I wanted to start wearing a hearing aid (really need two, but can only afford one), my parents have slowly come to accept that I'm hh and deal with it. They never let me have CC on if they were in the room before if the show/movie/etc. was in English, but now they don't mind (or if they do, they don't prevent me from using it because they understand that I can't understand all of what is being said).

Concurrently, I've had to come to terms with the fact that I am hh, something I was in denial of for almost as long as they were. It's hard when you're raised hearing, even if you were hh the whole time because for a long time you just can't accept that you're not hearing anymore (or, as in my case, never were to begin with). You get depressed because you think that you're disabled, because hearing people are raised to believe that being deaf is wrong; deafness is a disability and whatnot.

If I didn't go to RIT/NTID, I would probably not have a hearing aid now and I probably would not have the acceptance of myself as a hard of hearing individual that I have now as a result. The presence of the RIT/NTID deaf population has in many ways opened my eyes. It has enabled me, simply by being present, to come to terms with my hearing or lack thereof. It has enabled me to learn a new language, to make new friends and to accept an aspect of myself that I would not otherwise have come to terms with as quickly. I don't love RIT for it's academics, or for the food or for its reputation factor on my resume, or its staff or my friends that go here. I love RIT for providing (unintentionally, but still providing) a means by which I can learn to accept myself.

So to answer the original question, yes, there are people here that grew up "hearing", either actually or seemingly. I'm one of them. I don't feel limited by my being hh. If I wear my hearing aid I can understand speech pretty well. If I don't, well, that's OK too because a lot of the people I converse with can sign. ;)

My mom was pregnant and got measles with me. So dr told her all kind of birth defect. So I was born deaf. My mom and my dad does accpeted who I am. As long as I am healthy.

I wonder if there's research on how well a hoh kid transistions to being deaf if they are raised with Sign.....I mean I know that about 20% of hoh kids will become deaf....sure would be interesting to see the contrast between a kid raised "hearing health" don't need ASL, mentality and a kid raised with "sign....another good tool in the toolbox" mentality

I born deaf. I got german mesales (sp) when I was in my mom's pregnant. When I born and my mom thought I am hearing till 2 weeks later on christmas day found out that I wasnt wake up from the noise. She took me to doctor to checking it up in Throld, Ontario and think I am hearing as my mom told him no it it not hearing so se took me other doctor in Toronto,Ontario that doctor said I am deaf. when on Christmas day my mom was upsetting that I cant hear anything till I am deaf and still upsetting till get use and accept who I am. :)

No Fear 23 said:
lost it when i had meningitis at age 2.

I had bacterial meningitis when I was almost 2 (one month before my 2nd birthday), and then 6 months later when I was 2, I lost a large part of my hearing.

My grandma said that, My mom was in labor for days, had so much pressure that might cause our hearing loss during our years of growing up after the day we (^Angel^ and I) were born, We started losing our hearing slowly at the age of 5, through the years to high school. I do remember hearing music when I was in junior high to high school. I can speak very well, Most people say that my spoken language is clear for them to understand. ;)

Thank y'all ... I cannot privately answer each of you .. but your feedbacks are invaluable to me
Kisses ! :)
:thumb:

I was born deaf. I had an older deaf brother, so my parents already knew about deafness and taught me sign.

I see there is no vote poll for "Born hearing first then became Deaf at very young age" I was born hearing until I was 3 months old (which made me 'pre-lingually Deaf') Became deaf from chicken pox and abscess in both ears -ruptured my eardrums. My mother is also Deaf. She was hearing until 8 years old (which made her 'post-lingually Deaf). She got hit by a car and I assumed her eardrums got ruptured too. It is just a coincidence that we became Deaf.. not from heredity. We speak very well. I hear and speak very well than my mother. But I don't consider myself hard of hearing. I tell people that I'm Deaf. I don't like to be called 'hard of hearing' because I'm culturally Deaf / big 'D' . ;)

ecevit said:
My mom hasn't accepted my loss either.. She tried to treat me as if I didn't have loss.. that made my life difficult.. Her sentences like ' why can't you make a telephone call ' hurt me much..
You're right.. I should become thankful for not being blind or losing part of my body..anyway I'm trying to get used to my trouble.. but I STILL want to return my childhood when I didn't have much trouble.. as in the movie : BACK TO FUTURE.. Thanks for your sharing :)
Have you tried VCO phone 'Voice Carry Over' ? if not, check out this link as a starter http://www.captionedtelephone.com/911psaps.phtml There are several models. You can 'google' it by typing 'voice carry over telephone'.

EyesBlueDeaf said:
I see there is no vote poll for "Born hearing first then became Deaf at very young age" I was born hearing until I was 3 months old (which made me 'pre-lingually Deaf') Became deaf from chicken pox and abscess in both ears -ruptured my eardrums. My mother is also Deaf. She was hearing until 8 years old (which made her 'post-lingually Deaf). She got hit by a car and I assumed her eardrums got ruptured too. It is just a coincidence that we became Deaf.. not from heredity. We speak very well. I hear and speak very well than my mother. But I don't consider myself hard of hearing. I tell people that I'm Deaf. I don't like to be called 'hard of hearing' because I'm culturally Deaf / big 'D' . ;)
You're hard of hearing because the 'hard of hearing' term is used for people who hear some sounds.. Even though you can only hear very loud sounds like that of jet planes you're hard of hearing .. and It's just a technical term .. sure you can define yourself to be deaf..That's your own choice.. but vote one of hard of hearing alternatives please.. Love always :)

EyesBlueDeaf said:
Have you tried VCO phone 'Voice Carry Over' ? if not, check out this link as a starter http://www.captionedtelephone.com/911psaps.phtml There are several models. You can 'google' it by typing 'voice carry over telephone'.
Thanks for the quote.. but I'm considering to get a new digital super power hearing aid which has telecoil.. Telecoil option would be of greater help to me than VCR.. I'm hard of hearing so I need quality sound aid..I'm not deaf yet .. anyway the deaf are more close to me than hearing persons.. :hug: buddy

ecevit said:
You're hard of hearing because the 'hard of hearing' term is used for people who hear some sounds.. Even though you can only hear very loud sounds like that of jet planes you're hard of hearing .. and It's just a technical term .. sure you can define yourself to be deaf..That's your own choice.. but vote one of hard of hearing alternatives please.. Love always :)
Nah, i'll vote myself as :deaf: Thanks :D

EyesBlueDeaf--That IS one heck of a coincidence about you and your mother! But I have to think that's a blessing to you, to have someone so close who understands your experiences. I'm guessing you two are very close? :)

BTW, I saw a statement here someone made, that hearing people are taught that deafness is somehow "wrong". That wasn't my experience as a hearing person, anyway. Deafness (physically, not the culture) is just a fact; it doesn't say anything about the person.

Back