A question...is the Cochlear implant made for the hearing or for the deaf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He just wants to be right. Don't let him ruin your weekend...tomorrow's another day for the beach! :D

Oh, no way would I let him do that ;) I'm not sitting behind my key board gnashing my teeth, I am smh though

aw so cute.... a bunch of you guys butt-patting each other and ganging up on me to turn this thread into a farce. we all know where this is going and this is what you do in just about all deaf-related threads. you've just proved my point that you're not and were never interested in a fruitful conversation. nobody said anything about CI being a failure. it's a fact that CI will never eliminate deafness and that's beside the point.

just note that you have never answered Grummer's question. instead... you label us off as a bunch of angry deaf militiant. not sure why are you even in this thread.

aw so cute.... a bunch of you guys butt-patting each other and ganging up on me to turn this thread into a farce. we all know where this is going and you've just proved my point that you're not and were never interested in a fruitful conversation. nobody said

just note that you have never answered Grummer's question. instead... you label us off as a bunch of angry deaf militiant. not sure why are you even in this thread.

At least you're feeling better...Happy belated 4th....

aw so cute.... a bunch of you guys butt-patting each other and ganging up on me to turn this thread into a farce. we all know where this is going and this is what you do in just about all deaf-related threads. you've just proved my point that you're not and were never interested in a fruitful conversation. nobody said anything about CI being a failure. it's a fact that CI will never eliminate deafness and that's beside the point.

Every single one of us answered his question. You're starting crap, not us. See I like grummer, I wouldn't pick a fight with him. :D you just don't understand discussion. Apparently you think that's when everybody agrees. Read his post again Jiro, seriously

Every single one of us answered his question. You're starting crap, not us. See I like grummer, I wouldn't pick a fight with him. :D you just don't understand discussion. Apparently you think that's when everybody agrees. Read his post again Jiro, seriously

*shrug* sure sure.

Anyway, first of all, Hearing people view the same hearing loss as the inability to listen to music, to talk on the phone, to interact with the population at large.However, it is pointed out that “cochlear implants do not, and likely will not, eliminate deafness altogether. An individual who has an implant is still deaf” which is quite correct as when... an attempt for the hearing to converse with implanted children, it is often the case that it is so gaarbled that you cannot pretend to understood their speech. It was simply difficult (as morphed hearing gives away as morphed speech - sound familiar? anyone?!). So many parents visiting school (to meet implanted children) communicated in sign or through an interpreter who had become attuned to their pronunciation.

I must wonder about the efficiency, or rather effectuality of the implants...which prompts me to beg a question to which i wish to ask others here...
is the is the Cochlear implant made for the hearing or for the

but please try keep it real short (and civil!)

Thanks folks.
Grum

Here you've quoted every part of his post except this part, the pertinent part. I left the part about keeping it short and civil though :D

*shrug* sure sure.

Not surprised you've missed that, considering you do a lot of talking instigating and name calling but not much actual reading ;)

Here you've quoted every part of his post except this part, the pertinent part. I left the part about keeping it short and civil though :D

here -

However, it is pointed out that “cochlear implants do not, and likely will not, eliminate deafness altogether.

do you agree or disagree?

Not surprised you've missed that, considering you do a lot of talking instigating and name calling but not much actual reading ;)

I've never missed it. I'm just patting on your head and nodding my head while your lips are moving around.

i'm curious for some of your answers, but please try keep it real short (and civil!)

Thanks folks.
Grum

Re-read this section of Grummer's original post he asked for answers not bickering peeps.

Pffft I'm not the one that looks like a bonehead. But I'm done interrupting you. G'night

My dr said it could be an option for me at my last visit. I chose no for now at least, but when I was weighing the option, I thought about both the benefit for me as well as the benefit for my family. So I guess you could say maybe for both hearing and deaf?

My dr said it could be an option for me at my last visit. I chose no for now at least, but when I was weighing the option, I thought about both the benefit for me as well as the benefit for my family. So I guess you could say maybe for both hearing and deaf?

but is it a benefit for you or for them? that's a big decision you have to make so that there's no resentment and regret as long as there's no unrealistic expectation.

Yes I think it might be a benefit for me maybe and help me, especially at work and when I'm in public by myself, or when I'm around big gatherings and lots of people talking at once so that I wouldn't miss put on so much of what is going on. I also think it could make things easier for my family which was something that I considered when thinking about it. But mainly, I was thinking about the my own needs first. I decided against it for now for many different reasons.

For me it's both. I admit my main reason for getting a CI was so that I could continue to speak with my elderly mother. My CI helps me but helps my family even more. Yes it is still a struggle to have a conversation but I get more from that then just writing back and forth.
At times I do get frustrated that I am the one doing all the work. It gives me a major headache and increases my tinnitus..

It would be great if my family would learn some ASL, it's just not going to happen. Everyone is too set in their ways.

Yes I think it might be a benefit for me maybe and help me, especially at work and when I'm in public by myself, or when I'm around big gatherings and lots of people talking at once so that I wouldn't miss put on so much of what is going on. I also think it could make things easier for my family which was something that I considered when thinking about it. But mainly, I was thinking about the my own needs first. I decided against it for now for many different reasons.

A very good friend of mine chose 2 CIs. He loves them. He was born deaf and went to deaf schools. Now his favorite hobby is listening to music. Says he hears everything well. Granted he never experienced unaided hearing so he can't really compare. But he seems to find great pleasure in what he can hear now.

you'll be ready when you are so that there's no "maybe" in your answer :)

My CI is so far from me being able to listen to music. I can't watch tv or use the phone either. Also noisy places drive me crazy and my hearing level drops significantly. Every person is so different.

I am curious about who pays for CI whether it's a success or a failure. It'd better not come from our taxes. I heard that some of the VRs pay for hearing aids. VR is under the state government, therefore we, taxpayers pay for their HAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back