ABC Hidden Cameras Catch Job Discrimination against Deaf

It just the matter how the deaf person does the job with hearing people. I'm sure many have no problems with that. There's a deaf gal who's a greeter at Red Lobster, don't see a problem with that.

I drive lot of customers back and forth in rental cars from and to branches and never had problem with that. Hearing folks here are understandable.. My co workers remind the customer that I'm deaf when we're ready to go drop off the customer to someplace. Sometimes, they point left and right to lead to the right place to drop off if I don't know where they are.

Hate to say it, but its a waitress service, if she cant get what the customer wants because she cant hear then its money lost...

Hell I would never work at a place like this because i cant hear as much as a normal hearing person, which is why I worked at a wearhouse and work at the golf coarse, both jobs dont involve much listening to customers

However, he shouldnt had made a big deal over it. Should just let her do the application then decline it on his own private time.

The applicants and the manager of the coffee shop were actors. They were trying to see how others would react as they witnessed the discrimination... and what you said about him letting her do the application and declining it on his own time is, shockingly, exactly what 3 human resources workers said to him in a whisper. It's appalling enough that anyone would think it's okay to discriminate as long as you're not vocal about it, let alone professionals in the human resources field! It was the man at the end who actually interrupted and defended the rights of these two girls. Definitely makes one realize the importance of speaking up.

I was not able to see it as I got this message instead:
"Embedding disabled by request
watch on youtube"
Does this mean I put a block on this? I am really have a lot to learn about computers!

It just means you have to go to youtube.com to watch. Try clicking on the link within the blue header box, it should take you straight there.

Hate to say it, but its a waitress service, if she cant get what the customer wants because she cant hear then its money lost...

Hell I would never work at a place like this because i cant hear as much as a normal hearing person, which is why I worked at a wearhouse and work at the golf coarse, both jobs dont involve much listening to customers

However, he shouldnt had made a big deal over it. Should just let her do the application then decline it on his own private time.

It's a kitchen job! Not a waitressing job! Kitchen help and waitressing are two very different things. You're clueless. Ever heard of order forms? Where the orders gets written on and given to the kitchen help where they cook the food and drinks? Or even just dishwashing and cleaning? It doesn't require much communication.

You're discriminating yourself.

Ummm. This is about application for a kitchen help which does not require to communicate. It is like washing the dishes and cleaning up in the kitchen. They were not looking for a waitress or waiter job at all. You are not paying much attention to the video. :roll:

When I was a child, there was a guy that worked in a pizza place as the pie maker. He was cool. He even fulfilled orders whenever it was busy. He would sign for us to point to whatever we wanted. There was never a problem. People who discriminate just because someone can't hear is on some BS.

When I was an assistant manager of a small restaurant I wouldn't have cared if wait staff had applied who were deaf. As long as they were friendly, smiled, could stand on their feet for 10 hours and showed up on time, I would have been happy.
I got wait staff that were surly, stole stuff, wanted 15 smoke breaks a day and yelled at the cooks.
If a customer had had a problem with having a deaf waiter/waitress they could have gone somewhere else. Even in todays desperate economy, we have to remember that the customer is not ALWAYS right. A friendly Deaf waiter could bring in hundreds of more dollars than me having to give away meals to people because my staff were nasty or uninformative.

The ADA has failed to protect Deaf people from this kind of discrimination.

I would suggest an overall of that law.

You guys know that the "discrimation" part that was shown in this tv show is set up and fake? They wanted to see if they can elicit a response for any nearby eavesdroppers.

If you are going to yell about how horrible the ADA is, find a real case of discrimination first. Which I am sure there are, but seems like people are gettin riled up over THIS specific event.

True, the show just shows how people accept and even support blatant discrimination against the deaf. In many of these shows, so many people stand up and protest the staged bad behavior. I've never seen one where so few people took a stand in defense of the rights of the protagonists. Was pretty sad, and also startling to see how easily employers could get around ADA: just by smiling and taking the app and writing 'not a fit'.

I can't believe the limited thinking in this statement.

That is your choice. Others have different choices. And they should not be refused an opportunity to apply for a job simply because they are deaf. If they can't fulfill job requirements, that is a different situation. But that can only be determined after an extensive interview.

So, you support people discriminating against the deaf simply because they are deaf. Good luck finding opportunity in your own life.

Are you placing limitations on yourself? You shouldn't.

BTW - warehouse and course.

Amen to this one! Just creative and think of finding a way to make it easier and educating those people who have not familiarze themselve how to approach any kind of disabled people. come on. i believe is what to try anything until you see the new problem and adjust it and fix it somehow.

I knew these were actors and I STILL got teary-eyed.

If an applicant has a disability that can be reasonably accommodated and he/she is qualified and can perform the essential duties of his/her job, then they shouldn't be disqualified. Ugh.

If the applicant could not lip read, would you think any different?

I knew these were actors and I STILL got teary-eyed.

If an applicant has a disability that can be reasonably accommodated and he/she is qualified and can perform the essential duties of his/her job, then they shouldn't be disqualified. Ugh.

If the applicant could not lip read, would you think any different?

I know :) -- it really got to me, too.

Back