A recommended fire alarm for a deep sleeper?

A couple of solutions

Early in life I used light bulbs to wake up. I got "flasher buttons" from the hardware store. They just go in the socket, then you screw in the light bulb. It makes the bulb flash even with constant power. Hooked it to a timer to serve as alarm clock. Power in dorms does not fail that often, and I moved around for years with the contraption that was just 3 of these flasher things with 100 watt bulbs. Woke even me up reliably. Could also pick up door bell, via a relay. I am sure a simple relay could interface something like this to a fire alarm and all parts are hardware store stuff.

Now that I live in a house I built, things are more complicated. A big strobe light in every room running off a common power supply and microcontroller. Also has LED lights in every room like you can get for RVs. Runs off big batteries in case of power failure. I figured it out - it uses 250,000 watts. Of course, the flash is only for 10 microseconds, so mean power consumption is not that much, but it is still one honking big cable from my solar batteries. Works for burglar, fire, tornado, alarm clock, doorbell and phone. For lesser alerts, such as freezer temperature, excess water usages, or fax arrival, it just uses the LED lights and a single CFL lamp in my office.

Even so, I have to flash up on the screen when there was an alert, because even then, if I am looking closely at something bright, I might miss an entire event. That and head in the pillow are actually tough problems to solve completely.

I see I am not the only one who had to roll-their-own. Stuff you really need is just not available. Somebody should sell good, powerful whole-house strobe systems that hook to a small laptop or PC for control. They should use a wall wart for power and also take a battery. Wireless network for control. Most people do not want to run all kinds of wires in their house.

I'm looking for the carbon dioxide and smoke detector alarm that can signal to my clock alarm (SB1005WV) and wireless doorbell signaler (DB200) both brand are Sonic Alert, anyone know which one is the best?

Almost all carbon monoxide alarm designed for Deaf were run by transmitter and receiver (Wireless), and I can't find reliable one, and they are OVERpriced. Don't forget carbon monoxide alarm has limited lifespan, usually 5 or 7 years, very few can 10 years. After that, Carbon monoxide alarm will not be able to detect CM properly. Now with only 5 or maybe 7 if your lucky to find one, it will cost you minimum 200 dollars to replace every 5/7 years.

That is why I decided its cheapest for long term investment by doing hardwired, and using relay modules. I would change CM detector every 7 years and they cost me only 40 bucks. Relay modules rarely wears out. They are all tied with smoke detectors, VP signaler, and doorbell with different flashing patterns so we can identify what its calling for. The system I have is almost 20 years old and I have not had any issues.

Silent Call

Hi this is Lisa from Silent Call - our systems can connect to the fire panel in your dorm. Our product is used in many schools across the country.
If you need further assistance one of our technicians will be able to help you 248 673-7353 or you can e-mail them directly at technicalsupport@silentcall.com Hope that this info helps.. if you need anything else feel free to e-mail me directly at lisa@silentcall.com

Back