A new take on CI's - Adult perspectives

sr171soars said:
Depends...

If you have a Freedom (Cochlear Inc.) like I do, you either use a BTE model that uses batteries the same size as P675s or a BWP (body worn processor) that uses a rechargeable battery. Note the P675 type batteries you get for your CI are not the same that you buy at Radio Shack. You need to get P675s for CIs due to its demand from a power standpoint (think of a CI like a little computer) :D Anyway, most people using the Freedom get about three days worth (I did ask my audi about this and she said that three days was typical). BTW...that is three batteries (in series) at the same time for three days. So, you typically will need about 300 batteries a year! There is good news for the near future as I have heard they are working on a rechargeable battery for the BTEs and it would be easy to swap out the battery compartments.

I can't vouch for the rechargeable batteries as I didn't get the BWP.
same as mine sometimes its goes for 4 or 5 days.. depends on what program you're using..
its like 1 battery a day average :eek:

to rockdrummer:

Yes i'm glad i choose to get CI. It works for me however the speech isn't my primiary goal.. my primiary goal is to hear the surround sounds around me. and its successful.
for 1 year been wearing them is amazing. there's a few words i can pick up(didn't have any aurial/verbal rehab/therpy).
other postive note is i can read lips much easier than i can usually do with HA and i can hear more sounds than i can't with HA such as refrig running, heating running, water running, microwave beeps, car turn signal, etc.

Am glad i choosed freedom and got it the right time because its water resident(sp?) although its not accually waterproof (hoping soon heh)
other thing i kinda wish i did got it 4 or 5 years ago. i remember my mom asked me when i was 11 or 12 years old.. she said " would u like to get CI?" i strongly said "NO!" its just because of fears and many Deaf are against it.

ismi said:
I assume the BTE is the little disc that sits on the back of the skull above and behind the ear? Or is it similar in shape to a HA BTE?

What is the advantage to going with a BWP - more power or signal
processing?

The "disc" you speak of is the transmitter coil that transmits electric impulses to the internal implant. The BTE part contains the computer circuitry and programs, and microphones in the upper half, and a compartment for three batteries in the lower sectionl

bteWithBatteriesSmall_photo.jpg

DeafSCUBA98 said:
Yes i'm glad i choose to get CI. It works for me however the speech isn't my primiary goal.. my primiary goal is to hear the surround sounds around me. and its successful.
for 1 year been wearing them is amazing. there's a few words i can pick up(didn't have any aurial/verbal rehab/therpy).
other postive note is i can read lips much easier than i can usually do with HA and i can hear more sounds than i can't with HA such as refrig running, heating running, water running, microwave beeps, car turn signal, etc.

Am glad i choosed freedom and got it the right time because its water resident(sp?) although its not accually waterproof (hoping soon heh)
other thing i kinda wish i did got it 4 or 5 years ago. i remember my mom asked me when i was 11 or 12 years old.. she said " would u like to get CI?" i strongly said "NO!" its just because of fears and many Deaf are against it.

I know this wasn't directed to me, but I want to comment. I don't (and probably never will) have "perfect hearing" because there are so many different variables to be taken into consideration. Background noise (though the noise-cancellation program ROCKS!), accents, people who don't enunciate well, people who speak softly....in those cases I still lipread but the CI helps immensely. There are many situations where I literally don't have to lipread at all anymore and its wonderful! I've been using the phone since 3 months post-activation!!!! I can sit in my room and work at my computer and have the television on and understand what's being said without looking at the captioning. I listen to music and each day I am able to understand more words (of course this depends on the singers - some sing more clearly than others.)

I do know that the longer I have it, the clearer things become. My Audie said that even after 5 years, there are still "CI moments" and increasing understanding and clarity! Its only been a year for me, so there's a lot more t look forward to.

I LOVE the water resistance feature. I can walk from the house to my car if its raining and not have to run or take it off for worry it could get wet. I can work out and not worry that sweat will affect it. I can take my nephew to the beach and run around in the water with him and not worry if I get splashed (though since its not water PROOF I will not swim/submerge myself with it on, but minor splashing is no worry)

It's amazing to see benefits of CIs.. but I can use a HA so I'm not qualified for CIs yet.. Sometimes I want to say 'What a pity! ' for my a little good hearing that doesn't need CI currently..

but I do think that it will become more homogeneous with regards to empathy and acceptance of *ALL* aspects of deafness,
True.....although I wouldn't hold my breath for THE CURE through stem cell regeneration just yet.......I mean things like CIs and hearing aids and other listening devices are BIG BUSINESS. With stem cell, all you get is a one time infusation......not much profit there......and we DO live in a society where healthcare is a capitalist venture.

deafdyke said:
True.....although I wouldn't hold my breath for THE CURE through stem cell regeneration just yet.......I mean things like CIs and hearing aids and other listening devices are BIG BUSINESS. With stem cell, all you get is a one time infusation......not much profit there......and we DO live in a society where healthcare is a capitalist venture.

Quite right - I hold no illusions about the CI industry. Although it strives to improve the quality of life for its recipents, its bottom line is driven by profit. With regards to stem-cell implantation -even that won't be a "cure all" because, like with any other situation- there will always be some who can't benefit from it, or CHOOSE not to. Remember - varitety is the spice of life! :)

neecy said:
The "disc" you speak of is the transmitter coil that transmits electric impulses to the internal implant. The BTE part contains the computer circuitry and programs, and microphones in the upper half, and a compartment for three batteries in the lower sectionl

bteWithBatteriesSmall_photo.jpg

Ismi...to follow up on the rest of your question (about the BWP)... The BWP is the same as the BTE from a processor standpoint. You have the option of using a rechargable battery and it clips to your belt or pocket. It really comes down what you prefer. Personally, I didn't like it as it still has the top part of the BTE on your ear and a wire going down to the BWP. You also still have the coil and transmitter (the magnetic round part that attaches to your head).

rockdrummer said:
It appears to me the REAL issue is how someone that is deaf (in any form) will choose to assimilate with the hearing world or even IF they will assimilate. Please correct me if I am wrong but it seems like assimilation is the real issue here.
Sometimes, the simplest explanation is the best one. :) Deaf/HH adults who choose to undergo the CI procedure, do so because they want to hear. While I'm sure individual factors in each Deaf/HH adult's case for the CI vary, that is the bottom line; to hear better, not to assimilate into the mainstream society.
borg-drone.gif

How do I know this? Simple; As I've explained earlier, I went to a Deaf convention and saw a couple of CI recipients. They haven't disengaged themselves from the Deaf community. If anything, they're doing their usual way of life, interacting with their mainstream communities and still participating in the Deaf community. I have also met a couple of CI recipients in private settings and they all indicate they still participate in Deaf community functions, still hang out with their Deaf/HH friends, etc.

I must apologize to you all. I have been bouncing around between the cochlear implant threads and I posted a response here that was not appropriate for this discussion. I wish I new how to edit my reply or remove it altogether. I have posted those comments where they are more appropriate. I have no experience with CI’s other than what I have been through with my child. The CI doesn’t work for him so I don’t believe I will be able to add any value to this discussion. Again, my apologies

Endymion said:
No, I never did attend a residential school. There was a time when I was rather adamant about it, but my parents refused to budge. Did they make a good decision? I don't know, though I think there is a chance I turned out all right. A remote one, admittedly.
:lol: Well, you didn't miss out much on the social and self-esteem aspects of the Deaf insitution, anyway.
You hear lots about a paltry quality of education at residential schools (CSD-Fremont and CSD-Riverside miserably bombed the California STAR tests a few years back, with more than half of the students failing to pass the bottom 75th percentile in many categories.
I remember reading the report. And, my alma mater didn't fare too well either. Check out FSD's FCAT results, and scroll to the bottom, to the 2005 Tenth Grade testing results. The percentage of students scoring a '1' is at a staggering 85 percent for reading! And the report is somewhat misleading, as it includes blind students and does not compare the results to St. John's County district results.
Back to CIs. I unfortunately feel that the Deaf world's days are numbered, and so soon after its official recognition!
You might want to check out this AD thread.

neecy said:
My Freedom goes through 3 batteries every 3 days. I use the ADRO map. I use the BTE Freedom and button-cell batteries aren't rechargable, so I don't have that benefit, but I'm sure they'll find a way to make them rechargable in the future.

I was going to ask about this but you answered my question. I'm going to have to set asside a fund for those CI batteries (my HA batteries lasted me a week) but it will be worth it. Hopefully a rechargeable battery will come on the market within 5 years.

Do you bulk order yours? I used to always get HA batteries on the hop being disorganised sometimes and havng the convenience of a pharmacy at the top of my street so I will have to change my mindset.

R2D2 said:
Do you bulk order yours? I used to always get HA batteries on the hop being disorganised sometimes and havng the convenience of a pharmacy at the top of my street so I will have to change my mindset.

I was given enough batteries to last me 2 years because I'm part of the clinical trials for the Freedom, but when I run out I will bulk order them from Cochlear and its about $200 USD for 300 batteries (roughly a year's worth)

I wanted to add this - it really depends on what map you use. The more pulses per second that your implant does, the more energy you'll use. One of the maps I used had a very high pulse rate and I was going thru 3 batteries every 10 hours!

ecevit said:
It's amazing to see benefits of CIs.. but I can use a HA so I'm not qualified for CIs yet.. Sometimes I want to say 'What a pity! ' for my a little good hearing that doesn't need CI currently..

At least you know that you have the back stop of CI's there should something happen with your residual hearing. I actually had quite a big hearing loss but was really happy with my hearing aids until I lost the remaining hearing that I had. I even turned down an offer to be assessed for a CI 3 years ago.

Now I'm going for my CI journey really positive, hopeful and very glad that I have this option.

With regards to stem-cell implantation -even that won't be a "cure all" because, like with any o ther situation- there will always be some who can't benefit from it, or CHOOSE not to.
Ummm no, that's not what I meant. I mean we don't even know if stem cell therapy will even WORK....Right now the benifits of stem cell therapy are pretty much hypothetical, for the ear. Plus there's the fact that the benifits, are only a one shot deal. With CI and hearing aids there's still hardware, mappings and audilogy appointments to get through.
I remember reading the report. And, my alma mater didn't fare too well either.
On the other hand, as a sociologist, it's not just a matter of saying "Oh these schools suck. Mainstreaming is THE WAY to go!"
I would think that the acheivement levels at Deaf schools are probaly simalir to acheivement levels at an inner city school. You have to remember that a lot of the "regular" (ie kids with no additional disablities) have extenuating circumstances.....like many of them may be oral failures, and thus are finally learning things after years and years of going "boo be bah" or many others may be playing catch up b/c they may have fallen through the early intervention cracks....remember it's still very common for dhh kids to recieve general EI (eg Headstart)....and finally a lot of the rest approach English as a SECOND language. I mean you may be very good at English, but not be totally perfect at it.....and even hearing folks who are ESL (English as a Second language) make many of the same linguistic and grammartical mistakes that Deaf kids do!

R2D2 said:
Me I'm 35, was born severely/profoundly deaf due to Waardenburg syndrome. I did very well with hearing aids until last year when I had a sudden loss that zapped my residual hearing in my better ear.

I thought people with Waardenburg's Syndrome had non-progressive deafness. May I ask what type of WS do you carry?

deafdyke said:
and even hearing folks who are ESL (English as a Second language) make many of the same linguistic and grammartical mistakes that Deaf kids do!

Can I chip in with one thing? I'm not addressing anything else in your post. :)

This is actually one of my pet peeves. It is true that many hearing people have English deficits as well. That does not, however, mitigate the problems that deaf people encounter as a result of any English issues.

In fact, hearing people with English quirks are often looked down upon (at the very least, professionally and academically). Most firms, for example, cite "communication" as one of the most important factors in a quality employee. This qualification almost always includes writing ability.

I was recently talking to an interpreter coordinator at a Tier 1 university. I asked her about the declining enrollment of deaf students at her school, and she told me that, (I paraphrase) "Because the demand for quality education is going up, admissions to universities are more competitive. This ultimately leads to the rejection of more and more students. When universities see quirky English, they are more likely to reject students, hearing status notwithstanding." (She also made a point that clearly separated deaf students from foreign students, and I can repeat that if you want)

When we say, "It's okay to have quirky English because some people have quirky English" we're just sugarcoating the problem. I want Deaf people to have equal opportunities, and I honestly do not care about how we do it: ASL, SEE, CIs, invoking the powers of a long dead Maharaja, or picking our noses until our boogers themselves have equal opportunties. If "equal opportunities" involves complete disregard of the English language, so be it too.

Last edited:
A question just crossed my mind. If a deaf person received a CI as a child and then got another one as an adult, does the second implantation classify him as an adult CI recipient? I would give an affirmative answer.

Why do most people only have one implant?

me_punctured said:
Why do most people only have one implant?

My shot at that would be the prohibitive cost. Many insurance companies are reluctant to fund a second implant, especially since the additional gain from a second implant is not as significant as the original gain from zero to one implant.

Basic diminishing returns.

Back