A Techie Thread About Absolutely Nothing!

Yeah - It was for the 3.5 inch floppy. I still have packed up somewhere in the garage, an old, old, old, Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 1, Model 2 and Model3, not to mention Color Computer (CoCo). They took the 5.25 and 12 inch really floppies. The CoCo used a tape recorder and had no disk drives. I also have my old Daisy Wheel printer and all the print balls.

Now that brings back memories!!

Seems I have a new unexplained and un-related (I think) problem with my netbook. I'm ready to just trash and burn it totally for all the trouble I've had lately.

Seems I have a new unexplained and un-related (I think) problem with my netbook. I'm ready to just trash and burn it totally for all the trouble I've had lately.

Kristina, do you have a second story to your house? :lol:

Kristina, do you have a second story to your house? :lol:

No, unfortunately! Can't in this neighborhood, the airport is too close. Wish I did though - It would really take care of the situation.

maybe mail it to me?

maybe mail it to me?

What - you want to fix it?

It won't even boot up now. Just gets stuck. Naisho and I just did a major clean up and got it running really well, now a week later I get this.

Here the issue:

On Monday this week, I installed drivers on the netbook for an HP CD-Writer 8200e for an external CD drive I had. It is a somewhat older CD drive, but worked fine. It was a little "rusty" from not being used for 2 years or so, but I was able to play a music CD and use my ASL CD's like I wanted. Son then asked if he could use it and if he could try to install a game he has that won't run on my XP. Disciples II Gold. It took a little bit to install them, but it was the CD drive still working out kinks or something. The game ran fine for him afterwards.

Monday evening, son, MIL and I went to our weight loss group. Daughter then used the netbook. She went under my login and used FireFox and went to YouTube. The netbook froze and locked up and she shut it off. After we got home from weight loss, son then used the netbook and used his login and using FireFox, went to YouTube. It again froze up and locked up. Son waited for 15 minutes and nothing happened. He shut it off. Control-Alt-Delete did not work.

On Tuesday, son went to turn on the netbook, it goes straight to the screen to ask if you want to go to safe mode and all. When we say login in like usual, it freezes up. If I go to safe mode, I get the running list of programs or whatever and then freezes up. It cannot get to Windows. Would you like me to use my webcam and make a video of the process or do you understand?

I don't know if it's the Disciples II Gold or the drivers for my CD-Writer or my ASL programs that did this. I don't think it's an issue with FireFox and Youtube since a lot of people use FireFox and Youtube, right?

Time to replace XP with Windows 7

Possibly, but I don't have the money. My netbook has XP and my desktop has Vista. Naisho thinks it might have a problem with overheating, but he's not sure yet.

I am going to install Ubuntu 10.4 on my second computer this weekend. :D

Ubuntu is another open source operating system.
Thats correct.. Ubuntu sometime help to booting it if could not boot into windows which been corrupted by itself. And it would let you back up all important data while having full access to the system before erase windows. ;)

Why install Ubuntu while you have Mac OS X. :D Ubuntu and Mac OS X are brothers...the only major difference is the windows manager and the GUI. They both behave in the similar way.

Why install Ubuntu while you have Mac OS X. :D Ubuntu and Mac OS X are brothers...the only major difference is the windows manager and the GUI. They both behave in the similar way.
in Church, people screaming: AMEN! ;)

sometime Linux is cure for boot it up and fix windows without send pc directly computer shop, if windows itself refused boot, due virus or corruption files... correct me if I'm wrong..

in Church, people screaming: AMEN! ;)

sometime Linux is cure for boot it up and fix windows without send pc directly computer shop, if windows itself refused boot, due virus or corruption files... correct me if I'm wrong..

Yeah, when I reformatted a Dell PC with a fresh copy of Windows Xp...guess what? It took around 2 weeks to get viruses and all that shit without virus protection. :shock: That's one of the reason why I refuse to own a Windows based PC. I don't want to deal with scanning for viruses, malware, etc.

I bought the Mac Mini brand new on Feb 2010 and still runs fast, it's that simple. Why spend $$ on virus protection while you can run any UNIX variety without any major issues.

Yeah, when I reformatted a Dell PC with a fresh copy of Windows Xp...guess what? It took around 2 weeks to get viruses and all that shit without virus protection. :shock: That's one of the reason why I refuse to own a Windows based PC. I don't want to deal with scanning for viruses, malware, etc.

I bought the Mac Mini brand new on Feb 2010 and still runs fast, it's that simple. Why spend $$ on virus protection while you can run any UNIX variety without any major issues.

There is best free anti-virus program offered by MS is MS Security Essentials, it won't slow my PC or interrupt any programs, such as mods and trainers.

Never spend $$$$$ on anti-virus programs and they are no help.

Hate to say, XP sucks and they are security holes.

1) Yeah, when I reformatted a Dell PC with a fresh copy of Windows Xp...guess what? It took around 2 weeks to get viruses and all that shit without virus protection. :shock: That's one of the reason why I refuse to own a Windows based PC. I don't want to deal with scanning for viruses, malware, etc.

2) I bought the Mac Mini brand new on Feb 2010 and still runs fast, it's that simple. Why spend $$ on virus protection while you can run any UNIX variety without any major issues.

1) I have few 'Q' for you, You mention that You reformatted a Dell PC with fresh of windows XP, Did you use dell CD factory software included window XP?

I don't have a deal with virus or malware software. because virus software cause my pc doom as BSOD. malware sometime give false alert/ information.. I did not use those on my pc without problems since 2000 or 2001.

2) Congrats you got cute Mac Mini.. I agree with your quote "Ubuntu and Mac OS X are brothers...the only major difference is the windows manager and the GUI. They both behave in the similar way." I honestly thinking Mac OSX is better performance over Linux, If I wanted the completed linux OS on PC, I would buy MAC OSX instead of it.

But whoever can't afford to buy or don't want to spend on MAC, then get the full Linux or dual booth and have tweak & customize it on his or her own. ;) Let be honest , Linux is great factor for internet and media ..

Back