A Motorcycle Thread About Absolutely Nothing!

not for bikes. It's around 6k-10k or every 2 years. For riders who ride often - probably once a year.

but... why don't you just bleed it instead? it's simpler and safer that way. How do you suck out old brake fluid in the tube anyway? You gotta flush it.

This is a proper kit (or similar) for bleeding brake fluid -
415A50887DL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

it's cheap and simple. only $40 (more or less). I have never heard of people changing brake fluid with turkey basting tube but if using turkey basting tube is how you change brake fluid for cars..... then stay away from my car :lol:

are you sure? Most bikes use DOT 4, not 5. my bike uses DOT 4. Reba's hubby's bike uses DOT 4. so does Ducati bikes and goldwing. it's 2 completely different chemical. Using wrong one will kill your brake system and most likely your life. sure DOT 5 is nice that it doesn't absorb moisture and all. It's a lot of trouble to switch to it and risky! better stick with factory specification.

btw - on bike... if your brake fluid is black.... oh boy....... you're lucky to be in one piece! You should not wait until your brake fluid is black!!!! :nono:

OFC, I use turkey basting tube to suck old brake fluid out then bleed with few brake pump. Some vehicles with ABS are very hard to bleed. Why should I pump brake a lot during brake fluid is full in the master cylinder? So turkey basting save my time.

That's what my college book said about most motorcycles use DOT 5 because it will not hurt painted surfaces. I believe your motorcycle have ABS because DOT 5 is not recommended for use with an ABS. So blame to James D. Halderman.

Yes, I know DOT4 should not mix with other DOT3. Just follow the vehicle manufacturers recommend.

OFC, I use turkey basting tube to suck old brake fluid out then bleed with few brake pump. Some vehicles with ABS are very hard to bleed. Why should I pump brake a lot during brake fluid is full in the master cylinder? So turkey basting save my time.
oic - whatever works for you but you don't need to do that process for motorcycle.

That's what my college book said about most motorcycles use DOT 5 because it will not hurt painted surfaces. I believe your motorcycle have ABS because DOT 5 is not recommended for use with an ABS. So blame to James D. Halderman.
yes. Brake Fluid will destroy your paint.. which is why you shouldn't use the basting tube when changing brake fluid. Just bleed it. flush it. fill it. simple.

btw - James D. Halderman writes textbooks for automobiles, not motorcycle.

Yes, I know DOT4 should not mix with other DOT3. Just follow the vehicle manufacturers recommend.
right. most bikes are DOT 3-4... not 5. perhaps you should put down the textbook and try visiting motorcycle stores. see it for yourself.

oic - whatever works for you but you don't need to do that process for motorcycle.

yes. Brake Fluid will destroy your paint.. which is why you shouldn't use the basting tube when changing brake fluid. Just bleed it. flush it. fill it. simple.

btw - James D. Halderman writes textbooks for automobiles, not motorcycle.

right. most bikes are DOT 3-4... not 5. perhaps you should put down the textbook and try visiting motorcycle stores. see it for yourself.

I will remember for motorcycle in future.

I don't understand why James D. Halderman wrote a little story about motorcycle for brake.

I will remember for motorcycle in future.

I don't understand why James D. Halderman wrote a little story about motorcycle for brake.

no idea. maybe you're missing his point? :dunno: I'll have to read that part so if you can - scan it and post it here?

no idea. maybe you're missing his point? :dunno: I'll have to read that part so if you can - scan it and post it here?

Please!

"Dot 5 is expensive. It is approximately four times the cost of DOT 3 brake fluid. (See Figure 7-3)"

Figure 7-3 (picture of silicone brake fluid DOT 5)
tncarsillrg.jpg

"Dot 5 brake fluid is used mostly in motorcycles because if spilled, it will not hurt painted surface."

That's all his point about motorcycle.

Happy?

ah-ha.... :ty: what is your seat height? mine's at around 29" - dropped 2 inches with Kouba Link. I hate it when most cool bikes are at 31". Because of reduced height - I did grind my foot pegs sometimes... my boots too. :twisted:

I find it strange that you say CBR isn't great at cornering because CBR is 5-times world champion or something. perhaps CBR makes up for poor cornering with its speed at straightaway??? :hmm:

pft whatca ya talking about? I understand you perfectly!

Not sure I can't guess the height on the seat of my gsxr now and i looked up on the site of GSXR's spec information said 44.7 inches i believe that top of the windshield but you can get an idea to measure around under that height. Maybe around 33-36 inches.

I am talking about new brand bikes 2009 all stock not modded/tuned bikes Sorry bud. 09 CBR600RR have a high ABS equipped and weak engine braking but fast on the straight road that's what i heard the words in the wind and never ride on the cbr yet.

I looked up on the top speed reviews, they did test drive every bikes/sportcars, they said 09 cbr600rr's top speed at around 155mph (What the hell it should be higher than gsxr) and 09 gsxr600 did a little over 170mph. CBR have pretty little high ratio should be the faster straight than others expect close to zx6r. I am still researching on them anyhow it's really interesting.

I know it's pretty specific about 600cc bikes not 1000cc but you know that 600cc is faster than 1000cc in twisties road believe it or not I am talking about sportbikes not touring bikes or hd I dont know much about them though. I did read stories from racer guys. I agreed with them I rode my old r1 for over 1 year and half so i decided to back to ride 600cc WHOA it's big difference I feel like I am too easy to ride the 600cc. I don't think I will go to upgrade to 1000cc in my future again.

Please!

"Dot 5 is expensive. It is approximately four times the cost of DOT 3 brake fluid. (See Figure 7-3)"

Figure 7-3 (picture of silicone brake fluid DOT 5)
tncarsillrg.jpg

"Dot 5 brake fluid is used mostly in motorcycles because if spilled, it will not hurt painted surface."

That's all his point about motorcycle.

Happy?

ah. that explains. It means - DOT 5 is MOSTLY used for motorcycles but it doesn't mean MOST motorcycles use DOT 5. it's a tricky wording. He's just explaining what uses DOT 5.

something I learned - DOT 5 is 4x the cost of DOT 3? :eek3: Not really worth it if it's just for paint reason.

Not sure I can't guess the height on the seat of my gsxr now and i looked up on the site of GSXR's spec information said 44.7 inches i believe that top of the windshield but you can get an idea to measure around under that height. Maybe around 33-36 inches.

I am talking about new brand bikes 2009 all stock not modded/tuned bikes Sorry bud. 09 CBR600RR have a high ABS equipped and weak engine braking but fast on the straight road that's what i heard the words in the wind and never ride on the cbr yet.

I looked up on the top speed reviews, they did test drive every bikes/sportcars, they said 09 cbr600rr's top speed at around 155mph (What the hell it should be higher than gsxr) and 09 gsxr600 did a little over 170mph. CBR have pretty little high ratio should be the faster straight than others expect close to zx6r. I am still researching on them anyhow it's really interesting.

I know it's pretty specific about 600cc bikes not 1000cc but you know that 600cc is faster than 1000cc in twisties road believe it or not I am talking about sportbikes not touring bikes or hd I dont know much about them though. I did read stories from racer guys. I agreed with them I rode my old r1 for over 1 year and half so i decided to back to ride 600cc WHOA it's big difference I feel like I am too easy to ride the 600cc. I don't think I will go to upgrade to 1000cc in my future again.

170 mph? :eek3: Not sure I want to go that fast on highway. I just checked... GSXR600 seat height is 31.9" and CBR600RR is 32.3". Dang... I'm a midget :lol: I'm 5'6" and my inseam is 30" so 31.9" is a reach for me but 32.3" nope can't do it.

and yea I do believe you that it's crazy to do twisties on 1000cc unless you're pro like on movie - Torque even though it's so fake. dang it - I surely would like to go on this road!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrKKDGxg-Ag]YouTube - 2008 Middleweight Sport-Touring Shootout BMW F800ST vs Honda VFR800 Interceptor - Motorcycle Review[/ame]

Well.. I don't think i would go that fast in any public roads.. i am looking forward to track my bike in my future but not my main plan yet.

Yeah I live by the skyline drive in virginia.. maybe 2 miles away from my house! lucky me. I will take pictures when i am up there.

Hubby's bike uses DOT 4, as recommended by the maker.

ah. that explains. It means - DOT 5 is MOSTLY used for motorcycles but it doesn't mean MOST motorcycles use DOT 5. it's a tricky wording. He's just explaining what uses DOT 5.

something I learned - DOT 5 is 4x the cost of DOT 3? :eek3: Not really worth it if it's just for paint reason.
Yes, that is the correct way to read that statement. The placement of the word "most" is the key.

Maybe the cost factor in the scheme of things is not important because how often would you need to buy the fluid? Maybe once in the lifetime of your bike ownership?

Hubby suggests, if your brake filler opening is above a painted area, just drape a tarp over the area to protect it.

In City of Shawnee, KS. They allow motorcycle with straight pipe. Loud it can be and it's legal. Because of safety issue on the road. Soccer moms don't pay attention to motorcycle beside her. So loud rumble would be enough to annoys her and get her attention. Group of Harley and Motorcyclist gathered at Shawnee City hall last year and they had a talk with Mayor because they were planning on new Noise ordinance and they worked out the details to make an exception for motorcycle.

I rode my friend's straight piped Harley around my neighborhood. Neighbors sticked thumbed up at me :rofl:

Catty

...I rode my friend's straight piped Harley around my neighborhood. Neighbors sticked thumbed up at me :rofl:

Catty
As long as they're sticking up their thumbs and not the other finger, you're doing fine. :lol:

Damn! I love your area law, I agreed 100%, loud pipe DOES save biker's lives. How? Well, few times I was close to hit by cars and do you know why? Simple put, the driver can not see me due to bright sun and my bike was darn quiet. I wish I had loud pipe so that driver can hear me and realize that I am in front of them.

In City of Shawnee, KS. They allow motorcycle with straight pipe. Loud it can be and it's legal. Because of safety issue on the road. Soccer moms don't pay attention to motorcycle beside her. So loud rumble would be enough to annoys her and get her attention. Group of Harley and Motorcyclist gathered at Shawnee City hall last year and they had a talk with Mayor because they were planning on new Noise ordinance and they worked out the details to make an exception for motorcycle.

I rode my friend's straight piped Harley around my neighborhood. Neighbors sticked thumbed up at me :rofl:

Catty

My pipes are loud and I also ride with my driving lights and high beam on all the time. My light bar actually wiggles a bit so that combined with the high beams create kind of a strobe effect.

Back