A recommended fire alarm for a deep sleeper?

Reaction score
I have been fighting with my dorm director and clearly, they're claiming they cannot provide a fire alarm vibration and acted like it doesn't exist. I already know it exist and have told them. The other dorm director claimed that it is weak and does not provide benefit from what I am requesting for my accommodation and he checked it by ADA.

So, I asked if it's possible if I could find one to buy that has a vibration and see if they could put it in for me. They said it is possible if we can manage to connect my special accommodation for fire alarm I need.

So, I looked on Harris Communications site and found this ---> Silent Call Signature Series Fire Alarm Kit with Smoke Detector, Sidekick Receiver and Bed Shaker Assistive and Hearing Aids Products - Deaf, Hearing Loss, Sign Language

However, there is no reviews and I can't really know if it going to benefit me. Can it still connect to the dorm's fire alarm? If so, how?

If you do not know this device, do you have a recommended device that would work out for me? I am a deep sleeper and whenever the fire alarm goes off, the strobe is easy for me to ignore in my sleep - especially when it's right next to my bed about 7 feet on the wall. My parents are willing to buy 200 to 300 dollars for these things. I rather be safe than sorry - considering my dorm did have a serious fire alarm with actual fire. I was just glad I wasn't there at the time.

I use silent call. I have one in my bedroom, office, and one in the kitchen/living room. It's rigged to the doorbell and the fire alarm. It reliably wakes me up to anything. It also comes with an optional watch if you want more to wake up to.

Check in though again about ADA and if the dorm will provide these. They really should - all public locations and residences I BELIEVE should have adaptive safety devices like fire alarms. I know that work places need them if they have more than 15 employees....

Connect the smoke alarm to a train horn, you'll be up in no time!

Have the Sidekick and the wireless smoke alarm, had it for about 4 months now. The tests are always good but thankfully I never had a real life episode yet so I cant comment on that. My only gripe about the system is there isnt a CO2 detector option for it and the Alarm clock doesnt have a snooze.

There is CO2 alarm accommodate for Deafies, only problem is that it is not cheap. I had custom build one, in mind that the trigger part is permanent part of the system, that way I can replace the basic CO2 detector every 5-7 years, depending on brand, mine is 7 years. Now you see why CO2 detectors with transmitter is way too expensive, everything is built in and you have to replace it every 5 years.

I just video how it works, that CO2 shows fire, but really it is CO2 not smoke detector. LOL

Might post video somehow.
http://youtu.be/x8PjDF5-E1A

Connect the smoke alarm to a train horn, you'll be up in no time!

I had friend that could had done this. He hook up his TV to a light switch so he could turn the TV of or off from bed . Remote control where not out yet.

There is CO2 alarm accommodate for Deafies, only problem is that it is not cheap. I had custom build one, in mind that the trigger part is permanent part of the system, that way I can replace the basic CO2 detector every 5-7 years, depending on brand, mine is 7 years. Now you see why CO2 detectors with transmitter is way too expensive, everything is built in and you have to replace it every 5 years.

I just video how it works, that CO2 shows fire, but really it is CO2 not smoke detector. LOL

Might post video somehow.
http://youtu.be/x8PjDF5-E1A

This video is private.

Boo!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW9IQou5xkA]Product Review: Sonic Bomb Alarm Clock - YouTube[/ame]

there is CC on this

If you want to call "automatic captions" CC. I think most of you know what quality "automatic captions" equals.

More to the point, what is the point of a spoken language review for a product for deaf people?

Especially without being properly captioned.

More to the point, what is the point of a spoken language review for a product for deaf people?

Especially without being properly captioned.

You made me think of something. Could it have been intended for hearing parents buying for deaf kids to get the kids going on their own? With the caption situation I don't know what he was trying to tell us.

So, I looked on Harris Communications site and found this ---> Silent Call Signature Series Fire Alarm Kit with Smoke Detector, Sidekick Receiver and Bed Shaker Assistive and Hearing Aids Products - Deaf, Hearing Loss, Sign Language

However, there is no reviews and I can't really know if it going to benefit me. Can it still connect to the dorm's fire alarm? If so, how?

If you do not know this device, do you have a recommended device that would work out for me? I am a deep sleeper and whenever the fire alarm goes off, the strobe is easy for me to ignore in my sleep - especially when it's right next to my bed about 7 feet on the wall. My parents are willing to buy 200 to 300 dollars for these things. I rather be safe than sorry - considering my dorm did have a serious fire alarm with actual fire. I was just glad I wasn't there at the time.
I think you can call the store by VP so you may be able to get answers from them. That's an easy way to find out.

Right, I did that, I am certified Electrician. I designed my house as very Deaf friendly. I wired everything and tied up everything.

When I had my wood stove installed with permit. City thought I had nothing (Alarm). I had to prove them that I got the system. When Inspector came in, she dropped her jaw when she saw how my system works. Smoke, CO2, doorbell, and VP flasher were tied together. ;)

If anyone wants like my system, I may have to ask at least $1,500 for materials and labor. I can install them. The only issue with that is that it is somewhat part of the house, cant take it with when move. On other hand it is great if plan live in house for a darn long time.

I have three wired fire alarms with a built-in strobe light installed by a licensed electrican. It cost my landlord $1,000 just for labor.

Right, I did that, I am certified Electrician. I designed my house as very Deaf friendly. I wired everything and tied up everything.

When I had my wood stove installed with permit. City thought I had nothing (Alarm). I had to prove them that I got the system. When Inspector came in, she dropped her jaw when she saw how my system works. Smoke, CO2, doorbell, and VP flasher were tied together. ;)

If anyone wants like my system, I may have to ask at least $1,500 for materials and labor. I can install them. The only issue with that is that it is somewhat part of the house, cant take it with when move. On other hand it is great if plan live in house for a darn long time.

I saw in home network show that deaf-friendly system would actually raise the home value.

Hmm. Maybe I can build it for travel friendly.

Back