A note about bigotry

Eyeth said:
Once again, you've coined a classic there! :rofl:

I'm somewhat reluctant about the idea of using SEE or any other 'consciously designed sign language systems', in a formal setting in the classroom. This ASL vs ESE study, conducted sometime in 1997, lays it all out pretty good. While SEE has its moments, my concern lies in 'excessive prompting' inherent in artificial sign language systems.

Excessive prompting in a natural discourse of a particular communications method only serves to expose flaws in such systems, pointing out inefficiencies. The main objective is to allow students to naturally master their language, and not have inefficiencies retard their progress on a daily basis.

That all said, SEE does have its moments. For short and concentrated bursts, SEE seems to be more than adequate as a communications method in teaching English in a classroom setting.

SEE-glishly yours,
:)

Eyeth, you may be interested in the below piece. (There's no online rendering, unfortunately) I know the Luetke-Stahlman family, though we speak infrequently. Dr. Barbara Luetke-Stahlman left the field a few years ago and told me she wanted to pursue other things.

Luetke-Stahlman, B. (1997). One Mother's Story. Las Alamitos, CA: Modern Sign Press. A non-research account of the literacy development of two deaf girls who have used SEE for 8 years. The oldest has age-appropriate English reading, writing, and spelling abilities. [This behavior continues and is documented on the child's 1998 IEP as a sixth grader.]

Oooh! Something came to mind, I remember reading a compilation of research on SEE a few years back. I'll have to find it!

Pseudo SEE-glishly yours,
I wanna to Endymion

I also remember this one. It's a tad bit aged, but here you go.

Moeller, M., & Johnson, D. (1988). Longitudinal performance of deaf students using manually coded English. ASHA National Convention. Boston, MA.

The purpose of this study was to document ten years of reading and English language ability of students (7-18 years of age) using SEE II. Subjects were from the Sedalia, Missouri public school program. Results were a) systematic improvement in complexity of English grammar use and reading with age; b) criterion achieved on The Test of Syntactic Ability by 14 years of age; and c) consistent bound morpheme use observed in conversation. Speech intelligibility was generally low for most subjects. 9/12 subjects read at or above grade level.

well, I think there are those that are doing it for the money. That's the wrong reason.

I got into signing by accident in a way. I think the hearing world leaves the Deafies out. In an educational community, the same community I entered willingly, it's sad to see anyone left out.

Our district requires ALL interpreters to be able to pass the level 1 exam within a specified amount of time.

Back