A Poll: Would You Want a CI If You Were Born Today?

Boult

Reaction score
Deafness.about.com has a poll asking if you were born today, would you want a CI? go there and vote!
Poll: Would You Want a CI If You Were Born Today?:

For those who know me which I run a forum elsewhere on the internet, I do have similar poll up and running... which I would like to see my forum members vote there as well... I can't give you my forum address. If you know where then great!

Have a great week!

I would say no. I don't care if this CI much better than in the past. I don't want to be look like a robot with CI on me. I prefer to be deaf and proud of it.

I rather not have anything foreign implanted my body and head.
That is my wish.

I'm about to have a CI implanted in a few months and I'm not sure about whether I'd want it from birth. I'll let you know in a few months! I did very well with hearing aids before I had my sudden loss.

I'm not worried about being a robot (!) or having something foreign implanted in me. If I needed a hip replacement operation or an organ transplant I'd do it It's the way surgery is going in general. I'm not afraid of that.

And I'd still be deaf after a CI.

R2D2

No, I do not want it unless if it provides stem cells in cochlears that make the cilia (tiny hairs) grow. No worries about batteries. I rather make my ears feel free without any type of hearing aids.

backerman said:
I would say no. I don't care if this CI much better than in the past. I don't want to be look like a robot with CI on me. I prefer to be deaf and proud of it.

Cyborg alert! Cyborg alert! (I'm coming through emulating Arnold). If we are going to be name calling, at least have fun with it. :mrgreen:

I already have one and it doesn't bother me a bit. I believe Readers Digest called it the first brain prosthesis. It generally is not all that obvious and I love what it does for me. I will be the first to admit that now I'm truly deaf (when it is not on me) and that it doesn't give me 100% hearing (that wasn't the point anyway). What's it's potential to give me was why I went this route and it has done that and more. I couldn't be more pleased with my results.

As they say, different strokes for different folks. Live and let live! My vote is very obvious to all...

No.

I have the phobia of anything foreign that stays under my skin and nest among my organs.

If I was born today, I would still say NO. I'm happy with what I have now.

I voted No before this thread came. A good poll.

I laughed at some of your comments being a robot or something nest in your organs, haha. "true"

Accept being deaf is rather easier and simple and far quietier (more peace and sleep better), too

Also that CI doesn't make much difference yet too expensive and a risk. It's ideal for the only for chosen few especially those at age 2-5. Also for those late-deafened.

I did post on old CI thread before but want to add it this time for once.

My close friend who still teaches at deaf school now. He once taught a some CI students at other deaf school back then. He said that they were in fact far worse off than the deaf students in the class as whole. They didn't fare well in school. Why? They went to a different school (probably from a mainstream or oral school) before where they failed so miserably and also misfitted in their own peers. So their parents sent them to the deaf school hoping that they fare better, but it went rough for them. Sad .. wasted. He said that it was their parents at fault which we friends agreed so.

I don't know how they fare later on from the point on, however. I hope that they did pick on. It was back in the 90's out in the midwest. He said it was so outrage. I will ask him once more if I remember.

And that time it was a hot issue with the CI situiation back then, too.

Think the parents should have rights to force their deaf kids to get CIs? I'm still not so sure. That's why I recommend those only for the late deafened or at early age for few chosen only. It would be ok.

You should notice that far more deafies don't even bother to wear hearing aids than others still do nowadays. I even heard of some CI ppl dump it later on and accept being deaf the easier.

Yeah, it's so sticky issue still, I bet.

Yes, I would like to have the best benefits to hear - why wait?

Tamara said:
Yes, I would like to have the best benefits to hear - why wait?

I assume that you must be an adult already? If so, why do you think it may help you this time "too late"? Worth it for your money? Ofc after all, it's your own business. Just curious.

NO and NEVER Will.. Why Should I? ASL works for both hearing and deaf. I am not gonna to doing it for hearing people s sake because they cannot communicate while we did learn how to speak that already proved it to me. So why struggle to force Deaf children to be a hearing person? I find this is too wacko for someone who tried to make their children to function like a hearing child. I strongly feel that it s disrespectful toward Deaf children 's true identity.

Who do u trying to prove that we Deaf people ARE failure without any devices or with ASL? I think it s so outrageous. A lot of ASLERS deaf people are successful more than deaf oralist including me.. I must admit it.

All I can say you people failed us in many ways after all those year with oral method. Thats way too much to be continue the old oral routines. Waste $$$$$$ and destroy or hurt Deaf children s emotional and mental by being abused.

Take care!
Sweetmind

I am not sure about CI since i dont know much about CI and for digital or something that i heard ppls saying that its very helpful whats the different between CI and digital ?

Back