A Techie Thread About Absolutely Nothing!

Try pressing F8 repeatedly after the BIOS screen finishes loading and starts on the next load sequence. It is the screen right before the black Windows XP logo loading screen comes out. Keep pressing F8, and most likely you should be able to get it. You may have to spam it if your netbook loads quickly.

Okay - got into safe mode (thank you very very much) and am now installing the program I downloaded. It says it is a "spyware doctor". Is that right?

Good job. Hmm... I don't think it should say spyware doctor.. Doesn't sound right.

Here is the exact links to the downloads to save you the trouble. Either one are the same.

http://download.bleepingcomputer.co...e27d3c34c7915a0080c813f/4c5ef2b9/ComboFix.exe

http://www.forospyware.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe

There's a guide with pictures at bleepingcomputer's site with how the process should look like, and detailed information:
A guide and tutorial on using ComboFix

Good luck, I am sure you can do this.

Naisho, you live for people like us who need a little help. :D You are awesome, you know!

Too early for positive approval.. I gotta wait till KristinaB's all good before letting her go. Helping people I know better is a bonus rather than corporate figureheads. :ugh2:

Has it started on the cleaning process yet? Hopefully.. :| Check the activity LED on the laptop, if it at least blinks in non-sequential format from time to time.

Too early for positive approval.. I gotta wait till KristinaB's all good before letting her go. Helping people I know better is a bonus rather than corporate figureheads. :ugh2:

Has it started on the cleaning process yet? Hopefully.. :| Check the activity LED on the laptop, if it at least blinks in non-sequential format from time to time.

It's blinking ever so slightly, but blinking. Still running.

Edit: Should I let it go to screen saver?

I have turned off screen saver and disconnected the mouse. Hopefully it won't take all night.

If it has been over 2-3 hours.. that's really unusual. Never happened very often unless the system is really bogged down. Most I've had to wait on combofix was ~2 hours on an older PC. I hope it is still working on it.

Leaving screensaver is fine, it shouldn't affect but you wouldn't be able to see progress cuz it'll redraw the screen slowly if it is lagging. If it is a laser mouse, you can put it over something like a paper or styrofoam cup or something that will let it wobble slightly with table movement. Or you can just hang it in midair and let it swing like a pendulum. :P Some of the things I picked up at work..

The blinking is beginning to get a little stronger. Not much, but a little. I gotta go cook dinner, will check it every so often.

In case you didn't read in the other thread. My netbook is fixed. Thank you Naisho.

Too many viruses and Trojan Horse crap and some "worms". Guess the little netbook was hungry. :giggle:

Son kept forgetting to let the update to the anti-virus run. Also, wasn't careful on where he clicked.

Lol, call me crazy but I have installed Windows 95 on a virtual machine.

Hard to believe so much have changed over the course of 15 years.

Lol, call me crazy but I have installed Windows 95 on a virtual machine.

Hard to believe so much have changed over the course of 15 years.

Win 95? Try Windows 3.11.

I found Win 98 and Windows 98 with plug OME from box. so I just throw them away from last year.

Win 95? Try Windows 3.11.

I found Win 98 and Windows 98 with plug OME from box. so I just throw them away from last year.

or System 7 aka Mac OS 7.
system7.gif

We recently got rid of an old IBM that the processor was a 486/33 with Win 95. Got rid of it since the CD drive and the "A" drive both died and we couldn't replace them. The motherboard was too old for the replacement.

We recently got rid of an old IBM that the processor was a 486/33 with Win 95. Got rid of it since the CD drive and the "A" drive both died and we couldn't replace them. The motherboard was too old for the replacement.

"A" drive is floppy disk, I know that. :D

Wow! 486! I remember when that was considered to be fast!

Been a long time since I've heard "486"

"A" drive is floppy disk, I know that. :D

Yeah - It was for the 3.5 inch floppy. I still have packed up somewhere in the garage, an old, old, old, Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 1, Model 2 and Model3, not to mention Color Computer (CoCo). They took the 5.25 and 12 inch really floppies. The CoCo used a tape recorder and had no disk drives. I also have my old Daisy Wheel printer and all the print balls.

Back