A Motorcycle Thread About Absolutely Nothing!

Let's have an AD rally at Deal's Gap!! I would love to meet the bikers on this forum in person.

Maybe in the Spring?

:thumb:

most excellent idea, sir!

and ....... there ya have it ....

tank2.jpg

tank1.jpg

...... it needs a dragon somewhere .... (You didn't really think I was gonna leave it all fuzzy looking did you?)

whoa..... that is a huge leap of improvement in look but it looks like Harley Davidson style.

I found a bike for my parts bike - lol.

This is the exact same bike as my parts bike. All it needs is a new valve cover, belt cover and footpeg.

I have a parts bike with all the parts I need (yay). And this bike is virtually rust free:

goldwingbobberproject.jpg

I have been looking for a bike just like this for 3 years. It is in excellent condition but it was dropped on one side.

I also have a very good friend who is from Haiti - he came over the other day and looked at my painting projects. We talked a while, and I came to find out he had a brand new airbrush set that he never used, or even opened the box to. He brought it to me with a "here ya go, have fun - ha ha". :aw:

So - looks like I am gonna have to learn how to draw all over again using an airbrush.

On another note, my friend had his ac unit stolen from his house. The thieves also took 6 other ac units from his neighborhood. It costs about 5 thousand to replace. We had discussed this when he was over the other day. He doesn't know - but I have an agreement with my bank, they have to replace my ac unit. When they do, I am giving him mine.

I loaded up my truck with some red oak firewood and took it over to his house.

been watching this guy's videos:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDyOLiTGhJc]Yucel Freehand Airbrush Dragon True Fire - Harley Bike - YouTube[/ame]

I don't like the skulls, but I like the real flame effect:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeCyYPfvpj8[/ame]

I brought it home last night and started working on it this morning. I went to replace the cracked valve cover and cracked timing belt cover when a chunk of metal fell out :mad:

One of the the timing belt pulleys was warped and broke. I had to pull it off with a gear puller and replace it with one from my parts bike. I then had to cut gaskets and put everything back together.

I was able to get it running for a few seconds --- I won't have time to look at it anymore this week so next week I am going to check the timing.

gearpuller.jpg

Sad isn't it. He apparently did not have common sense. Take it easy and watch where he is going once he get Motorcycle DL. Also he may not have enough experience and practice beforehand.

I've practice riding motorcycle when I was 16 years old on my brother's 1979 Honda 750-4 Super Sport that I was joyriding on it (I actually stole it from my parent's garage every time because he left key in ignition and never bother to hide key.. My brother ended up barrelling out of house shirtless but never get me :giggle: ). I did not have Motorcycle DL at that time and been riding up and down street and around blocks for a year. And riding moped for 1 1/2 years added up my experience of riding motorcycle. 25 years later, I finally got my own motorcycle, I got first Motorcycle DL and I rode it carefully and look ahead. I was leery at first due to new tires which was not broken in and little rusty on negotiating curves so I go slow around curves. It takes time to get used to it.

I've seen few guys and gals riding big motorcycle struggling making slalom around the cones and nearly crashed motorcycle during riding test. It tells me that they did not practice enough to get used to it. Also they did not start with basic (small) motorcycle first before handling bigger one. I must admit that I jumped to big motorcycle but I handled it well enough. It had been 25 years since I haven't ridden motorcycle and it's like a bicycle to me when I got my own last year.

Higher ethanol-gasoline blend damages boat engines

A recent government-funded research done my Mercury Marine through the National Research Energy Lab showed that the two-stroke and four-stroke Mercury engines used for the test had problems while running E15.

The engines were a 9.9 HP four-stroke, a 300 HP supercharged four-stroke and a 200 HP two-stroke.

The report notes that all the engines ran hotter than with E10, which contains up to 10 percent ethanol.

In the E15 testing, the 200 HP engine was destroyed when a rod bearing failed, and the valves in the 300 HP engine broke or cracked, forcing researchers to stop the testing. Researches said the valve damage was due to high metal temperatures. The small engine made it through 300 hours of testing but ran poorly and misfired at the end of testing. It also showed signs of reduced hardness on piston surfaces.

Motorcyclists are urged to contact their federal lawmakers and ask them to support H.R. 3199 to continue research.

Contact your lawmakers through AmericanMotorcyclist.com
.....from the January 2012 AMA issue.

A recent government-funded research done my Mercury Marine through the National Research Energy Lab showed that the two-stroke and four-stroke Mercury engines used for the test had problems while running E15.

The engines were a 9.9 HP four-stroke, a 300 HP supercharged four-stroke and a 200 HP two-stroke.

The report notes that all the engines ran hotter than with E10, which contains up to 10 percent ethanol.

In the E15 testing, the 200 HP engine was destroyed when a rod bearing failed, and the valves in the 300 HP engine broke or cracked, forcing researchers to stop the testing. Researches said the valve damage was due to high metal temperatures. The small engine made it through 300 hours of testing but ran poorly and misfired at the end of testing. It also showed signs of reduced hardness on piston surfaces.

Motorcyclists are urged to contact their federal lawmakers and ask them to support H.R. 3199 to continue research.

Contact your lawmakers through AmericanMotorcyclist.com
.....from the January 2012 AMA issue.

Are they really telling truth? I've used E85 on my lawnmower and had no issue with it. Basically, I just open up jet a bit more so it can run normally. I do not see any wear and tear on small engine. Although it use twice more gas than Unleaded. I love sweet smelling corn exhaust.

I am very sure that they ran 200hp and 300hp engine on bench test with full throttle with load and let it run as many hours which wears out engine comparing to real life usage which are far less than that. Could it be that he is using older engine than the recently new one???. Remember that we just stop and go and shut off/ start engine ect.. This give engine to cool off often. Even in long traffic jams which averaging 30 min to 3 hours on idling. Brazil been using E85 and they had no issue with it. I think the research just making people paranoid over E15.

ON 2 cycle engine. Basically you'll have to keep re-mixing oil/gas because Alcohol and oil do not stick together chemically which gasoline can. Seriously, I am seeing newer weedeaters, leaf blowers, snowblower ect are becoming 4 cycles instead of 2 cycles. They are doing away with 2 cycles due to smog issue and Ethanol becoming commonplace.

All I know that Alcohol are corrosive to rubber pipes and seals. Just replace with one that can resists alcohol. Many newer cars/ truck that have E85 (flex fuel) can run E15 with no issue because it is designed to run on flex fuel. I would support it wholeheartly.

MY motorcycle CAN run on E10, E15 but it'll be a bit weaker. If E15 are becoming commonplace. I would just check my tubings around carburetor and seals inside of it too. I would replace with one with resists Alcohol fuel corrosive effect. Basically, like most motorcycle which are still consider "small engine". It'll run just fine with E85. I don't know about Fuel Injected model.. I would just replace or re-program Black box to allow more fuel in chamber for E85 than it do to Unleaded..

Basically if E85 become commonplace then you'll just have to let it go and ride motorcycle with it.

Catty

If I had spare old Vtwin motorcycle. I would LOVE to put in E85 fuel and see how it goes. I would be happy to post another E85 thread like I did in past regarding to Lawnmower running on E85.

Catty

If I had spare old Vtwin motorcycle. I would LOVE to put in E85 fuel and see how it goes. I would be happy to post another E85 thread like I did in past regarding to Lawnmower running on E85.

Catty

I'm not sure of the details on each of these tests. I just keep reading and posting about it.

I am currently using only Citgo fuel with 93 octane without any ethanol. If I cannot find that, I will use other brands of 93 with 10 percent ethanol.

Maybe I'm just a little paranoid about it. :hmm:

Ok - my 83 GL1100 possibly threw a rod or broke the crank, or bent a valve. I have an 81 GL1100 parts bike with a seized motor. The two motors are exactly the same.

I just purchased the entire gasket engine rebuild kit for the GL1100 for $119 shipped - it has 63 gaskets, includes the crush gaskets for exhaust and valve stem seals. It has everything. My original intention was to take apart both motors and rebuild into one good one. But .... I have been doing part searches online, and came to find out if one motor is seized due to a piston - pistons are cheap! Cranks are cheap! Valves are cheap! Crankchains are ... cheap! I can possibly get BOTH engines running and have 2 WORKING BIKES!!

If that is the case, I am going to make one look like a retro bobber and use the other for long trips. The parts bike will need a lot of replacement parts so that will take me quite a long time. A project for maybe next winter :dunno:

Now .... for a serious unanswered question. I have asked this question on several other biker forums, and no one has an answer. I know that roller rockers are readily available for Harleys and Buells, and are very expensive. Are there any matches for the GL1100??? I want to install roller rockers to decrease metal on metal friction thereby giving a rebuilt motor a heck of a lot longer life. I am not interested in the increased horsepower - just the decreased metal on metal friction.

Can anyone answer this question please? Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure of the details on each of these tests. I just keep reading and posting about it.

I am currently using only Citgo fuel with 93 octane without any ethanol. If I cannot find that, I will use other brands of 93 with 10 percent ethanol.

Maybe I'm just a little paranoid about it. :hmm:

I"ve put in 93 octane with 10% ethanol (it's commonplace here in State of Kansas). NO problem whatsoever. Most important thing is that you should never store your motorcycle with Ethanol in tank. Always put in Seafoam or Fuel Stabilizer and run it for 15 min then store it for rest of winter months. Actually it does not harm engine but you may noticed difference of engine's performance a bit. I've switched Premium and Regular (E10 included) back and forth throughout Spring and Summer. Premium seem to make engine more responsive and smoother while Regular w/ E10 seem to make engine a wee bit sluggish and vibrates a bit more on highway. It took a while to recognize the difference. But overal performance with both fuel on normal ride makes no difference. Sometime I ride hard on highway going 95mph for short distance.

Catty

dang I gotta buy Sta-bil. My riding season was officially over 2 days ago.

Ok - my 83 GL1100 possibly threw a rod or broke the crank, or bent a valve. I have an 81 GL1100 parts bike with a seized motor. The two motors are exactly the same.

I just purchased the entire gasket engine rebuild kit for the GL1100 for $119 shipped - it has 63 gaskets, includes the crush gaskets for exhaust and valve stem seals. It has everything. My original intention was to take apart both motors and rebuild into one good one. But .... I have been doing part searches online, and came to find out if one motor is seized due to a piston - pistons are cheap! Cranks are cheap! Valves are cheap! Crankchains are ... cheap! I can possibly get BOTH engines running and have 2 WORKING BIKES!!

If that is the case, I am going to make one look like a retro bobber and use the other for long trips. The parts bike will need a lot of replacement parts so that will take me quite a long time. A project for maybe next winter :dunno:

Now .... for a serious unanswered question. I have asked this question on several other biker forums, and no one has an answer. I know that roller rockers are readily available for Harleys and Buells, and are very expensive. Are there any matches for the GL1100??? I want to install roller rockers to decrease metal on metal friction thereby giving a rebuilt motor a heck of a lot longer life. I am not interested in the increased horsepower - just the decreased metal on metal friction.

Can anyone answer this question please? Thanks in advance.

Have you checked Ebay? or if you know of any friends who have CNC experience to see if he can make one for ya :giggle: . I would just browse around through Google search. If can't find it, check out local CNC shops and see if they will do that for ya. I don't know how much they will it cost to churn out new rockers with roller.

IMHO, Rocker with roller would help engine last long time and run smoother. Perhap that you might have to adjust the rocker gap a bit more tighter tolerance than standard rocker do. So you won't wear out or dings the roller surface.

Catty

Have you checked Ebay? or if you know of any friends who have CNC experience to see if he can make one for ya :giggle: . I would just browse around through Google search. If can't find it, check out local CNC shops and see if they will do that for ya. I don't know how much they will it cost to churn out new rockers with roller.

IMHO, Rocker with roller would help engine last long time and run smoother. Perhap that you might have to adjust the rocker gap a bit more tighter tolerance than standard rocker do. So you won't wear out or dings the roller surface.

Catty

Thanks Catty, I have had no luck finding roller rockers for my GL1100. I will check around and see if they can be made.

Last night I pulled the motor from my parts bike - the removeable section from the frame was rust rotted and snapped :( I was hoping to get two bikes running, but looks like I could use another frame and it is too early to tell if I can even salvage any parts from this motor.

Back