A Poll: Would You Want a CI If You Were Born Today?

web730 said:
I assume that you must be an adult already? If so, why do you think it may help you this time "too late"? Worth it for your money? Ofc after all, it's your own business. Just curious.

What do you really mean by your questions?

Yes I am an adult and I was born deaf. This time it is too late, I know because I applied for the implant a few years ago once and got told sorry you are too old, we are trying to do the children. Now I have hearing children, I would love to listen to their conversations and join in, not have to ask whats going on all the time!!!

backerman said:
I would say no. I don't care if this CI much better than in the past. I don't want to be look like a robot with CI on me. I prefer to be deaf and proud of it.

What do you say about 'robot'? Mmmm ahahahahahahahahaha! CI is NOT robot! :laugh2:

Bye!

R2D2 said:
Um - there's quite a few embarrassing misconceptions in the posts from some of those opposed to CIs. If you are going to make a decision make sure it is informed :)

1. The device isn't in the brain. It's not brain surgery.
2. You are still deaf after having a CI and you can actually turn it off if you want a bit of peace and quiet - and you can still be proud to be deaf :)
3. CIs have made a big difference for some deaf adults - these depend on certain factors of course such as prior auditory experience.
4. Having a CI doesn't preclude the use of sign language - some children with CIs are educated in a total communication environment.

And lastly:

5. Having a CI doesn't turn you into a robot. As a matter of fact you don't need an electrical device to be a robot. You can be a robot just by following the crowd without making your own informed decisions.

Vive La Difference!

Brilliant!!! :applause: Especially 2, 3 and 4. As a hearing person, the minute I utter the words "cochlear implant," people automatically assume I'm some militant out to demolish deafness. In reality, I see what you see: A technological advancement that can aid deaf people and make life easier. I don't see anything wrong with that. And if a person learns sign/already knows sign, all the better!

Really, I'm not a huge supporter of CIs without sign as well. But I also recognize it works for some people. Who am I to tell a deaf person that they must learn sign if they're getting by just fine without it?

i got my first implant when i was 9 i didnt really understand what was going on at the time i got it but i was glad i got it as i wouldnt be without music i wasnt born deaf so i probably would have gone for it anyway but who knows what id be like if i was born deaf but as it stands now im glad i can hear i love music and hearing my family and friends dont know where id be without it!

I've had my Freedom activated for almost a year now, so I'd say YES, 100%. Its been the best year of my life, since going deaf.

Back