A Native Deaf Signer Learns to Cue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And respectfully, I submit that despite a user's paranoid attacks at anyone who doesn't immediately shout to the heavens about a piece of research, it is absolutely a valid question as to the user's native language. There is simply no use even considering results without this important information, in this particular case.

I have stated many times in the past that I am not against any modality that successfully teaches language, and frankly I'm tired as hell of being accused otherwise. If any highly defensive user wishes to find a quote where I ever said "I am against Cued Speech," I would be MORE than happy to retract it. Since that never happened.

I ask myself why I bother posting in these threads at all, and then I answer "Good question. Time to stop."

I understand where you are coming from. I am not questioning at any statements that were fired in this thread nor I'm not accusing you of anything else. What I am saying is, the language validity is reasonable only if it was supported which it has been in this thread to clear out any of these confusions. :)

Thanks, Jolie! Glad you can see why we were questioning it. It wasn't to start an argument, but to clarify the validity of the claims made in the OP.

How about this..

Her first language was ASL.
Then she learned to speak, learned Cued Speech, and the order of using the three of them is now probably speech first, then Cued Speech, then ASL.... So, nowadays, ASL as third "language"....

But great job on focusing on a minor detail instead of focusing on a great message....!!

Thanks IOML...
Keep posting these positive messages...

How about this..

Then she learned to speak, learned Cued Speech, and the order of using the three of them is now probably speech first, then Cued Speech, then ASL.... So, nowadays, ASL as third "language"....

But great job on focusing on a minor detail instead of focusing on a great message....!!

Thanks IOML...

Yea, sure her 3rd language is ASL despite learning it first. :roll:

At this point, it doesnt matter cuz the OP doesnt want to provide the info to clear up the confusion anyway.

Yea, sure her 3rd language is ASL despite learning it first. :roll:

At this point, it doesnt matter cuz the OP doesnt want to provide the info to clear up the confusion anyway.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Lotte learned sign first. Nowadays its definitely NOT her first language.....
There's no need to clear it up. It's irrelevant when you just want to read about a good experience.

There's no need to clear it up. It's irrelevant when you just want to read about a good experience.

whatever u say Cloggy.

Just listen to Silvia Lopez.... From this website:

Cloggy - ASL and oral .....sounds like a Bi-Bi program to me, at least by some peoples' definition.

Indeed Cue Camp was a positive expereince for her, according to he submission to the newsletter, I look forward to her continued submissions.:)
:ty:

How about this..

Thanks IOML...

With ASL as my third language, Cued Speech increases my ability to lip-read better while using my residual hearing from my hearing aids or even without.

Based on the above bolded statement, taken directly from the OP, your explanation makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. But, nice attempt to explain away a very relevent detail.

Just because it isn't her primary langauge does not mean that it isn't her first language. Likewise, jsut because spoken English is a person's first and only language does not automatically confer native, fluent status to the user.

One cannot determine the validity of a "good" experience without the information necessary to make that determination. To refuse to provide relevent information is an attempt to intentionally mislead and misrepresent.

Jillio why are you replying to each of cloggy's post before reading whole thread. It would be good idea to read whole thread before jumping on him! sheesh! he found the answer to why asl is her third language in his last post on this thread.

Cloggy - ASL and oral .....sounds like a Bi-Bi program to me, at least by some peoples' definition.

Indeed Cue Camp was a positive expereince for her, according to he submission to the newsletter, I look forward to her continued submissions.:)
:ty:

Incorrect. You obviously still do not comprehend the differences between bi-bi and TC. Ms Lopez, herself, identitifes her educational environment as TC. Bi-bi environments leep English and ASL separate. TC combines them. And, more oftn than not, utilizes sim com, which leads to a distorted structure of both languages.

Jillio why are you replying to each of cloggy's post before reading whole thread. I would be good idea to read whole thread before jumping on him! sheesh! he found the answer to why asl is her third language in his last post on this thread.

I am relpying idividually because the points need to be addressed individually.Why are you attempting to divert the issue?

Jillio why are you replying to each of cloggy's post before reading whole thread. I would be good idea to read whole thread before jumping on him! sheesh! he found the answer to why asl is her third language in his last post on this thread.
The reason she spends three posts on me instead of a constructive comment is clear evidence that she 's not interested in the article. Probably because the article proves her wrong... so focusing on something trivial is a way to ignore that..

The reason she spends three posts on me instead of a constructive comment is clear evidence that she 's not interested in the article. Probably because the article proves her wrong... so focusing on something trivial is a way to ignore that..

I have already explained why I addressed your pointns individually. And the article "proves" nothing, much less incorrectness. May I remind you that the article is simply opinion. Likewise, I had enough interst int he article to read it in depth and ask some very relevent questions, rather than simply taking it on the surface as "proof" of or support for anything. You would do as well to use some critical thinking skills.

No one has yet to answer the question of how a Rehab counselor manages to "forget" to request an interpreter for oneself, when it is the function of a Rehab counselor to request services for their clients.

Likewise, how is it that Ms. Lopez plans to incorporate the use of CS with the populations she mentioned without them knowing CS?

This OP can be classified as advertisement, not "proof" of anything. Simply unsubstantiated claims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back