A Native Deaf Signer Learns to Cue!

Status
Not open for further replies.

loml

Reaction score
Cued Speech? Easy? Sure! As a native deaf signer, I had no idea there was practice involved. I thought Cued Speech would be as easy as ASL – just hands flying in the air. After all, I have been signing using a total communication approach since I was a child in the Deaf Education Program in Neptune, of Monmouth County in NJ.

As I sat in the beginner class taught by Barbara Lee at Spring Camp Cheerio, I soon realized that Cued Speech is based on phonemic principles. I haven’t had good formal phonetics training since grade school. Being the only deaf native signer, I sat in the front of the classroom. I was anxious because I don’t cue and had no sign language interpreter. I had forgotten to request one. I quickly learned the hand shapes and placements. I began to relax a little bit because my classmates struggled, too and they are hearing. I finally can see how I can utilize Cued Speech with my hearing family, friends and work colleagues and it has been successful.

Spring Camp Cheerio also gave me my first experience camping in the mountaintop near the Appalachian Trail in Glade Valley, North Carolina in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I found comfort at the round table during breakfast,lunch and dinnertime where everyone can see and communicate easily just like in the ASL community. Much to my relief I had a sign language interpreter in the cafeteria. Spring Camp Camp Cheerio was quick and understanding to accommodate for me.

With ASL as my third language, Cued Speech increases my ability to lip-read better while using my residual hearing from my hearing aids or even without. For the first time, in my professional point of view, I witnessed that language development was the essential key to Cued Speech. It is truly a wonderful link in communication and literacy for the deaf and hard of hearing community. The successes of the native deaf kids and adult cuers spoke for themselves and blew me away. I have made friends (Barbara Lee and Aaron Rose to list a couple) who share my passion for literacy acquisition. It’s my hope that with support, a dual approach of Cued Speech and ASL wil enable our children to have the language skills and well rounded talents to succeed in this competitive world.

Camps are a wonderful introduction to acquire and maintain fluency. By the end of the three-day weekend among the rolling hills, fresh air and new colleagues, my eyes and brain were so tired. As a native signer since age four, I had thought absorbing another visual mode would be a piece of cake – not! Nevertheless, the learning experience left me with a desire to go to Cue Camp Virginia and try to cue without using my plastic card of the system for spoken English. I attended, indeed, but my personal testimony from there will be continued next time, so stay tuned!
Silvia Lopez is a 2004 graduate of Rochester Institute of Technology in Rochester, New York. In addition to working as a Rehabilitation Counselor for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing in
Fayetteville, NC, she enjoys reading, dancing, and promoting Cued Speech in her spare time.

http://www.cuedspeech.org/PDF/NCSA_ColorOnCue_March2008.pdf

She identifies ASL as her third language. Using a TC approach, we can safely assume that English is her first language. What would her second language be?

A Rehab Counselor that "forgets" to request a terp for herself???????

She identifies ASL as her third language.

Yeah, I'm a little confused. She says she is a native deaf signer, but then that ASL is her third language. Maybe she means she grew up trilingual, in which case she could be considered a native signer. If she learned ASL after the critical period (about age 12), she is not a native signer.

Maybe she didnt know that being a native signer is someone who acquired ASL during the critical 5 years of language acquisition? It could be she thought anyone who learns ASL at any age is considered a native signer? :dunno:

Yeah, I'm a little confused. She says she is a native deaf signer, but then that ASL is her third language. Maybe she means she grew up trilingual, in which case she could be considered a native signer. If she learned ASL after the critical period (about age 12), she is not a native signer.

Interpretator - Please refrain from commenting unless you have something contructive to add. This topic was not posted here for you to try and "guess" what her first language is or for you to decide whether or not she meets your implied credentials for a "native deaf signer".

She identifies ASL as her third language. Using a TC approach, we can safely assume that English is her first language. What would her second language be?

A Rehab Counselor that "forgets" to request a terp for herself???????

jillio - This is not a topic about what her first language is. Please stick to the topic or refrain from posting.

Thanks

Interpretator - Please refrain from commenting unless you have something contructive to add. This topic was not posted here for you to try and "guess" what her first language is or for you to decide whether or not she meets your implied credentials for a "native deaf signer".

Whoa! What's wrong with questioning the validity of this article? If I learned French now, does that make me a native French user?

jillio - This is not a topic about what her first language is. Please stick to the topic or refrain from posting.

Thanks

I disagree with you. Knowing what this person's first language is critical to the validity of this article.

Whoa! What's wrong with questioning the validity of this article? If I learned French now, does that make me a native French user?

shel90 - You are not questioning the validity of the article,you are questioning how a Deaf individual chooses to identify herself. Again this article is her experience, not analysis of her first language, identity or her favorite food.

Stick to the topic please.

Thanks

I'm confused about something and sincerely would like to know the answer. I thought Cued Speech was developed to help identify the phonetic aspects of the English language, and it was to be used as a tool for teaching and learning literacy. It wasn't meant to be used as a communication modality. Can someone clarify this for me (in a respectful manner, please).

Thanks.

I'm confused about something and sincerely would like to know the answer. I thought Cued Speech was developed to help identify the phonetic aspects of the English language, and it was to be used as a tool for teaching and learning literacy. It wasn't meant to be used as a communication modality. Can someone clarify this for me (in a respectful manner, please).

Thanks.

Lolm has been posting posts about how CS should be used as a communication modality. I thought the same as you about CS being used as a teaching tool. Nothing makes sense anymore.

Thanks.

deafbajagal - May I direct you to the National Cued Speech Association web-site:

National Cued Speech Association

I believe that you will find the answer to your question there.

Lolm has been posting posts about how CS should be used as a communication modality. I thought the same as you about CS being used as a teaching tool. Nothing makes sense anymore.

shel90 - May I direct you to the National Cued Speech Association web-site:

National Cued Speech Association

I believe that you will find the answer to your question there.

I disagree with you. Knowing what this person's first language is critical to the validity of this article.

Exactly. She is claiming to be a native signer, yet claims that ASL is her third langauge. She also states that she uses TC, which implies that her signing is either SEE, or at the most PSE. In that case, her native language would be English, with signing as the mode.

If this inforamtion is being posted in support of something, then questioning the validity of such is perfectly acceptable. The OP has posted, relying on the expertise of the person in question. There are numerous contradicitons in the article posted, leading to questions regarding validity. I guess we are just supposed to accept anything loml posts as the gospel truth. The fact that she becomes so defensoive over any questions tells me that the validity certainly needs to be questioned.

shel90 - You are not questioning the validity of the article,you are questioning how a Deaf individual chooses to identify herself. Again this article is her experience, not analysis of her first language, identity or her favorite food.

Stick to the topic please.

Thanks

No, we are all questioning the validity on the article based on inconsistencies in claims made by the individual. That is perfectly acceptable. This has nothing to do with identity, but with expertise. And it appears to be lacking on numerous counts. Likewise, this individual did not identify herself as Deaf, but as deaf. Therefore, if you do not want things of this nature questions, I would suggest you psot in a forum other than Deaf Culture. This has absolutely nothing to do with culture. It belongs in the Sign Language and Oralism forum. Post in a culture forum, and you can expect questions regarding culture.

hmmm ... maybe she's a native signer , but her first (native) sign language isn't ASL ? e.g. LSF, LSQ, Auslan, Finish Sign etc etc ???

who knows ... I'm debating the validity and practicality of learning CS for Hebrew and Greek Class ... but I'd have to find if any of the ASL/English terps here ... actually know it !
*shrugs*

hmmm ... maybe she's a native signer , but her first (native) sign language isn't ASL ? e.g. LSF, LSQ, Auslan, Finish Sign etc etc ???

who knows ... I'm debating the validity and practicality of learning CS for Hebrew and Greek Class ... but I'd have to find if any of the ASL/English terps here ... actually know it !
*shrugs*

That's a possibility, but would appear to be a remote one, given her claim for having used total communication. Still and all, clarification is needed.

Good luck finding a CS terp.

Mod's Note:

Thread's moved to the proper location.

Now, Whether the language is at validity or not - Please try to stay on the topic rather than letting it steer out of hand. Respectfully, I understand that there are some questions regarding to the "native" sign user. It's confusing as it already is.

A tool is a tool to use for every language, whether it's CS, ASL, so and on.

Respectfully, I understand that there are some questions regarding to the "native" sign user. It's confusing as it already is.

And respectfully, I submit that despite a user's paranoid attacks at anyone who doesn't immediately shout to the heavens about a piece of research, it is absolutely a valid question as to the user's native language. There is simply no use even considering results without this important information, in this particular case.

I have stated many times in the past that I am not against any modality that successfully teaches language, and frankly I'm tired as hell of being accused otherwise. If any highly defensive user wishes to find a quote where I ever said "I am against Cued Speech," I would be MORE than happy to retract it. Since that never happened.

I ask myself why I bother posting in these threads at all, and then I answer "Good question. Time to stop."

And respectfully, I submit that despite a user's paranoid attacks at anyone who doesn't immediately shout to the heavens about a piece of research, it is absolutely a valid question as to the user's native language. There is simply no use even considering results without this important information, in this particular case.

I have stated many times in the past that I am not against any modality that successfully teaches language, and frankly I'm tired as hell of being accused otherwise. If any highly defensive user wishes to find a quote where I ever said "I am against Cued Speech," I would be MORE than happy to retract it. Since that never happened.

I ask myself why I bother posting in these threads at all, and then I answer "Good question. Time to stop."

LOL. Which is why I tend to stay out of cued speech threads. I'm not against cued speech nor do I think it's the salvation to deaf needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back