ABC Hidden Cameras Catch Job Discrimination against Deaf

GrendelQ

41°17′00″N 70°04′58″W
Premium Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this has already been in discussion, I've seen it mentioned elsewhere, just not here:

• ABC News - What Would You Do (with sound): [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJcAymTu-CE]YouTube - ABCNews's Channel[/ame]
  • With captions from Joey Baer's site (with very little sound): [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdzGM464bPY]YouTube - What Would You Do? Discriminate Against Deaf Video[/ame]
  • Behind the scenes at NTID: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iMyvGvOGHY]YouTube - Deaf Discrimination: Behind the Scenes at ABC's "What Would You Do?"[/ame]

Wow! I have never seen this before. I can't imagine it... Thanks for sharing with us.

Hate to say it, but its a waitress service, if she cant get what the customer wants because she cant hear then its money lost...

Hell I would never work at a place like this because i cant hear as much as a normal hearing person, which is why I worked at a wearhouse and work at the golf coarse, both jobs dont involve much listening to customers

However, he shouldnt had made a big deal over it. Should just let her do the application then decline it on his own private time.

Hate to say it, but its a waitress service, if she cant get what the customer wants because she cant hear then its money lost...

Hell I would never work at a place like this because i cant hear as much as a normal hearing person, which is why I worked at a wearhouse and work at the golf coarse, both jobs dont involve much listening to customers

However, he shouldnt had made a big deal over it. Should just let her do the application then decline it on his own private time.

Ummm. This is about application for a kitchen help which does not require to communicate. It is like washing the dishes and cleaning up in the kitchen. They were not looking for a waitress or waiter job at all. You are not paying much attention to the video. :roll:

Ummm. This is about application for a kitchen help which does not require to communicate. It is like washing the dishes and cleaning up in the kitchen. They were not looking for a waitress or waiter job at all. You are not paying much attention to the video. :roll:

Oh my bad! I thought it was from taking orders and serving the people in the restaurant.
I assumed applation for the coffee shop was including the services.

My friend asked me to work at Moes Mexican restaurant last year because they have good pay/hour, but i asked, where would I be working, he said, behind the counter taking orders in what the customer wants on their tacos. I just laughed and said, I'd be fired within a week bud!

Oh my bad! I thought it was from taking orders and serving the people in the restaurant.

My friend asked me to work at Moes Mexican restaurant last year because they have good pay/hour, but i asked, where would I be working, he said, behind the counter taking orders in what the customer wants on their tacos. I just laughed and said, I'd be fired within a week bud!

Wow, your friend forgot that you can not hear. That is Audist for him. :P

Are you placing limitations on yourself? You shouldn't.

BTW - warehouse and course.

I would had took that job.

You guys telling me that you would have no problems taking a job that would require a crap load of hearing and chances are, you will get the order wrong many times?
Being real here, I dont wanna work at a job that requires a lot of listening because it would be tiring, and i would waste time getting orders wrong.

You guys telling me that you would have no problems taking a job that would require a crap load of hearing and chances are, you will get the order wrong many times?

There are many ways for both parties to meet each other's communication needs. You seem to have a way of thinking that being hearing is the only way to go. There are so many solutions to every challenge.

Being real here, I dont wanna work at a job that requires a lot of listening because it would be tiring, and i would waste time getting orders wrong.

I have bartended at a full bar before... Wasnt a problem. Matter of fact I think I did better than the hearing bartender.

I have bartended at a full bar before... Wasnt a problem. Matter of fact I think I did better than the hearing bartender.

I admire someone like you who went against the odds. WAY TO GO!!! Show everyone who thinks "this is impossible without being able to hear" that they are limiting themselves.

This is a good video.

I like those "What Would You Do?" shows. :)

The deaf person can have a waitress position. It's a matter of lip-reading or the customer pointing at items on the menu. A lot of restaurants have very detailed menus such as what toppings are on the hamburger or what sides are provided. Customers can point out what they want... they can even point and shake their heads what they want excluded from their order. I have a lot of friends who worked waitress positions.

I even have friends who worked at video rental stores. Even I worked at a video rental store. I always had a hearing co-worker working with me. So, if there was something I couldn't understand... my co-worker would help me out. I was manager and still had no problems.

My current job requires me to participate in conference calls. I have no problem doing it since I use VP relay. I just call relay, give them the password and my name for the call, then just sit there watching the whole call. :)

Back