A Question.

I used Harlan Lane in an undergrad academic paper on Deaf Education v. Mainstreaming Deaf Children. My professor said it was very informative and very thorough. It also opened my eyes a bit being d/hh myself and also mainstreamed. After reading his material, I finally understood my childhood a bit better and why I had the reactions I had and why my hearing classmates had the reactions they had.

Harlan Lane knows his stuff without a doubt. I just wish my library had his more recent stuff.

One of his that I love is The Mask of Benevolence.

tom a 56: If you can find Harlan Lane's book: A Journey into the DEAF WORLD read the chapters on the "oppression of the deaf by hearing people effected by ENT Doctors etc. Even a section on Cochlear implants being " an instrument of genocide towards the Deaf community" The book was written in the early 90s.
An interesting footnote: Harlan Lane is Hearing when the book was published-today?

I am bilateral DEAF since December 2006.

Implanted Sunnybrook/Toronto Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

It isn't a good idea to take chapters out of context. The chapters are there for a purpose. One builds on the other.

As for Harlan Lane's chapters re: "oppression of the deaf" etc- It struck me as odd being a DEAF person by a hearing person which he is. He tried to transfer from Sociology-"racial difficulties" into hearing interaction. Does all late
deafened persons PRIOR to becoming DEAF experience "oppression from the hearing community"?
From Michael Chorost's book Rebuilt the comments by Mr Attelio of US-National Association of the Deaf changing Lanes ideas there. He was the chairman/person that took 3 years to revise.NAD's ideas-- Cochlear Implants.

One can read varied discussions here in Alldeaf.com re"oral/vs cultural deaf/Deaf/DEAF".

I have a thought, one I've only discovered recently. People (myself at one time) think deaf means you cannot hear at all. But many deaf people can hear some things, or they can hear with hearing aids or CIs. They're still deaf.

I believe it's more widely known that "legally blind" means that a person can still see, but cannot drive or read small print, etc. I have not heard a like term used much for the deaf community, which might help clear up some misconceptions.

I know it wasn't until I started coming to AD that I learned this. I think others would benefit from knowing this as well.

As for Harlan Lane's chapters re: "oppression of the deaf" etc- It struck me as odd being a DEAF person by a hearing person which he is. He tried to transfer from Sociology-"racial difficulties" into hearing interaction. Does all late
deafened persons PRIOR to becoming DEAF experience "oppression from the hearing community"?
From Michael Chorost's book Rebuilt the comments by Mr Attelio of US-National Association of the Deaf changing Lanes ideas there. He was the chairman/person that took 3 years to revise.NAD's ideas-- Cochlear Implants.

One can read varied discussions here in Alldeaf.com re"oral/vs cultural deaf/Deaf/DEAF".

What the f*** are you talking about?

Michael Chorost's book is not pertinent to the question asked by the OP. :roll: He didn't ask what CI users thought of their CI.

There are no DEAF here. That is something you have manufactured. LOL

I've actually learned a lot in the thread I started:

AllDeaf.com > Deaf Community > Our World, Our Culture Deaf or HoH?

There are even misconceptions within the deaf community! SneakerNet was actually whapped upside the head because he used the phone after identifying himself as deaf. (He's deaf, but can hear with hearing aids.) It would be helpful for others to know that deaf has varying levels. Some cannot be helped with hearing aids or CIs, some do not feel the need explore these options at all.

There are no DEAF here just "hard of Hearing"-really? Is silence just "hard of hearing"?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

I didn't say that. Varying levels includes no hearing. But deaf isn't always NO hearing.

There are no DEAF here just "hard of Hearing"-really? Is silence just "hard of hearing"?

It was meant to be, that there are no DEAF here, but there are deaf and Deaf. Stop with the all caps "DEAF". That's what there isn't.

Who uses the designation DEAF? drphil and people who think yelling at someone who can't hear will help. Nope. You've got Deaf here, you have deaf here, you have hearing here, you even have one or two deaf that claim to hear like a hearing person with their device. But DEAF? Nope. Don't exist except in your mind.

Let's not mislead this young man in his attempt to understand and write a dissertation on the topic, drphil. He doesn't need you adding confusion into his task.

Cough cough...some us put certain people ignore...not work if everyone insist quote them! Lol.

I was beginning to think DEAF was some kinda super secret acronym...

Um...

Doing
Everything
Always
Lefty?

Decided
Everyone
Almost
Laughs?

Droughts (checkers)
Envelop
All
Languages

Last edited:
Don't
Even
Ask
For...

Donuts
Eaten
Are
Forever?

Texas Hold'um on the brain?

More like hyper- whinny non-verbal two-year old... since 5:00 AM...

...and cold meds ... Usually meds work backwards (depressants/seditives make me hyper, and stimulants make me sleepy ... Yeah ASD... ) but they didn't work backwards today...

Thank you all for your helpful and interesting comments on this, it's really helped me while creating my study and with further reading. I will hopefully be uploading the questionnaire for my dissertation on-line within the next couple of weeks and it would be great if you could take part in it and perhaps pass it on to as many people as possible, I will create a new thread for this.

Thank you again for your comments.

I think when some hearing people find out you're deaf or HOH is give them the permission to YELL at you!

Back