A new take on CI's - Adult perspectives

me_punctured said:
I just read an article on bilteral implantation in the California Ear Institute's March 2006 newsletter. You are correct about the budding research on bilateral implantation and CI recipients. There are many children who have done exceptionally well with bilateral implants, but there are also some not benefitting from them as much as they did with their first implants. I do not know if there is a considerable difference between simultaneous bilateral implantation and subsequent bilateral implantation, but I can speculate there may be.

The multi-varied results apply to the adult population as well. Many late-deafened implantees are able to localize sounds more accurately and find them more "natural-sounding" (a concept lost entirely on me). They do function better with two implants, instead of one, in an auditory-oral environment. But, others who struggle with second implants and do not benefit from them much as they did with their first implants, have different histories of hearing loss that configure their ability to receive sounds through their CIs. My speculation is, congenitally profoundly non-implanted deaf adults would be the most least ideal recipients to benefit from bilateral implantation. (Obviously!)

In the light of the nascent research on bilateral implantation, it is quite understandable why many insurance companies may not be receptive to covering the prohibitive costs of a second implant.

I too contemplate going bilateral, Boult, but given my background, I worry about the potential let-down of expectations from the benefits of a second implant.
**nodding** in agreement

Gemtun said:
I have 3G - at first, I suffered greatly from migraines and ringing but two years later, I can actually understand conversations without any visual cues. It has helped me tremendously with my confidence with hearing people.I have no regrets.

My best friend who is a principal of a state school for the deaf was upset with me at first but now she is considering getting CIs for herself because she is a mother of 2 very small hearing children. She realizes that she needs all help she can get in order to communicate with her hearing kids. It has helped me undrestand my daughters even more.

I went to see a movie with my kids last Friday night - I was able to understand the entire movie. I thought I was going to fall asleep after 20 minutes into the movie as I did in the past if it had no open captions but during this movie, I actually understood and enjoyed it for first time. :D

I remember going to my first movie (Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith), and it was so AMAZING to be able to follow the movie!! I'm so happy for you. I'm actually considering going to see th enew Ice Age cartoon next week, because THAT will be a real test - you can't lipread a cartoon!! :mrgreen:

I'd like to go bilateral - the only drawback I can think of from my single implant is lack of directionality when it comes to sound. For example yesterday I was outside my parent's house and I knew they were SOMEWHERE around, either on one side of the house or perhaps behind the house or over by the boat, because I could hear their voices, but I had NO clue which *direction* their voices were coming from. Granted if thats the ONLY drawback, I really have nothing to complain about (and I'm not complaining really) but being able to have directionality if I go bilateral would be an added benefit, but if its not a possibility for me, I will STILL remain as happy as a clam with my single implant :)

neecy said:
I'd like to go bilateral - the only drawback I can think of from my single implant is lack of directionality when it comes to sound. For example yesterday I was outside my parent's house and I knew they were SOMEWHERE around, either on one side of the house or perhaps behind the house or over by the boat, because I could hear their voices, but I had NO clue which *direction* their voices were coming from. Granted if thats the ONLY drawback, I really have nothing to complain about (and I'm not complaining really) but being able to have directionality if I go bilateral would be an added benefit, but if its not a possibility for me, I will STILL remain as happy as a clam with my single implant :)
Well I could somewhat locate the sound if you turn around like a radar looking for increase in volume you know?

Boult said:
Well I could somewhat locate the sound if you turn around like a radar looking for increase in volume you know?

I had to laugh at that...that presupposes the sound(s) will continue over time. Works sometimes and most of the time no. I simply stick with logic (very automatic with me) and it works pretty good for me. I admit you can get that "lost" look trying to figure out where that sound is coming from especially if it is somebody calling you.

sr171soars said:
I had to laugh at that...that presupposes the sound(s) will continue over time. Works sometimes and most of the time no. I simply stick with logic (very automatic with me) and it works pretty good for me. I admit you can get that "lost" look trying to figure out where that sound is coming from especially if it is somebody calling you.

That made me laugh too - I remember a few months my Mom and I were renovating her bathroom and we were all over the place mixing plaster, cutting tiles etc and she called my name and I couldn't find her.I looked in her bedroom, the bathroom, the living room... I was "ok Mom I hear you - now where the hell are you???" Then she came out loud and clear "I'm on the back porch!" :laugh2:

Boult, CIs are RELATIVELY rare.....I mean it is not too common to see someone with two implants.

me_punctured said:
Endymion already beat me to this, but I will echo his sentiments. Your posts make me smile.
The feeling is mutual on this end, too. :wave: And, thank you for sharing some of your CI experiences with us; I had gathered that the negative connotation as implied from your AD username, would seem to indicate otherwise.

Sorry.....reverse that....bilateral CIs are relatively rare. They aren't SUPER rare, but they are still pretty unusual in the grand scheme of things.

OH man DD it is not in "rare" category anymore! get over it! period.

me_punctured said:
...... I do not know if there is a considerable difference between simultaneous bilateral implantation and subsequent bilateral implantation, but I can speculate there may be......
It's difficult for children that get the second CI later. They are "forced" to used the old one less in order to stimulate the new nerve. I even heared about children have to wear only the new one, and think that's wrong. Taking away a means of communication / sound is bad.

But the longer the auditory nerve has been without stimulation, the more effort to get it "up and going" again.

BTE refers to "behind the ear" processors. When CI users mention BTE's they are talking about the kind of processor they can wear behind the ear, which look very similar to regular BTE hearing aids. Only we have the wire and magnet attached.

I have both the BTE and a BWP (Body worn processor). There is really no difference between the two. No difference in power or anything like that. However with Nucleus brands for example, the BWP allows for four programs to be mapped into it, while the older BTE models (Esprit 3-G) only allow for two speech programs to be mapped into it. I read that the new Freedom BTE's allow for four programs.

I guess they are still manufacturing and offering the BWP's for those that prefer them. Many parents opt to get BWP's for small children since it is easier for both the parent and child to adjust their volume and controls (bigger buttons, and has a little screen that displays the programs and volume).

As for me the only reason that I got a BWP as well as a BTE is that I was encouraged to do so by my Audi at the time. In the beginning it was a little easier with the BWP to be able to try four different programs to be able to help myself determine which programs I best preferred to have mapped into my BTE. Now I kind of wish I never got the BWP because I only wore it in the first couple of weeks after being implanted, and instead choose to wear my BTE all the time-- it is a lot more comfortable and less cumbersome! One of these days I'll probably trade in the BWP for credit towards a second BTE for backup.

Oops, sorry-- forgot to mention this was in response to ismi's question a few pages back.

neecy said:
That made me laugh too - I remember a few months my Mom and I were renovating her bathroom and we were all over the place mixing plaster, cutting tiles etc and she called my name and I couldn't find her.I looked in her bedroom, the bathroom, the living room... I was "ok Mom I hear you - now where the hell are you???" Then she came out loud and clear "I'm on the back porch!" :laugh2:

:lol:
It would be great to hear from others about more funny hearing incidents had with a CI. Any others got stories?

I had an embarrassing CI moment about a month after I was activated. It was around Christmas time, and I was at my office working at my computer. I noticed what at the time sounded like music- in fact, after a few moments I was sure I was hearing "Deck the Halls" being played over the office PA system. I became very excited and felt tremendously proud that after such a short time after having my CI activated, that I was actually able to identify a tune! So I stopped what I was doing, and just sat still at my desk, staring into the air like a moron, listening to the "music" and smiling to myself, thinking that I couldn't wait til the work day was over so I could rush home and brag to my husband about my accomplishment. As the day wore on, I thought I noticed the same tune being played over and over. Gradually I started wondering why the heck they were playing the same song repeatedly. Surely no one could love "Deck the Halls" that much, could they? Well anyway, several hours later I got up from my desk, needing to make a xerox of some documents... so I walked over to the copier, started the machine, and suddenly, there it was-- not "Deck the Halls" again, but actually the rhythmic noise peculiar to that machine. Duh..... :Oops: boy, was I glad that I hadn't mentioned the "Musical Copy Machine" to any of my co-workers. :ugh:

LMAO That's a great one!!!!!

A little while after my activation, my Brother and nephew were visiting and I heard this *REALLY* wierd sound. I was puzzled because I couldn't pinpoint
where the heck it was coming from. My borther informed me that my 1 year old nephew had farted!!!! :laugh2: "So THAT'S what a fart sounds like??!!!"

Another one:

About 4 months ago my Brother came over to get some stuff he had in the storage room. Its a bedroom crammed to the gills with odds and ends. (I rent a basement suite from my parents). So I came home (didn't know he was here) and noticed the storage room light was on, but couldn't SEE anybody in the room. No worry - flip the light off....go to my bedroom....and hear somebody calling my name. Come out to the hallway.... nobody there? Go upstairs...nobody...come back downstairs... STILL hear somebody calling my name..

"Okay I hear you...where are you?"

"IN THE STORAGE ROOM!"

Oops!!!!!!

So I run back and there he is at the VERY back of the room, he was under a mattress that was on top of a few boxes he was going thru so I didn't see him, and when I turned the light off he had NO way to navigate back to the front of the bedroom - there are NO windows, so it was pitch black! LMAO. I can only imagine the bruises he would have had by trying to climb over all the stuff in there to turn the light back on if I hadn't heard him, or if I hadn't had my CI!

LOL Superfroggy about the musical photocopier and phew! you didn't tell any of your co-workers. I laughed too about the farting sound, Neecy. It's a reminder for me to be open minded about what I hear for the first few weeks after activation and to be tactful as well.

you can't lipread a cartoon!!
Actually you CAN! Disney cartoons are scieninzed (sp?) so you can somewhat "read" their lips.
Boult, how about it's still somewhat uncommon to see bilateral implants? You do occasionally see folks with bilateral implants, but compared to folks with one implant or even an implant and an aid, it's relatively rare.

R2D2 said:
LOL Superfroggy about the musical photocopier and phew! you didn't tell any of your co-workers. I laughed too about the farting sound, Neecy. It's a reminder for me to be open minded about what I hear for the first few weeks after activation and to be tactful as well.

Funny indeed. The one I remember the most was the very first day after my hookup. I was excited to put my CI on after I woke up. Just before that, my wife was doing her exercises on a "stepper" like machine in our bedroom. The thing makes a racket (tried everything to make it quieter in the past) but I forgot all about that in my excitement. So, I put it on and there is high pitch "he haw" like sound. Since I hadn't heard all night and I will still adjusting to the CI, the sound was incredibly loud to the point that I said "What the heck" (almost said WTF which I never do). It bothered me so much that I literally ran out of the room and went downstairs. At that point, I finally figured it out but it sure scared the heck out of me. I was so discombobulated that I forgot my casual dress shirt that goes over my dark t-shirt and I went to work like that. Fortunately, where I work it wasn't a big deal and I didn't noticed it either until later in the day.

Growing up, I was often told that I always moaned or hummed while reading a book. That was very embarrasing because I am an avid reader and often read in the public like at coffee shops, bars or resturants. I couldnt fully understand why many men were staring or looking at me quizzically while I was reading. :Oops:

Fortunately, I have my CI to remind me if Im making these noises so these embarrasing moments don't happen much anymore! Heh :D I now catch myself when I m doing that or walking too heavily or sighing too loud, etc. I didnt realize how much noise I make everyday!!!! :lol:

Gemtun said:
Growing up, I was often told that I always moaned or hummed while reading a book. That was very embarrasing because I am an avid reader and often read in the public like at coffee shops, bars or resturants. I couldnt fully understand why many men were staring or looking at me quizzically while I was reading. :Oops:

Fortunately, I have my CI to remind me if Im making these noises so these embarrasing moments don't happen much anymore! Heh :D I now catch myself when I m doing that or walking too heavily or sighing too loud, etc. I didnt realize how much noise I make everyday!!!! :lol:

that remind me of my friend from texas who would make noise in his throat and that time I had HA I would turn and look at him and ask "are you making noise" he said no.. I said "ok" we keep walking then he make noise again I told him "finish" so I decide to test him. I chat with my lip shut cuz he doesn't use voice or move mouth cuz he's pure asl signer. while doing that, he made noise, I goes "gotcha" he was startled.. I said "ok maybe you are not fully aware that you are making noise but your throat is!" he gulped and now know he does and couldn't help it. he doesn't have HA and doesn't wear one at all. I believe that he thinks if keep mouth close and do that then no one will hear it but he was wrong. because it was nasal noise.

also, I do recall back then when I was like 10/11 yrs old staying with guardian family in San Antonio, Tx who has a deaf son so that I go to Sunshine Cottage (oral deaf school) with him. anyway there are times when we sit at table for lunch or dinner. his parent would tell me to stop moaning... I have Ha and I didn't hear myself moaning. I said "I am not" they will get mad at me. I can't help it. I didn't hear myself with that HA technology back then. it was a body worn aid. so the mic is way low on my body not close enough like my BTE you know? then few years later in Fla I got my first BTE (yeah I spent 1 year in Texas) I was able to control myself. But my family never nag me about my noise before I lived with this guardian family. boy... this family in Tx sure do big time. I was glad that I am not living with them any more eh. :)

Anyway my friend in Tx is not the only one who do such thing without knowledge. there are several I encountered... without ha or ci, they never know if they are actually silent at all.

Back