A question...is the Cochlear implant made for the hearing or for the deaf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't work for some, but that's not the case for all, that's a fact

right but your question is irrelevant to this thread... or was it to inflame another farce?

beside - it's not what Grummer's asking for. he never said CI doesn't work.

it doesn't work for handful of deafies and that's a fact.

Then you don't need to have this operation yourself but there are plenty of families that do want this and they're pleased with the results. The fact that many in the deaf community think it's not so, doesn't change anything. Every family is entitled to decide what's best for them. No one tells you how to live your life and those that choose this option are entitled to the same respect.

I need no introduction and I would like to ask some of you for your thoughts on the intention of this invention - the cochlear implant.

Is it for the benefit of the Deaf? or for the benefit of the hearing?

hmm good question.

1. I would say CI is a benefit for hearing parents with deaf-born baby. This is where I'm seeing more and more deafies not benefiting from it largely due to unrealistic expectation set by their parents.

2. If a deafie feels he/she will benefit from hearing... go for it. JClarke's the latest ADer to go for it and he has our full support.

Then you don't need to have this operation yourself but there are plenty of families that do want this and they're pleased with the results. The fact that many in the deaf community think it's not so, doesn't change anything. Every family is entitled to decide what's best for them. No one tells you how to live your life and those that choose this option are entitled to the same respect.

I'm not interested in what the family feels. Their feeling is of no concern to me. I'm much more concerned with how a deafie feels about it.

And... why are you being so harky at me? Sounds like you're blaming me for your problem or something. :confused:

right but your question is irrelevant to this thread... or was it to inflame another farce?

beside - it's not what Grummer's asking for. he never said CI doesn't work.

???? So you're saying he made it sound like they work? :cool2: care to read it again? And no I wasn't, I was asking a simple question, that yes, was completely relevant to his post if you actually read it and think about. He basically said they don't work, so why do they get them, is it for us or them. But since they do in fact work, for a large number if people, that puts into question doubt of the reasoning behind the question. Capiche?

I'm not interested in what the family feels. Their feeling is of no concern to me. I'm much more concerned with how a deafie feels about it.

Well, there's the problem. I'm not blaming you for anything. I'm just saying it's not your concern (the deaf community) what other families decide for themselves. I think that's where all the anger comes from among the deaf. As a group, you really seem to resent when people disagree, and personalize it. Having or not having a CI is a private family matter. I'm sure you don't run the major decisions of your life on this board either? If a family chooses this route, it's no one's concern but theirs. That's all I'm saying.

???? So you're saying he made it sound like they work? :cool2: care to read it again? And no I wasn't, I was asking a simple question, that yes, was completely relevant to his post if you actually read it and think about. He basically said they don't work, so why do they get them, is it for us or them. But since they don't in fact work, for a large number if people, that puts into question doubt of the reasoning behind the question. Capiche?

um..... perhaps you might want to read it again very very slowly. he has never said such thing.

Is it for the benefit of the Deaf? or for the benefit of the hearing?
you can if you wish, state as it audiologically, or as in cultural sense. But really I am asking this in regard to the cultural paradigm.

However, it is pointed out that “cochlear implants do not, and likely will not, eliminate deafness altogether.

I must wonder about the efficiency, or rather effectuality of the implants...which prompts me to beg a question to which i wish to ask others here...
is the is the Cochlear implant made for the hearing or for the deaf?

but keep in mind, i am talking about congenitally deaf children and perhaps even some of you as adults who deciding/decided to be implanted, why? do you still crave for the hearing world or what?

in case you still don't understand... let me help you there.

bottom line - is getting a CI a benefit made for the hearing people or deaf people? meaning... is it because hearing people want deaf people to hear so that it would make their (hearing people) life easier? or is it because deaf people want to hear? which? or something else?

Well, there's the problem. I'm not blaming you for anything. I'm just saying it's not your concern (the deaf community) what other families decide for themselves.
you can just not concern yourself about me and this. you can go ahead and sit down while I go ahead and ensure that future deaf people do not get sucked into a vicious cycle.

I think that's where all the anger comes from among the deaf.
that's incorrect.

As a group, you really seem to resent when people disagree, and personalize it.
excuse me - as a what?

also that's incorrect.

Having or not having a CI is a private family matter. I'm sure you don't run the major decisions of your life on this board either? If a family chooses this route, it's no one's concern but theirs. That's all I'm saying.
so you prefer to let a vicious cycle to continue so why don't you go ahead and sit down instead of telling me to not help stop the cycle. you prefer to do nothing so why aren't you doing nothing then? :roll:

you've just basically proved my point. you're resentful. you're a social hermit. you attributed it to your "hearing disability".

Someone that believes families have a right to make their own decisions without getting your approval first. Respect is a two way street.

Do you understand the word efficiency Jiro? Go get and dictionary and come back and be all snarky with me. You've got some major reading comprehension problems going on if you couldn't understand grummers post. Heck you were reading stuff in Laura's post that wasn't even there. I'm sure you realize that though, that's just you instigating, and you accuse me of trying to invite crap? Please.

Without question it is a benefit for the deaf. IMO

Someone that believes families have a right to make their own decisions without getting your approval first. Respect is a two way street.

never said such a thing. you're letting your resentment clouding you. I'm glad I'm not in same crab barrel with you. :roll:

Do you understand the word efficiency Jiro? Go get and dictionary and come back and be all snarky with me. You've got some major reading comprehension problems going on if you couldn't understand grummers post. Heck you were reading stuff in Laura's post that wasn't even there. I'm sure you realize that though, that's just you instigating, and you accuse me of trying to invite crap? Please.

looks like you need a little cool-down before we start quibbling around.

you've just basically proved my point. you're resentful. you're a social hermit. you attributed it to your "hearing disability".

You are unbelievable.

Without question it is a benefit for the deaf. IMO

yes - it can be as long as no unrealistic expectations are set. no problem.

looks like you need a little cool-down before we start quibbling around.

For someone who complains about quibbling you start an awful lot if it, you should probably report this now, you know after you've started a bunch of arguments, and called people names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back